Travis

Girls who swear
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:02 PM Quote
I'm just watching The Wright Stuff and it seems women don't like other women swearing. Men don't like women swearing. But it's not that bad when men swear.

What does everyone think?

Re: Girls who swear
spid
spid Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:06 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
I'm just watching The Wright Stuff and it seems women don't like other women swearing. Men don't like women swearing. But it's not that bad when men swear.

What does everyone think?

My best mate swears like a trooper - and it's just part of her personality and i wouldn't have it any other way - my hubby says i swear more after having seen her. I try not to swear in the house in front of the kids and sometimes i think some people swear because they can't use their brains to think of a better adjective (but that's the controlling virgo english teacher in me). I think it doesn't matter what gender you are if you swear you do. Moderation is good cos then when you do swear it has a greater impact.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:12 PM Quote
Coz I don't really understand why some females would think it's not nice for women to swear but alrite for men to. These are sometimes the same women who want equal rights n that...

spid
spid Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:18 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
Coz I don't really understand why some females would think it's not nice for women to swear but alrite for men to. These are sometimes the same women who want equal rights n that...

Double standards. they want their cake and eat it AND stay slim! Swear away girly, i don't mind and i'm big into women's rights!

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:22 PM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:

another example of sexism (as per the discussion yesterday). It's ok for men cause they're men.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:23 PM Quote
I dont like swearing in a conversation by either sex unless a particular situaton calls for it . The use is then justified and has the meaning it was supoosed to have , which is to accentuate in anger. Its general use is appalling to me and for some reason does sound that bit worse coming from a woman

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 12:37 PM Quote
swearing is an art , it's gotta be used at the right time . Otherwise it's just shit

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 1:46 PM Quote
spid wrote:
Lemon Grinner wrote:

Double standards. they want their cake and eat it AND stay slim! Swear away girly, i don't mind and i'm big into women's rights!

good! I like swearing, just not when it's every single word in a sentence. My female friends say you shouldn't swear in front of a guy, 'cause he may not like it and you'd miss your chance. But come on! I am who I am, I talk how I talk- if someone doesn't like it, how could it possibly work out either way?

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 1:54 PM Quote
I swear xD. Not all the time, but if it's necessary, it's necessary. Whether you're a man or woman :oP

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 2:04 PM Quote
I'm going to carefully check my wording here, just incase after yesterdays debacle ;o)

For me it's more about social situations and etiquette as opposed to gender. i.e. formal occasions, no swearing. First dates no swearing. Chilling with the parents/older relatives no swearing. Whereas hanging out with my pals or sisters - swear at an appropriate level, compared to how much the other people around me use foul language! I don't mind swearing, as long as it's done properly (e.g. my younger sister is great at insults. She has many cracking turns of phrases including "shit whore" among others)

I find my work quite funny. I work as an Engineer, for an Oil & Gas firm, which was traditionally quite a male-centric industry. So there's quite a few dinosaurs of guys from the old days, who are basically used to working in a big boys club. It's amazing the colorful language they use. I swear, there's one guy here who uses "Fuck" as a noun, verb, adjective, etc in every conversation. Typical conversation I had this morning:

"We need to fucking sort these fucking lights out. It's not fucking right. Some fucking fuck has fucking installed them all fucking wrong, with the wrong fucking type of fucking fitting".

Seriously impressive swearage!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 2:10 PM Quote
I was told once ,

" GAWD dam it ! you made me use a fucking profanity "

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 2:22 PM Quote
MoraySwan wrote:
i.e. formal occasions, no swearing. First dates no swearing. Chilling with the parents/older relatives no swearing. Whereas hanging out with my pals or sisters - swear at an appropriate level, compared to how much the other people around me use foul language!

Ahh yes, I do that.

MoraySwan wrote:
"We need to fucking sort these fucking lights out. It's not fucking right. Some fucking fuck has fucking installed them all fucking wrong, with the wrong fucking type of fucking fitting".

lol
In Polish there are so many different swear words, you could easily use only the 'bad ones' and still be able to talk about everything. Some people do that, sometimes it's funny to hear such conversation- you have no idea what they're talking about, but they understand each other perfectly without using any name, verb, noun, whatever!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 2:26 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:

lol
In Polish there are so many different swear words, you could easily use only 'bad ones' and still be able to talk about everything. Some people do that, sometimes it's funny to hear such conversation- you have no idea what they're talking about, but they understand each other perfectly without using any name, verb, noun, whatever!

this what you're learning at the UNI ? , tsk tsk tsk

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 2:32 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

this what you're learning at the UNI ? , tsk tsk tsk

we don't have to learn, we're born with it here ;P
But, as I said, I don't like when someone talks only like that.

Yulia Nox
Yulia Nox Posted Thu 10 Jan, 2008 2:54 PM Quote
I have female friends that swear more than my male friends, and the guys don't mind at all, neither do the girls :s

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:23 PM