Travis

Can we try lyrics now?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 7:14 PM Quote
Anybody up to doing some writing now? Someone (maybe Fran?) can give us a song title and we have to write two stanzas and a chorus. No music, just lyrics.

Good way to avoid homework, housework, something for insomniacs to think about at night...anybody wanna?

Re: Can we try lyrics now?
Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Anybody up to doing some writing now? Someone (maybe Fran?) can give us a song title and we have to write two stanzas and a chorus. No music, just lyrics.

Good way to avoid homework, housework, something for insomniacs to think about at night...anybody wanna?

What a GREAT idea Kayte!

Please Fran :) Can we please have a few song titles to write lyrics to? That would be so fun!!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 8:57 PM Quote
I'd just like someone to write me some lyrics so I can make a song around them! I don't really like writing lyrics. :p I have loads of melodies 'lying around', and it depresses me to think I'm gonna have to write lyrics for all of 'em if I'm gonna record them lol.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 9:14 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
I'd just like someone to write me some lyrics so I can make a song around them! I don't really like writing lyrics. :p I have loads of melodies 'lying around', and it depresses me to think I'm gonna have to write lyrics for all of 'em if I'm gonna record them lol.

That never stopped Radiohead! No, but I know what you mean, I have piles of melodies and piles of lyrics that never quite fit. And the lines that come into my head with a new melody (when you suddenly get a random phrase appearing with a nice tune!) are always stupidly worded.

If you leave this thread a bit, you'll have lots of songs written for you!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 23 Jan, 2008 9:14 PM Quote

That's why I think writing music first is harder. Because now you have to make your lyrics fit in with your music and you might have to change what you want to express just to cram it in within a certain amount of beats per measure.

I guess my brain just doesn't work that way anyway. There is no way that I could compose just music with no words. It would seem so...I don't know...empty?

Maybe that's why I'm not a big fan of classical music. My husband listens to it while he paints and it drives me crazy that there is no singer!

If this song writing thing goes through, maybe you can scam some of our songs.

bara
bara Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 11:54 AM Quote
its a good idea i think.
but i dont feel like im able to write good lyrics..

paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 12:30 PM Quote
What about those two songs someone was on about the other day? 'Not About To Change' and 'Eye of the Needle'

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Thu 24 Jan, 2008 9:52 PM Quote
Great idea :)
I tend to have lyrics lying around that I never get to write music too, so this would be right up my alley, lol :P
They're mostly crap though. And it's kinda sad that I never get to hear what they'd sound like if I just gave it a go with a melody.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 12:44 AM Quote
You should write lyrics to the song that girl requested the other day. She wanted something about Towers, LOL

heysupernova
heysupernova Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 12:57 AM Quote
great idea, loved it! lyrics should be funny, or just real? cause i'd love to write funny lyrics, but in english is a little bit hard :P i'll do my best anyway, when someone give us a tittle to work on (towers? xD)

Re: FAO: FRAN--Can we try lyrics now?
minsidesoutside_lds
minsidesoutside_lds Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 4:11 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

yes!! I want!
Is a need for me to write as an "escape" (so for me would be to avoid a therapist jeje!). Until now or tomorrow,I always do it in spanish (no need to add reason, isn't it?)

Hope Fran open the challenge :)

minsidesoutside_lds
minsidesoutside_lds Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 4:43 AM Quote

i'm the inverse of what you said.
I can't create a melody by myself, but writing lyrics now and then is a need to let burning thoughts out of me.
Why don't you search inside yourself, things you wanted to tell to somebody and you couldn't, or you can't do it face to face or is late to say (anger, love, whatever). Why don't you search inside of you and tell about what did you live, what do you see? i find this in Travis lyrics...

Hope you give it a try!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 1:11 PM Quote
minsidesoutside_lds wrote:

i'm the inverse of what you said.
I can't create a melody by myself, but writing lyrics now and then is a need to let burning thoughts out of me.
Why don't you search inside yourself, things you wanted to tell to somebody and you couldn't, or you can't do it face to face or is late to say (anger, love, whatever). Why don't you search inside of you and tell about what did you live, what do you see? i find this in Travis lyrics...

Hope you give it a try!

Yeah, I think I must be a pretty empty person then 'cos I can't conjure up anything I wanna sing about! I mean I have done, but they've all been written now. I've got about 12 or so complete songs with lyrics 'n everything though, so I guess I'll focus on recording them for now.

I also often find poems easier to write than songs. I like writing poetically, but sometimes that style doesn't translate too well into a song. I do tend to like more poetic lyrics in songs though, with lots of imagery and words that just sound nice and flow. :p If that makes any sense.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 1:18 PM Quote
I do tend to like more poetic lyrics in songs though, with lots of imagery and words that just sound nice and flow. :p If that makes any sense.

I really like poetic songs - it feels like the lyrics are important too, like the techniques in Driftwood and some of the nice lines in Indefinitely.

Oh, and I think it's more that other people are full than you are empty!

Can we try lyrics now?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 25 Jan, 2008 2:05 PM Quote

Yeah, I think I must be a pretty empty person then 'cos I can't conjure up anything I wanna sing about! I mean I have done, but they've all been written now. I've got about 12 or so complete songs with lyrics 'n everything though, so I guess I'll focus on recording them for now.

I also often find poems easier to write than songs. I like writing poetically, but sometimes that style doesn't translate too well into a song. I do tend to like more poetic lyrics in songs though, with lots of imagery and words that just sound nice and flow. :p If that makes any sense.

You're not an empty person. You're just full of something else (wait, not what you think, stick with me here, a compliment is coming). You're just full of music instead of words. Like I was saying before, we all have different talents.

And there's really not much difference between a poem and a song. Poetic lyrics are great. Makes a song more meaty. You seem to be a thinking type of person, I imagine you could write a beautiful song.

I've written a few poems back in the college days, but I've never really written a song. It'll be a first for me.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:02 AM