Travis

For Those With Kids: A Chocolaty, Pepperminty Story
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 Dec, 2007 5:48 PM Quote
This is a cautionary tale. Do not leave your children unattended. One example why.

Usually I take my shower before my husband leaves for work. Today he ran late, so I ran late. I dropped my older daughter off at school and then took my shower while my 2-year-old daughter and 4-year-old son did...what they did.

Upon leaving the bathroom, I could detect the distinct aroma of peppermint in the air. Peppermint? Why should it smell like peppermint? Welllll, let me tell you why it smells like peppermint. I found my 2-year-old daughter sitting on top of the kitchen counter with a whole bar of Ghirardelli chocolate in one hand and a bottle of pure peppermint extract in the other. My 4-year-old did not participate in the act, but certainly in the feast, as evidenced by his chocolaty face. By the looks of things they consumed about 4 ounces of chocolate between them. As for the peppermint--I have no idea where they spilled it. I haven't found a wet spot yet. I can't figure out where it's coming from because the smell is so strong that it smells like peppermint EVERYWHERE. Every room in the house, even upstairs and the basement. Now that I held the bottle to rinse it off, I smell like peppermint. Peppermint is a nice smell in moderation; however, I think I have hit my limit. I am no longer enjoying it. Do I open all my windows in this below-freezing weather? I guess I do. I will count my blessings, though. There are much worse things they could have spilled and much worse places they could have spilled it, right?

Re: For Those With Kids: A Chocolaty, Pepperminty Story
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 04 Dec, 2007 6:31 PM Quote
Oh that is so funny. It seems even if they tried to drink some of the peppermint extract it would take about a 1/32nd tsp. to realize that it doesn't taste as good as it smells. So that's good news because that could make them puke peppermint scented chocolate.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 04 Dec, 2007 6:42 PM Quote
don't have a baby yet....but did the peppermint have alcohol in it ?

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 04 Dec, 2007 7:08 PM Quote
sounds like you had two "aftereights" in the house:)
I'll be sure to keep the peppermint AND chocolate behind lock and key:)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 04 Dec, 2007 7:36 PM Quote
I took a look at the bottle. Only 89% alcohol! The funny thing is, she managed to spill the bottle without removing the cap all the way. I already keep my chocolate and baking stuff in an upper cabinet. Sheesh! What a climber. And how did she know to get the Ghirardelli and not the unsweetened Baker's chocolate?

Song of the day: I could go with Incense and Peppermints, but that's too cliche, so I vote for this because the dancing is so much better. Wait for the guitar solo and twist, baby!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WIvZu4dPQQ

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:25 PM