Travis

Q2
baby faced woman
baby faced woman Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:36 AM Quote
1 He is taller than her.
2 He is taller than she.

Which is right English sentence(grammer) ?

Re: Q2
la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 8:36 AM Quote
He is taller than her.

Hello, by the way:)

baby faced woman
baby faced woman Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 8:44 AM Quote
Hello!
Genki ka? :)

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 8:48 AM Quote
Haha unfortunately I've forgotten almost all the Japanese I'd learnt in those 14 days but I do remember this: arigato gozaimas!

baby faced woman
baby faced woman Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 9:08 AM Quote
I asked " How are you ?" :)
I hope that you are doing well!

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 2:37 PM Quote
Aah ok :) I'm doing well, thanks for asking! And how about yourself?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 3:28 PM Quote
Technically, it should be "He is taller than she." The reason for this--you are leaving off "is." You would say, "He is taller than she is." You would NOT say, "He is taller than her is." So, it is she.

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 4:51 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Technically, it should be "He is taller than she." The reason for this--you are leaving off "is." You would say, "He is taller than she is." You would NOT say, "He is taller than her is." So, it is she.

I thought about that, but then in the sentence 'than' is used as a preposition which is comparing a quality(adjective), so the pronoun following it must be in the objective case... but your explanation sounds more logical so I guess that's it :)

EDIT:

From dictionary.com:

Usage Note: Since the 18th century grammarians have insisted that than should be regarded as a conjunction in all its uses, so that a sentence such as Bill is taller than Tom should be construed as an elliptical version of the sentence Bill is taller than Tom is. According to this view, the case of a pronoun following than is determined by whether the pronoun serves as the subject or object of the verb that is "understood." Thus, the standard rule requires Pat is taller than I (not me) on the assumption that this sentence is elliptical for Pat is taller than I am but allows The news surprised Pat more than me, since this sentence is taken as elliptical for The news surprised Pat more than it surprised me. However, than is quite commonly treated as a preposition when followed by an isolated noun phrase, and as such occurs with a pronoun in the objective case: John is taller than me. Though this usage is still widely regarded as incorrect, it is predominant in speech and has reputable literary precedent, appearing in the writing of such respected authors as Shakespeare, Johnson, Swift, Scott, and Faulkner. It is also consistent with the fact that than is clearly treated as a preposition in the than whom construction, as in a poet than whom (not than who) no one has a dearer place in the hearts of his countrymen. Still, the writer who risks a sentence like Mary is taller than him in formal writing must be prepared to defend the usage against objections of critics who are unlikely to be dissuaded from the conviction that the usage is incorrect. ยท Comparatives using as . . . as can be analyzed as parallel to those using than. Traditional grammarians insist that I am not as tall as he is the only correct form; in formal writing, one should adhere to this rule. However, one can cite both literary precedent and syntactic arguments in favor of analyzing the second as as a preposition (which would allow constructions such as I am not as tall as him).

That means you're correct!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 4:56 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

No, I think that "He is taller than her" is a proper formation in it's own right.

Also, people are going to think you're wrong if you say "He is taller than she." No-one says that. To avoid confusion, you could say "He is taller than she is," but don't miss the last word!

Why can't English be simple? :)

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 7:13 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Why can't English be simple? :)

Hahaha, English grammar is easy! For me, the most difficult are phrasal verbs. I hate them, I really do! :p

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 23 Feb, 2008 10:03 PM Quote
What people say and what is correct are often two different things.

baby faced woman
baby faced woman Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 6:14 AM Quote
Some Travis fans, Thanks for answering my Q2. :)
After all,
1 He is taller than her.
This is the correct(better) English sentence, right?

And If I wanna use "she" after than....I have to say
"she is" after than, right ?
2 He is taller than she is.

English Grammer is sometimes difficult for me...
Japanese and English are quite different... :(

baby faced woman
baby faced woman Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 6:16 AM Quote
la femme qui wrote:
Aah ok :) I'm doing well, thanks for asking! And how about yourself?

I am sleepy today. :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 6:26 AM Quote
I think I always say it wrong then. I always say "You're taller than me", when I should say "You're taller than I".
Thanks for the info!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 24 Feb, 2008 2:18 PM Quote
baby faced woman wrote:
Some Travis fans, Thanks for answering my Q2. :)
After all,
1 He is taller than her.
This is the correct (better) English sentence, right?

And If I wanna use "she" after than....I have to say
"she is" after than, right ?
2 He is taller than she is.

Yeah, either of those are fine.

Don't worry about being bad at English grammar, you can see that it confuses us sometimes! Japanese is so different to English that it must be really hard to start learning it, you write really well anyway :)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:47 AM