Travis

For anyone in Scotland
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 6:03 PM Quote
I was reading a (not very good) fictional story yesterday about a guy from Texas who inherited property in Scotland. The place was called McCasland Hall. McCasland is my maiden name. I was wondering, are there any McCaslands still in Scotland? If someone could leaf through a phone directory or something, I'd be much obliged. I've tried to find out through the internet before, but never found an answer.

Re: For anyone in Scotland
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 6:18 PM Quote
Your turtle picture is a bit scary! He looks like he's being dragged off to be made into soup.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 6:20 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
Your turtle picture is a bit scary! He looks like he's being dragged off to be made into soup.

a tad scary ? you're kidding !

i never realised what it was but it scared me all the same.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 6:23 PM Quote
I thought he looked happy, like HEY! I'M SWIMMING!!!

Wait a minute...neither one of you are from Scotland!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 6:36 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

To you he looks happy, to me he looks like he's on a death march. RIP Turtle.

Well, OK, technically I'm not from Scotland by my grandmother's family came from there a loooooong time ago. Does this count for nothing????

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 6:41 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

that's why you can understand our english

lol

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 6:48 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

To you he looks happy, to me he looks like he's on a death march. RIP Turtle.

Well, OK, technically I'm not from Scotland by my grandmother's family came from there a loooooong time ago. Does this count for nothing????

Well, there you go! That explains our similarities...we must be related!

My McCasland ancestors came over at least before 1750. That's the first US birth I can find. Most of them eventually settled in Texas. There's a zillion of them there. My grandfather left Texas as a young man. His father told him if he left, don't ever bother coming back. And he didn't.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 6:50 PM Quote
maybe you guys are related to Gladly-the-cudly ?

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 7:21 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I was reading a (not very good) fictional story yesterday about a guy from Texas who inherited property in Scotland. The place was called McCasland Hall. McCasland is my maiden name. I was wondering, are there any McCaslands still in Scotland? If someone could leaf through a phone directory or something, I'd be much obliged. I've tried to find out through the internet before, but never found an answer.

Hi Turtleneck! When I saw Travis in Aberdeen earlier this year, Fran mentioned a website he went on to find out about his ancestors. It was Scotlandspeople.com or something like that. Give it a try and see how you get on.
:)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 7:42 PM Quote
Tracey982 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Hi Turtleneck! When I saw Travis in Aberdeen earlier this year, Fran mentioned a website he went on to find out about his ancestors. It was Scotlandspeople.com or something like that. Give it a try and see how you get on.

It is scotlandpeople.com. Looks like they send you back to other genealogy web sites, like ancestry.com and others like it. I looked on Yahoo UK to see if they had a "People Search" function like they do in the US, but they don't. I found a page that says the name originated in Ireland, then they went to Scotland, and then back to Ireland. When it gets to the end of the line, the Scottish/Irish thing gets confusing. I'm both, anyway. I just always thought, if/when I go to Scotland or Ireland, it would be cool to look up some rellies. Too bad I can't stay at "McCasland Hall" ha ha!

Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 8:04 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Tracey982 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

It is scotlandpeople.com. Looks like they send you back to other genealogy web sites, like ancestry.com and others like it. I looked on Yahoo UK to see if they had a "People Search" function like they do in the US, but they don't. I found a page that says the name originated in Ireland, then they went to Scotland, and then back to Ireland. When it gets to the end of the line, the Scottish/Irish thing gets confusing. I'm both, anyway. I just always thought, if/when I go to Scotland or Ireland, it would be cool to look up some rellies. Too bad I can't stay at "McCasland Hall" ha ha!

Was worth a try. I might try a few sites and look up my family history and ancestors. That would be a cool thing to do.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Tue 16 Oct, 2007 8:07 PM Quote
ask Gordon Brown to help ya

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 12:22 PM