Travis

A Thought
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:31 PM Quote
It seems the world is lamenting the death of the CD and becoming excessively excited about the download (which is the same but cheaper to produce, so is, I suppose, something record companies like!) However, I ordered an album from Amazon 10 days ago and still nothing. I now wish I'd downloaded it for the same price. The sheer hypocrisy of it annoys me!
However, Amazon at least did dispatch it 6 days ago - but how bad a delivery service can Parcelnet (who have been, for no logical reason, chosen to deliver it) be?

Re: A Thought
deepi
deepi Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:34 PM Quote
you've just reminded me i ordered some albums from hmv last week and i still ain't got them, and i agree i think its the delivery thats slow

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:35 PM Quote
Well then just go to the shops and buy the CDs and you'll have them right away! It's more of an experience anyway

deepi
deepi Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:37 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Well then just go to the shops and buy the CDs and you'll have them right away! It's more of an experience anyway

i usually do go down to the store but i was being particulary lazy that day and decided to order it from the comfort of me own home, regretting it now though

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:37 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Parcelnet (who have been, for no logical reason, chosen to deliver it) be?

Amazon would have awarded the contract for the delivery of items in your part of the world to them after Parcelnet tendering to provide that service, which is quite logical.

It happens all the time.

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:38 PM Quote
also nothing better than having a copy in your hands, when TBWNN came out, i was at the store at 9 in the morning, waiting to get my copy, can't beat it

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:41 PM Quote
Never had a problem with Amazon - HMV are a different story, however - but I guess it depends on the overall reliability of the courier service.
I notice the Our Price (?) store has disappeared in Falmouth, where's your nearest record store?
I like the second-hand place as you head towards the Maritime Museum, although they have weird opening times.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:48 PM Quote
I don't really go to Falmouth much, there's an HMV in Truro which I use mostly, especially now Fopp's closed. That's 30 miles away. Also I don't think I would have got it for £5.99 there!
I did go to a shop to buy TBWNN, I agree about the experience and buy most of my albums from shops.

Sunny
Sunny Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:51 PM Quote
I don't really go to Falmouth much, there's an HMV in Truro which I use mostly, especially now Fopp's closed. That's 30 miles away. Also I don't think I would have got it for £5.99 there!
I did go to a shop to buy TBWNN, I agree about the experience and buy most of my albums from shops.

I like buying albums from shops too. I think I've only ever downloaded two things in my life. Buying a product in a shop feels better value for money than 'buying' it via the computer.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:51 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

Amazon would have awarded the contract for the delivery of items in your part of the world to them after Parcelnet tendering to provide that service, which is quite logical.

It happens all the time.

Logical, true, but still not very efficient. It's a shame they didn't use Royal Mail. Probably too expensive.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:54 PM Quote
Esteban wrote:

It happens all the time.

Logical, true, but still not very efficient. It's a shame they didn't use Royal Mail. Probably too expensive.

Yep, they probably strike less too.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 06 Aug, 2007 8:57 PM Quote
Lol, another good point! Still can't see how it would have arrived slower though!
PS. Thanks for rationalising my argument, it's very easy to get disproportionately frustated.

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 9:01 AM Quote
Fuck downloading. I just bought a copy of Cast "Mother Nature Calls" off Amazons new & used service. Still in 'Very Good' condition, and it cost me the princely sum of 5p (plus £1 for the p&p). I'll have that! All because I wanted to hear "Guiding Star" again.

Think I'll be buying up every mid 90's album under the sun for those sort of prices.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 12:23 PM Quote
I hate buying online.

There is nothing better than browsing and touching the cds in the record shop. And ripping open the cellophane on the journey home. It's special!

However, the David Ford album is only available to order. So I've finally gone and done so via Amazon.

It's going to take 14 days, and I'll be away when it arrives. All in all, not happy about this. Why can't HMV stock it?

(no need to answer with a literal explanation, I'm just having a mini rant)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 07 Aug, 2007 12:34 PM Quote
I'm old school , I'm still playing vinyl, when I can . it is a pleasure to cruise through the racks in a record store

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:09 PM