Travis

Stereotypes
harry potter
harry potter Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 3:43 PM Quote
Stereotypes - a simplified and standardized conception or image invested with special meaning and held in common by members of a group

do you agree that as humans we can't help but put people into specific boxes based on limited knowledge about their race or culture? are we all guilty of stereotyping?

i know i get upset when the Irish are seen as nothing but a bunch of whiskey swillers (especially in the US), but by the same token i sometimes find myself putting people from other cultures in boxes too - is that normal,hypocritical or just plain ignorance?

haz
xxx

Re: Stereotypes
Joe
Joe Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 3:48 PM Quote
It's perfectly normal. I for one love stereotypes. The way I see it:
-Obviously, imiting oneself to stereotypes is dangerous
-Some people will be completely different
-Most people will, not on the surface, but underneath, comply with their stereotype

I've studied this with French people for 15 years, and it's so true.

Of course, racism is also natural, as it is an automatic reaction tohelp cope with the unknown. However, it is a reaction that we must all fight against.

Don't you agree you bog-trotting whiskey drinking ungrateful bastard?

harry potter
harry potter Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 3:50 PM Quote
LoL. that made me laugh. <-- well on second thoughts the latest comments from our man Joe here leads me to believe he's not trying to be funny, just hurtful/spiteful. there's that kind of vibe here today innit. *THAT WAS AN EDIT**
good points well made all the same. the fear of the unknown is definitely a BIG factor when it comes to prejudging people and their actions, the trick is being able to get beyond the stereotypical view of any given situation and try to see specific situations from a more, i dunno, "humanist" perspective?

that's well easier said than done though, especially for me and i hate that about myself sometimes :/

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 3:51 PM Quote
I think we all are guilty of it to a degree...I can totally understand how some of the stereotypes come about...

Well, maybe we ALL aren't, but lots of us are...I know I am...even with my own culture. I think that some of it is normal, but then you also get the ignorant jerks, who are just plain insulting--where they don't see exceptions.

Harmony1206
Harmony1206 Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 3:55 PM Quote
I think everyone stereotype other ppl. The ones I can think of right now are the Finnish ppl always walk around with knives and Swedish girls are blonde and stupid.

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 3:57 PM Quote
French are artistic, romantic (=sentimental), arrogant, cowards, baguette eaters (it's actually true that, when they arrive in a new town, one of the first subjects is the price of a baguette), back-stabbers.

isma
isma Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 3:58 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
French are artistic, romantic (=sentimental), arrogant, cowards, baguette eaters (it's actually true that, when they arrive in a new town, one of the first subjects is the price of a baguette), back-stabbers.

What's your problem with the french ?

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 4:00 PM Quote
Whether we want to admit it or not, Scottish people do tend to have a pretty rotten temper and act a bit anti-socially in terms of speaking to/meeting new people... (to an extent)

But I detest that steretype that we are mean people (with money) - everyone I know and the impression I've gotten from outsiders is that they latch onto that one, come here and expect it to be true, and are overwhelmed with our hospitality :D

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 4:01 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
But I detest that steretype that we are mean people (with money)

Thinking of the former Chancellor there?

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 4:02 PM Quote
isma wrote:
Joe wrote:

To quote Lisa Simpson: "I don't know...you?"

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 4:02 PM Quote
Joe wrote:

Thinking of the former Chancellor there?

;)

isma
isma Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 4:07 PM Quote
Joe wrote:
isma wrote:
Joe wrote:

That's impressive . You're so arrogant
Toujours en train te la ramener

harry potter
harry potter Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 4:08 PM Quote
isma wrote:
Joe wrote:
isma wrote:
Joe wrote:

That's impressive . You're so arrogant
Toujours en train te la ramener

i think he's trying to be funny but i agree the English are such bastards aren't they ;-)

harry potter
harry potter Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 4:10 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
I think we all are guilty of it to a degree...I can totally understand how some of the stereotypes come about...

Well, maybe we ALL aren't, but lots of us are...I know I am...even with my own culture. I think that some of it is normal, but then you also get the ignorant jerks, who are just plain insulting--where they don't see exceptions.

well said that woman.
yeah i'm guilty of maligning my own country of origin too, especially my hometown :/ i'm a self-hating Paddy what can i say.

Joe
Joe Posted Wed 27 Jun, 2007 4:14 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:
SamuraiSandy wrote:

I know I am...even with my own culture. .

well said that woman.
yeah i'm guilty of maligning my own country of origin too

Funny, I've never had that problem.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:31 AM