Travis

My first trip to IKEA
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 4:42 PM Quote
So, I finally broke down and went to IKEA this morning. Violet came with me, she's fun girl.

It was a bit overwhelming at first. The greeter seemed to usher us towards the escalator so Violet ran and hopped on and we were on our way. Everyone there was way cooler than I am and they all seemed to have rectangular European glasses and scarves tied in fancy fashionable ways and I was starting to think that maybe I wasn't hip enough to be there. I'm still not sure.

The showrooms were fun. I love the kitchen drawers that are impossible to slam. Fabulous invention.

Found the tall bookcase I want for the girls' room, but decided the box was too heavy for me to manage on my own, so I'll have to go back again with someone stronger than Violet.

It smelled good. It was well organized. I wish I had more than an hour to spend. I also think I need an experienced IKEA shopper to show me the ropes.

On the way home Violet said, "Are we going the right way?" and I assured her we were. Of course, she was right, we had missed our exit. Next time she can drive.

Re: My first trip to IKEA
AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:04 PM Quote
mazal tov

mili
mili Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:07 PM Quote
We have several pieces of furniture from IKEA, as well as the kitchen cupboards (with normal banging drawers). Don't expect things to last forever and brace yourself for the "simple" task of building the stuff. There's always something slightly wrong, a screw missing or one too many of them to confuse you. I really hate our kitchen bin trolly construction, it always goes off its rails. It works in theory, but in practice it's not that brilliant, sort of sums up a lot of the stuff.

I have some nice small IKEA wooden desktop drawers, made in Poland, they've been good and useful.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:21 PM Quote
I have learned something since I got married. Somewhere along the line, I had the crazy notion of saving my money and buying quality furniture that will last a lifetime. I did that. I bought expensive, quality furniture.

And 15 years later I am so sick of it I could scream!

So, I'm not considering furniture an investment anymore. I think I'll be better off buying mid-grade stuff and na-na, hey hey, kiss it goodbye in a few years. And I'm pretty good at building shelves. I've done it before with Sauder stuff.

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:23 PM Quote
Glad you finally did it!!

But, Kayte, "rectangular European glasses"?? ;D

I looove going to IKEA. Sigh. Sadly, over here, they've changed their style somehow, I don't know what exactly happened, but I don't like the "new" IKEA furniture. I still love their colourful boxes and organising-stuff.

Is IKEA exactly the same (style-and-stuff-wise) in every country, btw?

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:27 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Everyone there was way cooler than I am and they all seemed to have rectangular European glasses and scarves tied in fancy fashionable ways and I was starting to think that maybe I wasn't hip enough to be there. I'm still not sure.

LOL, I'm pretty sure you are the only person in the whole wide world who thinks you need to be hip to go to an IKEA store.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:31 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
Everyone there was way cooler than I am and they all seemed to have rectangular European glasses and scarves tied in fancy fashionable ways and I was starting to think that maybe I wasn't hip enough to be there. I'm still not sure.

LOL, I'm pretty sure you are the only person in the whole wide world who thinks you need to be hip to go to an IKEA store.

Well, it's not quite Wal-Mart. It's just very different from American stuff. And it's a very different type of shopping experience. Maybe the way it's presented makes it seem swankier than what it really is.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:34 PM Quote
did you eat there? its the best part!

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:40 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
did you eat there? its the best part!

true. 100% true.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:40 PM Quote
lilly wrote:

Yes!

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:43 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
lilly wrote:

Yes!

Gucci like ?

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:44 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
lilly wrote:

Yes!

are they a European thing? really? hmmm... maybe you're right, everyone's wearing rectangular (colourful) glasses here (except me, wrong face-shape or sth, they look stupid on me)...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 05 Nov, 2009 5:47 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
lilly wrote:

Yes!

Gucci like ?

Kinda like Hanne's.

ricv64