Travis

has "reality tv" gone too far?
monkey
monkey Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:20 PM Quote
A new Dutch TV show from Big Brother makers Endemol has sparked protests from political and health groups in the country.

The Big Donor Show will see a terminally ill woman select one of three patients to receive her kidneys, which activists say is distasteful.

But the makers of the programme and the show's broadcaster BNN say it will highlight the difficulty in the modern world of finding kidney donors.

The 37-year-old terminally ill woman has been identified only as Lisa and she will make her selection after talking to the three contestants with their family and friends.

Viewer interaction will be based on advice which can be sent by text message to the donor during the 80-minute show.

Alexander Pechtold from D-66, the Dutch social liberal party, said the problem of finding a kidney donor outweighed the issue of distaste.

He told the Today programme: 'For years and years we have had problems in the Netherlands with organ donations and especially kidney donations.

'You can have a discussion about if this is distasteful, but finally we have a public debate.'

BNN's founder, Bart de Graaff, died from kidney failure five years ago despite a number of transplants and the programme is seen as a tribute as an attempt to place the issue at the heart of public debate.

Re: has
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:25 PM Quote
This has to be a wind up!!!

If not, viewers of reality Tv I hope you are fucking proud of yourselves, You caused this !!!! It's fucking disgusting

Harmony1206
Harmony1206 Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:30 PM Quote
I read about it the other day and I find it to be disgusting. It's wrong, so very wrong!
Who was the bleedin' eejit who came up with this extremely stupid idea?!

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:35 PM Quote
As someone who only has one kidney which itself is dying on its arse. I have to say even i would be a little wary of gettting a kidney from someone dying of cancer.
The program itself is a disgrace.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:37 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
This has to be a wind up!!!

If not, viewers of reality Tv I hope you are fucking proud of yourselves, You caused this !!!! It's fucking disgusting

Nope it is not a wind up:(

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:39 PM Quote
I can't explain in words how appalled I was when I heard about it yesterday. I know that each contestant has a 33% chance of getting a new kidney, which is much more than other people needing a kidney. However, to put it on public display like that is just too much.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:40 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
As someone who only has one kidney which itself is dying on its arse. I have to say even i would be a little wary of gettting a kidney from someone dying of cancer.
The program itself is a disgrace.

ahhh so that's yer excuse for being a crabit git, only messin' mate sorry to hear that.

but I would imagine you might know something about this sorta stuff, I thought there would be comitees or boards or whatever who make these descisions based on all the factors involved (suitability, chances of sucess, etc.) everytime an organ is donated surely.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:41 PM Quote

If people are stupid enough to want to go on these programmes then TV Execs will keep on making 'em.

Edel
Edel Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:42 PM Quote
Hadnt heard about this but really sounds disgusting. So 'Lisa' gets to play God and how does it highlight the problem? Not like people can phone in and donate a kidney.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:42 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

If people are stupid enough to want to go on these programmes then TV Execs will keep on making 'em.

Only if the other fucking morons keep watching them.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:44 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:

I can safely say I'm not a 'fucking moron'.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:46 PM Quote
First of all: i do not agree with this programm airing.

But (yup here it goes) the part about donation being a massive problem is true. The part about BNN being a controversial broadcaster is true too. But it also came up with some very controversial, but integer/honest (strugling with the translation here) programms a.o about young people dying. I think because it is linked to Endemol (Big Brother producer) it gets a sleazy image at forehand. I am curious as too how this programm is made, who presents it etc. I hope that if it is broadcasted a lot of young people will realise how much the donorship is needed.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:46 PM Quote

ahhh so that's yer excuse for being a crabit git, only messin' mate sorry to hear that.

HAHA I was always a crabit git this has just made me worse. There is an unwritten rule in work that nobody talks to me until 10am for fear of being punched in the face LOL

For the most part its down to tissue type. If you are not the right tissue type for the donor organ then there is less chance of success than if you are.
Iam guessing those who are in the running to receive this organ have had this done.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:49 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:

HAHA I was always a crabit git this has just made me worse. There is an unwritten rule in work that nobody talks to me until 10am for fear of being punched in the face LOL

For the most part its down to tissue type. If you are not the right tissue type for the donor organ then there is less chance of success than if you are.
Iam guessing those who are in the running to receive this organ have had this done.

The dutch BNN website said they did.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:53 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:

I can safely say I'm not a 'fucking moron'.

OK maybe I was a bit strong but...

So it's ok just to watch and encourage said people to go on these programmes ??? This is symptomatic of what is wrong with the world these days, no one is willing to take resposobility for their actions, It's always someone else's fault.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:34 PM