Travis

Flatmate Rant
Moray
Moray Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 8:56 PM Quote
Since Lauren uses the board as a venting place for room mates, it's my turn!

I bought my flat I'm in and I've had four different flatmates, and the similarities between each person of how annoying being a landlord is and living with people can be is incredible.

Right, flatmate history - when I was at uni I lived with my sisters (no parents) in a flatshare, so I'm used to living with family. And I don't have brothers so maybe I'm unaware of typical 'guy' type traits that maybe I haven't picked up, since technically I only started living with blokes who weren't my dad after I graduated uni.

I've worked hard to make my place look pretty nice. It looks and feels like a home, and not a bedsit, not a student flat, not rental accomodation. But every person who's lived here treats it as if it were student accomodation that they don't give a fuck about. It's a basic lack of respect, as it's all my stuff here that they are renting off. Such examples are:

- Doing the dishes when they feel like, but never drying or putting them away. And never using disinfectant on surfaces

- Having no concept of what a hoover is

- Taking control of the channel changer, constantly changing channel, and never saying "Hey, do you want to watch this, or do you fancy watching something else tonight"

- having no concept of what furniture polish is

- Having no concept of what cleaning a bathroom is

- Not wearing socks around this house (This is a particular bug bear of mine. Why do I have to look at your feet all evening. Put a pair of socks on).

- Biting nails, sniffing, coughing. All the time!

Anyway, what I can't understand is everyone treats it exactly the same way. Am I expecting too much? is this how single late twenties guys should live? The current guy is thirty. Which brings me to another point. Why the fuck, when you're age thirty would you want to live with another man? It's just weird and sad. get a woman, or live on your own. I can't wait to go back to living on my own again.

Re: Flatmate Rant
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:03 PM Quote
I know too many people in their late 20s and 30s who still live with their mothers.

I reckons you should move all their stuff and put it somewhere where they can't find it straightaway. And put their beds outside. Ha!.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:04 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
Why the fuck, when you're age thirty would you want to live with another man?

If you were gay?

Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:05 PM Quote
Well I've only shared a flat once, which was when I lived in Glasgow. I shared it with a couple who had one bedroom, and I had the other bedroom.

I quickly found out that the basic rule of sharing a flat is agreeing on the level of cleaning. We actually made up some rules about who cleans what when, at it worked. Of course, this means that flatmates must have the same standards, which isn't exactly a given thing. Then there's the 'respect the other person' aspect.

Somehow I think it's better to be a bit, err, bitchy (dunno what men are lol) and demand that your flatmate do his part of the housekeeping, and take the confrontations.

But honestly... I'm rather happy that I live in a flat that I can afford on my own so that I don't have to share - at least not til I find a man that I want to live with :oP

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:08 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
MoraySwan wrote:
Why the fuck, when you're age thirty would you want to live with another man?

If you were gay?

Aye sorry, that should be implicit, massive disclaimer, thats not what I'm getting at, I'm taking that as a given.

I can understand two guys living togther in a co-dependant relationship, same as any other couple living together makes sense.

It's two guys living together as flatmates I don't get. Friends & Men Behaving Badly seems to have glamourised it, when it seems to m the reality is that it's totally shit! It turns into some shitty alpha male fight for dominance pissing contest!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:13 PM Quote
I don't even want to start talking about my flatmate. Ugh.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:18 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

Tell em , that your accordian means alot to you and to chill or you'll stab em in the face

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 9:20 PM Quote
Come on megg, this is your forum. Let it all out! We're listening!

Esteban
Esteban Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:25 PM Quote
I was just messing with you Moray, I didn't really think you hadn't considered that. I've no experience of what you're talking about, having lived with my folks until I moved in with my girlfriend, but no matter who it is you're with, misunderstandings can happen, and there are often discrepancies between her 'aceeptable' and my 'acceptable', I guess in a relationship you compromise far easier than you do with someone you have a different connection with.

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:29 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:
I guess in a relationship you compromise far easier than you do with someone you have a different connection with.

Sums up my entire point better than I could!

varz
varz Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:31 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

Know the feeling there..

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:32 PM Quote
varz wrote:
megg_inc wrote:

Know the feeling there..

Glad to know I'm not alone...

varz
varz Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:33 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
varz wrote:
megg_inc wrote:

Know the feeling there..

Glad to know I'm not alone...

Nope. Although I remember when we were really good friends, living together totally changes a friendship!

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:36 PM Quote
varz wrote:

Nope. Although I remember when we were really good friends, living together totally changes a friendship!

We've never been close with my flatmate. It won't change I guess.

varz
varz Posted Wed 05 Mar, 2008 10:37 PM Quote
No, probably not.. You never know though! Have to say I'm actually looking forward to moving back home for a year after uni! No flatmates, just family!

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:13 AM