Travis

New Order Shilling for AT&T
harry potter
harry potter Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 5:15 PM Quote
jones told me the other day that New Order's classic track "Age of Consent" is now being used as part of a new US television commerical campaign for AT&T Wireless.

first Oasis, now New Order. it's so frickin' depressing. where's the idealism, am i being naive - probably.

Question - if you had a hit song(s) and some megacorp wanted the rights and threw a shiteload of dosh at you, would you accept?

i wouldn't, music is too important for stuff like money. artistic integrity is not for sale.

New Order Fans React

haz
xxx

Re: New Order Shilling for AT&T
goosey_84
goosey_84 Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 5:47 PM Quote
what?! i love age of consent...blast that AT&T...

feri
feri Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 5:50 PM Quote
It bugs me a bit, but at least the song isn't changed or altered. Look at Rihanna and her producers taking or should I say 'sampling' Blue Monday by New Order and totally changing it around to make a hit song and some cash. That bugs me even more, cuz the original song is ruined with this.

feri
feri Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 5:50 PM Quote
some sampling turns out good..I mean look at daft punk, they have some good songs or even Eric Prydz

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 5:54 PM Quote
I'm mixed. Ideally I believe artistic integrity shouldn't be for sale. But at the same time, if being a musician is your job, how you make a living, then it's hard to say what I would do.

If I had a song that a corp wanted to use and let's say we hadn't had any hits, were really living gig-to-gig, I would most likely take the money and run. Heck, I might sell my whole catalog of songs. But if we had some success and I could make my living off of album and ticket sales, I would probably say no or only say yes to something I felt was good (e.g., a charity ad)

Music is a tough biz to make a decent living on. Perhaps the New Order folks are dealing with some hefty college bills for their kids? Who knows...

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 6:21 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
I'm mixed. Ideally I believe artistic integrity shouldn't be for sale. But at the same time, if being a musician is your job, how you make a living, then it's hard to say what I would do.

If I had a song that a corp wanted to use and let's say we hadn't had any hits, were really living gig-to-gig, I would most likely take the money and run. Heck, I might sell my whole catalog of songs. But if we had some success and I could make my living off of album and ticket sales, I would probably say no or only say yes to something I felt was good (e.g., a charity ad)

Music is a tough biz to make a decent living on. Perhaps the New Order folks are dealing with some hefty college bills for their kids? Who knows...

agreed , sure helped the Shins

bridget jones
bridget jones Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 7:57 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:
Question - if you had a hit song(s) and some megacorp wanted the rights and threw a shiteload of dosh at you, would you accept?

i wouldn't, music is too important for stuff like money. artistic integrity is not for sale.

Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure the words coming out of your mouth would be "Where do I sign?"

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:01 PM Quote
bridget jones wrote:
harry potter wrote:

Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure the words coming out of your mouth would be "Where do I sign?"

I think you have a point, I recently heard someone say acting pays the bills, adverts buy the luxuries!!. How do you argue with that.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:04 PM Quote
bridget jones wrote:
harry potter wrote:

:-0

:I

:/

bridget jones
bridget jones Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:06 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
harry potter wrote:

I think you have a point, I recently heard someone say acting pays the bills, adverts buy the luxuries!!. How do you argue with that.

Well, if you're a successful enough actor to be paid for advertisements, my guess is that the acting also pays for the luxuries!!!! The adverts probably pay for more luxuries.

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:09 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:
jones told me the other day that New Order's classic track "Age of Consent" is now being used as part of a new US television commerical campaign for AT&T Wireless.

first Oasis, now New Order. it's so frickin' depressing. where's the idealism, am i being naive - probably.

New Order Fans React

haz
xxx

AYE RIGHT!!!!!!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:09 PM Quote
bridget jones wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
bridget jones wrote:
harry potter wrote:

Well, if you're a successful enough actor to be paid for advertisements, my guess is that the acting also pays for the luxuries!!!! The adverts probably pay for more luxuries.

Haha Yeah, but you get my point :P

Btw. I'm not saying I agree with it... but that seems to be the way it is these days... :(

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:09 PM Quote
feri wrote:
It bugs me a bit, but at least the song isn't changed or altered. Look at Rihanna and her producers taking or should I say 'sampling' Blue Monday by New Order and totally changing it around to make a hit song and some cash. That bugs me even more, cuz the original song is ruined with this.

Well she is the queen of bad sampling (or her producers). She messed up: Tainted love by Soft Cell aswell!!
Shame on her/ them!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:10 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
feri wrote:

Well she is the queen of bad sampling (or her producers). She messed up: Tainted love by Soft Cell aswell!!
Shame on her/ them!

But Tainted Love was sh!te to start with, hehe :P

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 10 Jul, 2007 8:13 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
feri wrote:

Shame on her/ them!

But Tainted Love was sh!te to start with, hehe :P

oooow! That hurts! I love that song:)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:51 PM