Travis

Donorshow
Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 8:06 PM Quote
Talked about it earlier this week. In the end it has been decided that BNN was allowed to go through with it.
Just wanted tell the people you want to know, how the show was made.
First of all, thank god it is not a "glitter and glamour show"
There is great emphasis on asking the viewers to become donor.
The people in the show are already matched to Lisa (tissue etc). They started with 25 people they were presented als photo's, Lisa had to make choises in order to choose the three persons who will "compete" for her kidney.
That was aweful to see, her first choises were quite understandable things like: smokers, the people older than 50. Then it came to things like: people younger then 18 (because they are more likely to get a transplant), people that had no job, and then it came down to who she thought deserved the kidney. That made my stomac turn. She realises she is playing for God, she actually said it.
Now the three candidates are being introduced.

I think the show is targeted at young people, there is a lot of slang and informal use of language. It is a strange phenomenon. So far i'm still at my first opinion, this should not be done this way.

Re: Donorshow
Hanne
Hanne Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 8:10 PM Quote
At least this program has started quite a debate about donors. In this country the media have discussed this subject all week as well, and I think the same is true for Germany.

But I agree with you, it's too much cos it's a matter of life and death. Mind, I read an interview with the manager of Endemol (I think he was) and he said that if they decided to send up a plane to crash with ten people and nine parachutes, they would have enough contestants for that as well. Only problem would be getting permission for sending up the plane.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 8:15 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:
At least this program has started quite a debate about donors. In this country the media have discussed this subject all week as well, and I think the same is true for Germany.

But I agree with you, it's too much cos it's a matter of life and death. Mind, I read an interview with the manager of Endemol (I think he was) and he said that if they decided to send up a plane to crash with ten people and nine parachutes, they would have enough contestants for that as well. Only problem would be getting permission for sending up the plane.

That's unthinkable. The strange thing is that people who actually do that (make planes crash) end up on the most wanted list of interpol. strange world we live in. I have to say that the stories of the three candidates are very impressive. I think that brings people to become donor.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 7:30 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:

strange world we live in. I have to say that the stories of the three candidates are very impressive. I think that brings people to become donor.

Sounds pretty controversial. But if their aim is increase donor awareness, then that's good.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:32 PM