Travis

FAO Wordsmiths
weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 1:00 AM Quote
A few years ago I did this with some friends and it was really fun. You know that silly tabloid Weekly World News? (I think they just stopped publishing it)

We were talking about how it's all completely made up so we decided to look at a copy at the store, pick a random headline, and write a story. That's what the "journalists" are doing anyway, right? I wrote an excellent story to go along with this headline: EXORCISTS BATTLE DEMON TOUPE

So I wanted to see if anyone who likes to write would like to play this game with me. Haven't picked a headline yet. We can all agree on one if you like or I can just grab one.

I hope some peeps are game!

Re: FAO Wordsmiths
DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 1:10 AM Quote
I'll play. As long as we make a rule that nobody can bust us on obscure grammar mistakes. ;)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 1:18 AM Quote
Do we all write this together, or separate articles based on the same headline?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 1:19 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Do we all write this together, or separate articles based on the same headline?

I was thinking same headline just to more see all the different directions we go but it could be different.

I won't bust you for obscure grammar mistakes.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 5:55 PM Quote
I'm in!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 14 Oct, 2007 9:26 PM Quote
That sounds like fun! I'll probably give it a try if I can be bothered :)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 15 Oct, 2007 2:16 AM Quote
OK, the current ones on the website aren't inspiring great humor in me but I searched and found some postings where people listed some of their favorite headlines from the past. I thought I would pick a few and you can pick one. Just post on this thread when you're ready. As long or as short as you like.

1) World's First Successful Human Head Transplant
2) Woman Swallows Toothpick, Gives Birth to Baby With Wooden Leg
3) Headless Man found in Topless Bar
4) Exorcists Battle Demon Toupe

I won't do #4 since I've already done it but I put it up because it still cracks me up.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 17 Oct, 2007 12:30 AM Quote

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 17 Oct, 2007 2:55 AM Quote
Good job Turtle! Very funny. I was hoping to bust something out tonight or tomorrow.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 18 Oct, 2007 5:07 AM Quote
OK I did this fast and furiously while watching TV. (felt bad that I hadn't played my own game) Spot the boardie names for extra points!

Woman Swallows Toothpick, Gives Birth to Baby With Wooden Leg

(Elsabs, MI) A local woman gave birth to a boy with an apparent wooden leg. The son, christened Peter RedBeard Krutwig, is otherwise healthy and has one flesh and bone leg.

The mother, twenty-nine-year-old Victoria Krutwig, had a normal pregnancy. This being her first pregnancy, she was unaware that a fetus’ kick should not leave visible circular bruises on her stomach.

“I thought he was a feisty baby,” says Krutwig, “ but it did seem odd that sometimes when his legs kicked my ribs there was a clunking noise that even my half deaf grandma could hear.”

Doctors theorize that a toothpick Krutwig accidentally swallowed following an overly enthusiastic tooth cleaning is the genesis of the first documented case of a baby wooden leg.

“I had some corn,” Krutwig says, “and I just couldn’t get this piece out of one of back teeth. You know how annoying that can be. Before I knew it, that thing went down as quick as a dog running from his own fart.”

This incident occurred around the eighth week when leg buds begin to sprout. Doctors believe the toothpick made its way through Krutwig’s digestive track and took a wrong turn into her uterus where it made a home on her unborn baby, somehow gaining nourishment and growing along with the baby. Krutwig believes the maple syrup she had every morning with her Leggo waffles “fed” the toothpick but doctors have dismissed this theory.

Krutwig religious beliefs prevented her from seeking prenatal care and thus the wooden leg was a labor room surprise.

“Captain Dakota says that the government uses all those tests to collect information for the Intranets,” Krutwig says.

The mother is just happy that he is healthy and believes he has a bright future in the singing telegram business.

“His cry sounds more like a ‘yarr’,” says Krutwig.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 18 Oct, 2007 2:41 PM Quote
Ha ha! I bet she's thankful it wasn't a breech birth!

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Thu 18 Oct, 2007 3:48 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
EXORCISTS BATTLE DEMON TOUPE

is it about Donald Trump ?

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Thu 18 Oct, 2007 3:57 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
OK I did this fast and furiously while watching TV. (felt bad that I hadn't played my own game) Spot the boardie names for extra points!

Woman Swallows Toothpick, Gives Birth to Baby With Wooden Leg

(Elsabs, MI) A local woman gave birth to a boy with an apparent wooden leg. The son, christened Peter RedBeard Krutwig, is otherwise healthy and has one flesh and bone leg.

The mother, twenty-nine-year-old Victoria Krutwig, had a normal pregnancy. This being her first pregnancy, she was unaware that a fetus’ kick should not leave visible circular bruises on her stomach.

“I thought he was a feisty baby,” says Krutwig, “ but it did seem odd that sometimes when his legs kicked my ribs there was a clunking noise that even my half deaf grandma could hear.”

Doctors theorize that a toothpick Krutwig accidentally swallowed following an overly enthusiastic tooth cleaning is the genesis of the first documented case of a baby wooden leg.

“I had some corn,” Krutwig says, “and I just couldn’t get this piece out of one of back teeth. You know how annoying that can be. Before I knew it, that thing went down as quick as a dog running from his own fart.”

This incident occurred around the eighth week when leg buds begin to sprout. Doctors believe the toothpick made its way through Krutwig’s digestive track and took a wrong turn into her uterus where it made a home on her unborn baby, somehow gaining nourishment and growing along with the baby. Krutwig believes the maple syrup she had every morning with her Leggo waffles “fed” the toothpick but doctors have dismissed this theory.

Krutwig religious beliefs prevented her from seeking prenatal care and thus the wooden leg was a labor room surprise.

“Captain Dakota says that the government uses all those tests to collect information for the Intranets,” Krutwig says.

The mother is just happy that he is healthy and believes he has a bright future in the singing telegram business.

“His cry sounds more like a ‘yarr’,” says Krutwig.

Nice one:)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 18 Oct, 2007 4:05 PM Quote
AbsolutPurple wrote:
weirdmominaustin wrote:
EXORCISTS BATTLE DEMON TOUPE

is it about Donald Trump ?

LOL. No. I have it on my computer at home so I'll post it later.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 19 Oct, 2007 1:06 AM Quote
This was great, Anne!! :) Very creative!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:01 AM