Travis

Most Recent Word you found you were using Incorrectly
Beatle Babe
Beatle Babe Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:30 PM Quote

Re: Most Recent Word you found you were using Incorrectly
DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:31 PM Quote
Whats the most recent word or expression you have found you have been spelling, pronouncing, or using incorrectly?

For example only a year or so ago I realised that Aubergine had an 'r' in it, because I had only ever heard English people say it, and had never had to use it in a sentence or in writing in my life...

I have other examples of expressions that I was maybe using wrong but can't think of them right now - maybe someone will remind me.

Oh, also when I was a toddler I would say 'news' instead of 'used' as in "I news to go to the big park with my gran"

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:35 PM Quote
Oh the intelligence ;)

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:42 PM Quote
good, where do i start,

the most common ones are
their - there
affect - effect

more to come

feri
feri Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:43 PM Quote
how come I can never see your posts (to beatle babe)=/

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:44 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
good, where do i start,

their - there

more to come

according to my Pet Peeves post, i officially hate you! haha

just kiddin.. ;)

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:45 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
kim2007w wrote:
good, where do i start,

their - there

more to come

just kiddin.. ;)

not read it, what am i missing?

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 10:50 PM Quote
creme - cream
die - dye
great - grate

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 11:03 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
paul_c wrote:
kim2007w wrote:
good, where do i start,

their - there

more to come

just kiddin.. ;)

not read it, what am i missing?

Oh nothing.. just that it annoys me when people misuse They're/There/Their

So watch yourself! :P haha, kiddin

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 6:49 AM Quote

I use loads of words incorrectly, but then I'm a twisted fucker who does it on purpose, I'm fed up with people telling me what is and isn't correct, I'd enough of that shite in school.

I also tend to find that people who correct me are pedantic, petty, condesending, patronizing arseholes. Who are so wrapped up in their own little world that they have forgotten that life is for living, to them I say, Go get Pished/Stoned/Shagged, which ever one they are obviously in dire need of.

However there is a time and a place for most things, I actually work for a huge legal firm so my grammar in work has to be pretty spot on.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 8:24 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Oh the intelligence ;)

I don't think you'd much recognise intelligence if it sat on you, held you down for two hours and explained who it was repeatedly and had you take an exam on that one sentence it was repeating

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 8:46 AM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
paul_c wrote:
Oh the intelligence ;)

I don't think you'd much recognise intelligence if it sat on you, held you down for two hours and explained who it was repeatedly and had you take an exam on that one sentence it was repeating

Ooooh boardie fight!

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 8:57 AM Quote
la femme qui wrote:
DavesUrMan wrote:
paul_c wrote:
Oh the intelligence ;)

Ooooh boardie fight!

Hey there - haven't seen you in a while! Mind you I haven't been on much myself lately - the posts are too retarded to even bother trying to have a half decent conversation with someone thats not a) about what people have been upto b) what their fave post is or c) how great travis is

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 11:17 AM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
Hey there - haven't seen you in a while! Mind you I haven't been on much myself lately - the posts are too retarded to even bother trying to have a half decent conversation with someone thats not a) about what people have been upto b) what their fave post is or c) how great travis is

Oooh subtle! I'm always here but I rarely post mostly because I'm an uninteresting bore who's got nothing interesting to say!

Hmm do proper nouns count? I've just discovered that I've been pronouncing Yeltsin as Yelstin! That's the most embarrassing one, I've got lots more... like all these years I'd been pronouncing the word 'shone' as 'shown', and not 'Sean'. Call me pedantic, but one thing that really ticks me off is the word 'anyways'. Adverbs can't be pluralised, is that so hard to understand?

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 08 Aug, 2007 11:41 AM Quote
la femme qui wrote:

Oooh subtle! I'm always here but I rarely post mostly because I'm an uninteresting bore who's got nothing interesting to say!

Hmm do proper nouns count? I've just discovered that I've been pronouncing Yeltsin as Yelstin! That's the most embarrassing one, I've got lots more... like all these years I'd been pronouncing the word 'shone' as 'shown', and not 'Sean'. Call me pedantic, but one thing that really ticks me off is the word 'anyways'. Adverbs can't be pluralised, is that so hard to understand?

I see...I remember one time I was so embarassed, I was about 6 or 7, and had been given cheek from a teacher, who somehow thought I was a 'stupid bully' because I told someone to 'Leave me alone', so I lectured her on how I was a studious, well mannered and 'dilignent' pupil and always have been (even at that age!) and she says "David, I'm sorry, I think you mean dilligent" not my most shining time...

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:41 AM