Travis

"Going Dutch"
haz
haz Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:11 PM Quote

do dutch people know of this expression. it means that two people going on a date pay their own way. do dutch folk find this term offensive at all?

Re:
Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:15 PM Quote
haz wrote:

do dutch people know of this expression. it means that two people going on a date pay their own way. do dutch folk find this term offensive at all?

Yeah i knew it. In Dutch we use the expression: "sam sam".
It is (to me) not offensive at all. I guess it finds its origine in the fact that we are "sitting on our money".

Which is right, but i'm the one breaking that rule i'm afraid;) Money should role.

Re: Re:
haz
haz Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:20 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

It is (to me) not offensive at all. I guess it finds its origine in the fact that we are "sitting on our money".

Which is right, but i'm the one breaking that rule i'm afraid;) Money should role.

that's interesting "sitting on our money" - neat, thanks for the education.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:22 PM Quote
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

Is it the same as "double dutch"? i was wondering.....

haz
haz Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:25 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

"double dutch" is usually a term that's used when someone is saying something to you that you cannot understand, you'd say to them "hey, slow down what you're saying sounds like double dutch to me".

"double dutch" is also the name given to a skipping rope routine made famous during the 1980s in NYC whereby kids in the inner city would have contests skipping 2 ropes while clapping hands and singing rhymes.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:28 PM Quote
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

"double dutch" is usually a term that's used when someone is saying something to you that you cannot understand, you'd say to them "hey, slow down what you're saying sounds like double dutch to me".

"double dutch" is also the name given to a skipping rope routine made famous during the 1980s in NYC whereby kids in the inner city would have contests skipping 2 ropes while clapping hands and singing rhymes.

The skipping rope thing i knew. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
So why aren't you out roaming the streets (and bars)?

haz
haz Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:34 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

no worries, sorry for bending your ear about the skipping rope thingy.

i'm waiting for the boss (i.e. jonesy) to get the finger out so we can go and attack a few bottles of vino and some eyetalian nosh.

Re:
kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:38 PM Quote
haz - harry potter, have i missed something

Re:
haz
haz Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:40 PM Quote

haz is harry potter's nickname.
keep up geesh.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:41 PM Quote
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

i'm waiting for the boss (i.e. jonesy) to get the finger out so we can go and attack a few bottles of vino and some eyetalian nosh.

Indeed no worries, i enjoy learning new things (most of the time). A bottle of vinos sounds good and italian food even better. Forgot about the different time zones (it's 22.35 hr. here) Have any good plans for this weekend?

haz
haz Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:45 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

Indeed no worries, i enjoy learning new things (most of the time). A bottle of vinos sounds good and italian food even better. Forgot about the different time zones (it's 22.35 hr. here) Have any good plans for this weekend?

should be a quiet weekend for us, do some stuff around the house, plant some...erm...plants and the like. we're thinking about being CRAZY and going to see a movie this Sunday afternoon, on the wild side us two i tell thee. hope you have a lot of fun things planned for yourself.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:50 PM Quote
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

should be a quiet weekend for us, do some stuff around the house, plant some...erm...plants and the like. we're thinking about being CRAZY and going to see a movie this Sunday afternoon, on the wild side us two i tell thee. hope you have a lot of fun things planned for yourself.

It's a incredibly busy weekend. Saterday a neighbourhood BBQ (the forcast says rain, hail, storm and thunder), so that should be fun. In the evening we have a great party with a good band. sunday two birthdays. By the time it is sunday evening i am longing for a quiet weeks work:)

haz
haz Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:55 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

It's a incredibly busy weekend. Saterday a neighbourhood BBQ (the forcast says rain, hail, storm and thunder), so that should be fun. In the evening we have a great party with a good band. sunday two birthdays. By the time it is sunday evening i am longing for a quiet weeks work:)

a neighbourhood barbie sounds like a LOT of fun, good for you. i wish we had something communal like that in my neck of the woods but suburban america likes to keep to itself. i'm sure even if the weather doesn't behave that you'll have a lot of fun with your mates, that's what makes a party i think not the weather, the company.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Fri 22 Jun, 2007 9:59 PM Quote
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:
Sanne (nl) wrote:
haz wrote:

a neighbourhood barbie sounds like a LOT of fun, good for you. i wish we had something communal like that in my neck of the woods but suburban america likes to keep to itself. i'm sure even if the weather doesn't behave that you'll have a lot of fun with your mates, that's what makes a party i think not the weather, the company.

And right you are! I think it'll be great. we had loads of fun planning it already. A shame not much of that happening at your end of the woods/ hood:) It wasn't like that in our old neighbourhood, but this is a great change.
Well i am off for my beautysleep now! Take care!!!

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 10:35 PM