Travis

what is sailing away about?
Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Sat 06 Oct, 2007 2:51 PM Quote
I like these lyrics

Re: what is sailing away about?
Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 06 Oct, 2007 3:12 PM Quote
Now theres a question! ... I have my own concoction going on in my head ,(picturing Fran like a hermit by the river) but i know its wrong haha..

How about ...Whether your laughing or whether your crying you gotta get away and so I'm going to always be by the river to do that and sometimes ...you just gotta be brave and just go! .....ding dng but when its out ya system you come home

what do yuo think? heehee

Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Sat 06 Oct, 2007 3:46 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Now theres a question! ... I have my own concoction going on in my head ,(picturing Fran like a hermit by the river) but i know its wrong haha..

How about ...Whether your laughing or whether your crying you gotta get away and so I'm going to always be by the river to do that and sometimes ...you just gotta be brave and just go! .....ding dng but when its out ya system you come home

what do yuo think? heehee

What do I think?
I don't know....
I don't know, as always I would like to know what he was thinking when he wrote the song

everyday_face
everyday_face Posted Sat 06 Oct, 2007 4:57 PM Quote
I seem to remember reading around the time of the album release, that it was written as a jokey ode to his dead golfish.

Unless Fran was just having a laugh at some journo's expense, then I think that's right!

Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Sat 06 Oct, 2007 5:27 PM Quote
everyday_face wrote:
it was written as a jokey ode to his dead golfish.

Unless Fran was just having a laugh at some journo's expense, then I think that's right!

a fish?

marcela_lm
marcela_lm Posted Sat 06 Oct, 2007 8:01 PM Quote
I think songs are open to personal interpretations, and we all connect them to our life experiences.

For me that song is an optimistic ode, when I'm feeling blue, I 'll just listen to that song and that grabbing the bull by its horns, and the whole river analogy, it just gives me hope.

And well when they played it live, I was holding my tears, it's one of my favorites songs....

the song that i dont get from this album is New Amsterdam, I mean sure he's talking about artists, getting together there, but i just dont get it

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 06 Oct, 2007 9:16 PM Quote
everyday_face wrote:
I seem to remember reading around the time of the album release, that it was written as a jokey ode to his dead golfish.

Hmmmm, I'm a bit sceptical of this, Fran does like teasing the press :)

For me, the song is about the simple things in life and about giving it a go and not getting bogged down in the complexities of life.

The lyrics are on travis.ography if you are wondering.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 07 Oct, 2007 3:05 AM Quote
Sometimes when I listen to it and I hear the chorus I think of this

To me it means that while other people are up and down, I'm (Fran) gonna stay in a peaceful place and not let all this outside crap get me down.

I like the "grab the bull by the horn's" part. I think lyrically it's a simple but powerful line. The next line features one of my favorite small musical moments on the album when Fran sings "...we can go home so" I really like the combo of his lower note on the word "so" with the sounds happening in the background.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 07 Oct, 2007 5:45 AM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
Sometimes when I listen to it and I hear the chorus I think of this

To me it means that while other people are up and down, I'm (Fran) gonna stay in a peaceful place and not let all this outside crap get me down.

I like the "grab the bull by the horn's" part. I think lyrically it's a simple but powerful line. The next line features one of my favorite small musical moments on the album when Fran sings "...we can go home so" I really like the combo of his lower note on the word "so" with the sounds happening in the background.

Oh my gosh! I LOVE the "Living in a van down by the river" skit from SNL! LOL. :D Classic.

"Sailing Away" is such a fun song! The words are great! They make me happy and give me hope when I'm having a crappy day. Not only that, but the music is just so interesting...very Beatle-ish...I love the guitars! And, Anne, when I've got Travis playing in my car I always make it a point to sing along to the "And when the story's told...we can go...HOME...SOOO.." :D I love it!!

Oh! And this isn't related to "Sailing Away," but does anyone else think Fran's "Oooo, Ahhhs" at the end of "Eyes Wide Open" sound like something John Lennon would do? (Another one of my favorite moments on the album).

anace
anace Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 1:44 AM Quote
I always thought it was a song for someone.. telling him/her to stop 'worrying' about things and whatever they can cause and just live

Optimistic all around..

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 11:41 AM Quote
marcela_lm wrote:

the song that i dont get from this album is New Amsterdam, I mean sure he's talking about artists, getting together there, but i just dont get it

This is my favorite/the best one of the album to me, it's about New York and connecting with famous people/artists who have lived there and left their soul perhaps in Central Park where Fran would meet them in an imaginary life. I've written on this few months ago but I'm not sure if it was on the new board...

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 3:00 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Oh my gosh! I LOVE the "Living in a van down by the river" skit from SNL! LOL. :D Classic.

"Sailing Away" is such a fun song! The words are great! They make me happy and give me hope when I'm having a crappy day. Not only that, but the music is just so interesting...very Beatle-ish...I love the guitars! And, Anne, when I've got Travis playing in my car I always make it a point to sing along to the "And when the story's told...we can go...HOME...SOOO.." :D I love it!!

Oh! And this isn't related to "Sailing Away," but does anyone else think Fran's "Oooo, Ahhhs" at the end of "Eyes Wide Open" sound like something John Lennon would do? (Another one of my favorite moments on the album).

Glad you like the SO part as well. I smile every time it gets to that part.

I enjoy the "ooh, uh, ahhs" at the end of Eyes Wide Open. When I saw them in the studio perform that song it made me giggle. It sounded great and it fits the song but I just suddenly had this thought of how weird it is to be sitting in a studio recording a silly noise.

Hadn't thought of John Lennon but I can see what you mean. I love in the Beatles song "Girl" when they sing "Ah...girl...Zsszzt" Sorry, no idea how to type the noise he makes butI love it. Says everything. To me he's saying she's yummy, maddening, and makes him go "DAMN" every time he sees her.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 4:09 PM Quote
I also meant to add that I misheard the lyrics a bit on this song a first. I thought Fran sang "taking a holiday from all the shopping." I looked it up pretty quick because I knew that certainly wasn't right!

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 6:08 PM Quote
Sailing Away always reminds me of the ending of the WDIAROM video where they're all sailing down the river in the floating room. I love that clip :)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 7:11 PM Quote
FranFlower wrote:
Sailing Away always reminds me of the ending of the WDIAROM video where they're all sailing down the river in the floating room. I love that clip :)

That is a nice moment. I absolutely love when Fran gives Dougie's tooshy a little pat. I am always grabbing my husband's butt so it cracks me up when I see other people doing it. I did it to my friend at church recently and one of the pastors saw. I didn't see, but apparently he just burst out laughing.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:47 AM