Travis

Jeff Buckley - bit of a knob?
1/3 of Suggestive Leg
1/3 of Suggestive Leg Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:16 PM Quote
Well, the way he died was knob worthy.

Why must record companies cash in on him every few years? 10 years since he died, ooo, lets release another Grace plus random bits compilation!

Put the money into a new band who need a chance for god's sake! The album's not that great!

Re: Jeff Buckley - bit of a knob?
Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:18 PM Quote
The album's great and I'm sure he would have made more great albums if he hadn't been such a tosser and decided to go bathing in a river.

No album justifies being released ten times with crappy home-made demos as a bonus. It just seems like they're trying to squeeze out all the money they can.

1/3 of Suggestive Leg
1/3 of Suggestive Leg Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:20 PM Quote
It's just so frustrating. Maybe he would have released more good stuff. But he didn't. He died. Being a twat.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:23 PM Quote

How someone's sad death can be described as "knob worthy" is beyond me ...

1/3 of Suggestive Leg
1/3 of Suggestive Leg Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:26 PM Quote
Because it was entirely unnecessary.

Andrew
Andrew Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:27 PM Quote
You're lucky I'm headed out!

However I agree on the whole needless reissues thing. That greatest hits thing is a joke too. His greatest hits was 'Grace' end of.

But something I have seen speculated is that the reason we get these albums is to complete his contract. However many albums (i can't remember) he signed up with Sony for in his contract and they're still perfectly entitled to hold his estate to that contract even after his death.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:27 PM Quote
1/3 of Suggestive Leg wrote:

I'm sure he didn't have much say in the matter.

1/3 of Suggestive Leg
1/3 of Suggestive Leg Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:29 PM Quote
Seriously? Jesus. That's like the small print on rent contracts tend to say that if you die, the landlord is still entitled to the rent.

1/3 of Suggestive Leg
1/3 of Suggestive Leg Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:29 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

I'm sure he didn't have much say in the matter.

He went swimming in a huge violent river. What did he really expect?

Sunny
Sunny Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 9:32 PM Quote

He went swimming in a huge violent river. What did he really expect?

Maybe he was just a bit thick? But that doesn't mean to say it was "knob worthy" ..

Anyway, whatever ...

Esteban
Esteban Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 10:22 PM Quote
I took a long time to reply to this thread, purely because I couldn't believe what I was reading from some quarters.

A drugs overdose is knob worthy, putting a shotgun in your mouth is knob worthy, for all we know this was an accident, there's certianly nothing evidential to show that he was suicidal.

Knob worthy - No.
Reckless - Maybe.

I love the music of Jeff Buckley, but seriously, his estate (particularly his mother) seem hellbent on drip-feeding the world everything he ever did for maximum revenue.

Just do what Nirvana did, get the lot on a triple CD box set and have done with it. It'll sell if it's good enough, regardless of how often the music buyer is slapped around the face with it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 10:29 PM Quote

I was actually listening to Grace earlier today, I had to turn it off about 4 songs in, I find him really self indulgent, also going by the pictures on the CD cover and inlay this was obviously a man who loved himself, I just don't see what the big fuss is, I bought Grace cause it's supposed to be one of the most important ablums of the 20th century, personally I don't see it. I don't find it particularly well written, it didn't breakany new ground, his voice is good but not great.

But that's only my opinion, make of it what you will.

Slainte

Dubz

Esteban
Esteban Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 10:34 PM Quote
I think his sense of humour and personality could be interpreted more than one way, so I can probably see where you're coming from with that Dubz.

Having read and watched interviews he gave, to me he was a humble man, who was very comfortable with the whole concept of mortality, good and bad. I think he had a very 'que sera sera' attitude to life which is reflected in some of his lyrics. I think it's a great album, however I don't particularly see it as 'important', whatever that means, I never understood the concept of musical importance too much.

1/3 of Suggestive Leg
1/3 of Suggestive Leg Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 10:37 PM Quote
I'm so glad this vaguely sparked off some debate because normally it's just 'Jeff Buckley was amazing the end' and I never really got it!

Possibly was being a bit harsh about his death.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 10:39 PM Quote
I'm so glad this vaguely sparked off some debate because normally it's just 'Jeff Buckley was amazing the end' and I never really got it!

Possibly was being a bit harsh about his death.

I think his music was great and stuff because the words resonates with me personally. That's all music has to do to make me fall for it. He also had an unbelievable voice as well, which not even his greatest detractors can deny. I think you can be let off being harsh, I'm sure you didn't mean it!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:42 PM