Travis

Job hunting - Advices needed
AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 8:21 AM Quote
Hi !

I was hired for a job whre ppl were very unfriendly, the company was going through major changes and ppl (my colleagues especially) were afraid of losing their job.
The whole thing made me ill and the company claims I used my "sick leave" (paper from the doctor) to go on vacation.

My concern is that i got the job through a temp agency and i have the feeling they don't trust me anymore.
What do I do ?

Re: Job hunting - Advices needed
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 10:33 AM Quote
I dont pretend to know the legal side of things in France. But at the time you maybe should have forced them to prove their case.
If your doctor has given documentation that you were unwell enough not to work , then they would have to prove otherwise.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 12:19 PM Quote
I am definitely the last to give job hunting advices but is it possible that your agency don't hear about your vacation and think you are just having rest in your apartment during the break?

Joe
Joe Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 2:26 PM Quote
I'm also looking for a job, just a 6 month placement.
Here's what I do:
¤ Directly approach well-known companies; send a C.V. and Cover Letter (L.M.), then chase it up with a call a week or so later. Do this even if they don't have a job ad up, as you sometimes get lucky.

¤ Look on reputable job search engines (e.g. Gumtree.com) and do the same. When you find an ad, check the company's website to see if it looks dodgy or not. A quick way to tell a dodgy company is if they have lots of spelling mitakes or little punctuation in the ad or on the website; if they can't hire someone who can spell properly, they're probably sheisters.

¤ Ask plenty of questions at the job interview: Don't forget, you may be selling your services and competency, bt they're also selling their position. Don't let them forget it, but don't be too aggressive either.

So that's about it for me. I'm off to my only lecture of the day (God! I love English Unis!).

bye so!
Joe

Joe
Joe Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 2:29 PM Quote
Oh, and one other thing; when you see "candidates must have flexible working hors" in a job ab, read it as meaning "candidate will be expected to work late every other night".

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 4:52 PM Quote
Thanks everybody.
I'm going to ring the temp agency to meet and see how it goes.
They never supported me when i was having problems with the company so it was plain to see on what side they were.
If they are professionnal as they claim they are they should have listened to my side of the story.

If they don't need my skills/attributes and knowledge then i'll them bolloxs. LOL

pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 5:56 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Thanks everybody.
I'm going to ring the temp agency to meet and see how it goes.
They never supported me when i was having problems with the company so it was plain to see on what side they were.
If they are professionnal as they claim they are they should have listened to my side of the story.

If they don't need my skills/attributes and knowledge then i'll them bolloxs. LOL

Yeah, fuck´em!

You go, Abs!

pixiedixie
pixiedixie Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 6:01 PM Quote
Ahem... sorry for all the effing...

Having a rough day to day.... Ups!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 6:08 PM Quote
Abs, I don't know if this is your first time working for a temp agency or not, but even at nice companies, temps aren't generally treated very well. They are either made to feel stupid or ignored entirely. It's almost like being a substitute teacher in a way.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 6:53 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Abs, I don't know if this is your first time working for a temp agency or not, but even at nice companies, temps aren't generally treated very well. They are either made to feel stupid or ignored entirely. It's almost like being a substitute teacher in a way.

at least teacher get the holidays !

mili
mili Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 8:04 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Here if you're a sub you don't get paid on your holidays.
I had a chat with a lady who works for at the daycare center my kids went to, and she told me she's been there for 7,5 years now, and every summer they lay her off for 2-3 months.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 8:11 PM Quote
mili wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I had a chat with a lady who works for at the daycare center my kids went to, and she told me she's been there for 7,5 years now, and every summer they lay her off for 2-3 months.

do ppl work somewhere else in these 2-3 months ?

mili
mili Posted Tue 29 Apr, 2008 8:27 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
mili wrote:
AbsolutPurple wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

do ppl work somewhere else in these 2-3 months ?

No, they get unemployment benefit. They are entitled to some holiday money after working for a certain time. Even a week's gig earns you some pennies towards holiday :^P.
I'm self employed/freelancer, so I don't get paid when I'm not working. Would be nice to get some holiday money for free...

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:26 AM