Travis

LOVING the re-birth of vinyl records!
Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 3:38 PM Quote
Great to see that Fran and the lads are doing a 10" only release. Downloads might be cheaper, but having a full hard drive of music just isn't the same as having a record collection that you can flick through. Looking through my collection of LP's and CD's and remembering where I bought them(Not that I do it every day or anything!), can take me back to a certain time or place in my life in an instant -my wife bought me '12 Memories' on our first holiday away just after we'd got togther, so I always think about that whenever I get that CD out.

Re: LOVING the re-birth of vinyl records!
paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 3:44 PM Quote
Couldn't agree more : )

Long live the 'hard copy'!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 4:24 PM Quote
Don't know about vinyl because I can't play them but CDs, absolutely. Long live physical objects! Haha.

And by the way, you're under selling it. Downloads (legally this is of course) are a lot of times more expensive than getting the cd from play.com. Its 50/50 I'd say. Lots of deals on play which can make them cheaper whereas they might still be 7 or 8 pound on iTunes. :)

Downloads just aren't as sexy. You wouldn't download your wife from the Internet and never actually get to see her. (though I'm sure plenty would prefer that)

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 7:36 PM Quote
Downloads are good for smaller artists, who might not necessarily be able to release a CD worldwide. They've certainly helped me in my music anyway! : )

I'm all for both camps actually. They all have their uses

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 8:39 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Downloads are good for smaller artists, who might not necessarily be able to release a CD worldwide. They've certainly helped me in my music anyway! : )

I'm all for both camps actually. They all have their uses

Good point. You're right. But I'd be disappointed if a band I really liked released an album download only. That would be terrible.

This debate is been talked about a load of times and my opinion won't change. I love my cd rack against my wall. I want to keep adding to it. :)

mili
mili Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 9:15 PM Quote
I burn my downloads to cds ;^)

I usually only download music I can't easily buy as a cd (I prefer shopping in a shop, not online) or if I only want one song from an album. I don't buy vinyls much anymore, and my listening habits have changed. When I left home and had my first job + flat one of the first purchases was stereos, no cd-player (didn't think I'll ever need one…). I spent half of my salary in second hand vinyl shops. Nowadays I listen to music mainly by the computer or on iPod. At weekends I do the cooking with cds playing. I also make special weekend mixes.

Having said all that, I'm really looking forward to J. Smith vinyl! Occasionally I still browse through my vinyls and freak the kids out with some ancient stuff. I even got a new needle not that long ago.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
You put the downloads onto cd? Do you print all the artwork too? And the booklet?

If no, then that's my point. :) I like all that stuff.

If yes, you might as well spend at most another £1 on buying the album on cd. ;)

If you illegally download, that's another thing entirely.

mili
mili Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 9:39 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
You put the downloads onto cd? Do you print all the artwork too? And the booklet?

If no, then that's my point. :) I like all that stuff.

If yes, you might as well spend at most another £1 on buying the album on cd. ;)

If you illegally download, that's another thing entirely.

Death Cab For Cutie is one excample of a difficult band, I've never seen their cds here, and buying from US is not worth it with all the customs and taxes. Also, I sometimes get an urge to get new music NOW, so I can't wait for two weeks…

I make a cover and put it in a proper case, booklets aren't unfortunately usually available. I even make covers for those saturday night specials.
Cd booklets aren't quite as cool as the old vinyl covers, are they?

I bought David Sylvian's Everything and Nothing from iTunes for € 11,99, in shop it's at least € 24, so you can see the temptation, especially as I'm not a hifi kind of person.

I try to avoid illegal stuff, I think the artist deserves his fees.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 9:50 PM Quote
Well, if you want certain albums you can't get on cd, fair enough! :) I've got nothing against downloads, its just not as special to me. I love having the artwork, cd and everything. Eventually I might have to download my albums (i dont get singles at all) but until then, I'm on play.com or amazon. :) I think it'll be a good few years yet though.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 9:57 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

I did that when I downloaded In Rainbows, it's useful if you haven't got lyrics :) I almost always buy CDs though.

Craigyboy
Craigyboy Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 10:52 PM Quote
Yea i prefer having a hard copy of stuff, i've got vinyl cds and even casettes of music that i love to flick through, downloading is fine i download like one song by an artist if i like them i go buy the album and if you shop about you can usually get it cheaper than you would off of itunes.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 16 Jun, 2008 11:42 PM Quote
I like iTunes cos you can add the cover and then flick through your albums by clicking on the album cover. Kinda the same as browsing, but not quite..

spid
spid Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 8:30 AM Quote
Craigyboy wrote:
Yea i prefer having a hard copy of stuff, i've got vinyl cds and even casettes of music that i love to flick through, downloading is fine i download like one song by an artist if i like them i go buy the album and if you shop about you can usually get it cheaper than you would off of itunes.

This is me really - the odd single or track from iTunes and then if I like it or hear more from the artist I like I buy a hard copy. Not too into cassettes though after a time they degrade or stretch and then you have to replace; at least with vinyl if you are careful it lasts, it's the covers that don't last as long.

I'm in the process of sorting out all my unwanted vinyl etc as it just ends up sitting in the cupboard under the stairs gathering dust. I need to get the record player up and running too for the stuff I intend to keep. I have new needles and everything just no time to mess with it.

A hard copy to hold in the hand though is infinately better than download untouchablility.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 8:47 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:
I like iTunes cos you can add the cover and then flick through your albums by clicking on the album cover. Kinda the same as browsing, but not quite..

Apparently thats why the iphone doesn't have the facilty to download the cover!

There is no doubt that vinyl gives out the best listening quality , except when played on His Masters Voice with a turner and a knitting needle !

mili
mili Posted Tue 17 Jun, 2008 8:57 AM Quote
spid wrote:
Not too into cassettes though after a time they degrade or stretch and then you have to replace; at least with vinyl if you are careful it lasts, it's the covers that don't last as long.

Most of our vinyls have top corner missing since our daughter used them to sooth her itchy gums when she was teething. The records were on the bottom shelf, just in the right hight for her to chew them. I tried to stop her, but as soon as you turned your back, she was there again…

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:33 PM