Travis

'thinspiration'
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 2:27 PM Quote
Disturbing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6935768.stm

Can someone run me through why people do this to themselves? Is it peer pressures and glamourisation of skinny models and celebs that are to blame, or something more?

Re: 'thinspiration'
Tracey982
Tracey982 Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 2:33 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Disturbing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6935768.stm

Can someone run me through why people do this to themselves? Is it peer pressures and glamourisation of skinny models and celebs that are to blame, or something more?

That is disturbing.
I admit in my teens, the was a period where I hardly ate or I made myself sick, and few years back I tried dietry pills and what a waste of time and money that was. I don't know why I did it. I've never been happy with my figure.
I kinda looked up to my sister who was slimmer than me. Back then, I didn't really pay attention to skinny models or celebs. I don't think it was that much of an issue then, so I can't really blame that.
Nowadays this kind of thing is so in your face and these poor people put themselves through that because they think it's the norm. It's sickening.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 2:47 PM Quote
I bought "diet pills" a few years ago because i couldn't be bothered to go on a diet and wanted to loose 6 pounds.
Not really understanding what the pills were made of, i got really nervous and ending up not eating a single one and losing the extra weight in a week.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 3:30 PM Quote
Can I point out that not every thin female is anorexic. Some of us are unlucky enough to have 'thin' genes and believe me, it's not fun.

[One pet peeve of mine is people who assume all thin females must spend their time counting calories - well, it simply ain't true]

Cheers.

feri
feri Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 4:40 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
Can I point out that not every thin female is anorexic. Some of us are unlucky enough to have 'thin' genes and believe me, it's not fun.

[One pet peeve of mine is people who assume all thin females must spend their time counting calories - well, it simply ain't true]

Cheers.

You know, you're kind of right. The girls from the link tho look too thin, but I know what you mean cuz in the past people have said I look 'too thin' and 'unhealthy' or assumed I'm not eating or something! I hate this double standard. If you make fun of someone who is overweight you are considered shallow, but if you make fun of or criticize someone who is too skinny, it's okay?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 4:44 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

I have a very very thin friend and she has had to deal with being accused of having an eating disorder her whole life. I've known her since I was 14 (so 17 years now) and I can attest that she does NOT have an eating disorder!! People can be as judgmental as if she was morbidly obese. She struggles to put on weight because she has some blood pressure issues and her doctor says it'll help if she gains weight but even a few pounds takes a lot of effort for her.

THAT being said, I think an eating disorder is a multi-headed beast. Yes, the media plays a role but it's easy to put the blame just on them. I believe that most of the time the person is genetically disposed to it and then certain factors in their life can trigger it. People with this problem have a distorted view of themselves. Even when they're skin and bones they see a fat person when they look in the mirror. It's so sad. I've never struggled with it but I've had friends who have and it's really hard to watch. Thankfully they've recovered but not everyone does.

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 4:45 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:

Cheers.

I know what you mean - people always suspect i have some sort of "secret" (read : throw up after my meals) because i eat tons and am thin.
Leave me alone ! My dad is skinny, my grand-mother was too etc !

lulu07
lulu07 Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 4:54 PM Quote
Yeah it's awful and has to be inspired by those idiot celebs, facebook and myspace shouldn't allow those groups.

The latest is ''manarexcia'' in my magazine

Sunny
Sunny Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 7:21 PM Quote
feri wrote:
Sunny wrote:

Cheers.

You know, you're kind of right. The girls from the link tho look too thin, but I know what you mean cuz in the past people have said I look 'too thin' and 'unhealthy' or assumed I'm not eating or something! I hate this double standard. If you make fun of someone who is overweight you are considered shallow, but if you make fun of or criticize someone who is too skinny, it's okay?

What's really annoying me here in the UK right now is the talk of not making clothes in small sizes. So what the hell am I, and all the other thin people, supposed to wear?!
Ridiculous.

feri
feri Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 7:58 PM Quote
Sunny wrote:
feri wrote:
Sunny wrote:

Cheers.

What's really annoying me here in the UK right now is the talk of not making clothes in small sizes. So what the hell am I, and all the other thin people, supposed to wear?!
Ridiculous.

What? They're talking about this?! That's so stupid. It's not even always about being skinny, but some people have a small upper body and they need extra small shirts!

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 8:03 PM Quote
is an american size 4 thin ?

lulu07
lulu07 Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 8:05 PM Quote
Asda don't do teen clothes any more, they do tiny adult clothes which doesn't help

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 8:06 PM Quote
lulu07 wrote:
Asda don't do teen clothes any more, they do tiny adult clothes which doesn't help

maybe it's what they call "petite" in the States.
never understood the concept anyway !

lulu07
lulu07 Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 8:11 PM Quote
It's like size 4 stuff

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 8:17 PM Quote
lulu07 wrote:
It's like size 4 stuff

US size 4 isn't the same as UK size 4

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:13 AM