http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/01/bridge.collapse.ap/index.html

Re: Breaking News: Bridge Collapse in MN, USA
ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 1:48 AM Quote
wow... that's really frightening. i hope there weren't any casualties

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 1:52 AM Quote
the bridge is right near the University of MN campus and connects St. Paul and Minneapolis. It just started raining too which doesn't help rescue efforts.

PictureInWhite
PictureInWhite Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 2:12 AM Quote
There are 3 confirmed dead as of right now, but police are saying 7.

I am absolutely horrified. The fact that we were just there last week is haunting. I was also in Piccadilly Circus one week before the attempted car bombings there. My heart is absolutely broken for these people. I pray that it looks worse than it actually is.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 2:16 AM Quote
man, i'm glad you took the other route home too! how close is it to Duncan & Cathy's? I thought I saw their condo bldg on tv, but wasn't sure if it was it...

minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 2:20 AM Quote
C&D's condo is right across from it (it's probably the building you saw). we've gotten several calls from family to check up on us...we were lucky to take the inside route. tomorrow's commute will be horrible. i knew i should have brought home my laptop.

loria
loria Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 2:31 AM Quote
i have a lot of friends in minneapolis/st.paul and so far i've heard from all but one, and she doesn't drive so hopefully she's home safe...

... still this is very frightening, especially since there was just construction on it from what i understand. i really hope and pray for all the people involved.

roogba
roogba Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 2:51 AM Quote
i was on that bridge a few days ago. this is really awful.

NewBaby
NewBaby Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 3:03 AM Quote
this is like one of your worst thoughts come true, you know? I mean, who hasn't feared this on some level when you're about to go over a bridge? minnesotamary, I am glad you are safe.
could you image driving on the neighboring bridge and looking over at a collapsed one! nightmare...I really hope the casualties are low....

wends
wends Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 3:11 AM Quote
Absolutely surreal to watch on TV, isn't it? I drive over that bridge so many times...and to think that something like that could happen on 35W is just devastating. I'm sure the fatality count will rise before tomorrow morning.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 3:27 AM Quote
Oh my God, that's horrible. Those poor people. I'm glad you are safe. Could you imagine?

I wonder what caused this. You'd think that they would monitor the bridge more closely, especially if it was under construction, which could definitely cause extra stress to the structure. How awful.

nats
nats Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 3:45 AM Quote
glad you are ok. Ive watched it on the tv... horrible!

ParkAvePirate
ParkAvePirate Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 3:46 AM Quote
I was just at the Twins baseball game (about a mile from the bridge) and we didn't even know this had happened until I got frantic text messages. The scenes taken from the collapse are astounding.

J

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 3:50 AM Quote
ParkAvePirate wrote:
I was just at the Twins baseball game (about a mile from the bridge) and we didn't even know this had happened until I got frantic text messages. The scenes taken from the collapse are astounding.

J

Glad you're safe.

ParkAvePirate
ParkAvePirate Posted Thu 02 Aug, 2007 3:54 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Glad you're safe.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:06 PM