Travis

Travis number 1's
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 29 Sep, 2009 9:51 PM Quote
And there was me thinking Travis didn't have any number 1 singles.

Was reading the Re-Offender page on wikipedia and was interested to learn the song peaked at number one in the Argentinean singles chart. Made me think, have Travis had any other number 1's in other countries, and if so how many? Anyone want to do the research? ;)

Re: Travis number 1's
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:19 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

Was reading the Re-Offender page on wikipedia and was interested to learn the song peaked at number one in the Argentinean singles chart. Made me think, have Travis had any other number 1's in other countries, and if so how many? Anyone want to do the research? ;)

Really?!?!
Re-Offender was played a lot here, but enough to make it to number 1?? Didn't have a clue. I've been trying to find more info about it, but the site of the organization in charge of this doesn't have statistics or charts previous 2008. Shame!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:39 PM Quote
Anyone want to do the research? ;)

and I thoght I was lazy!:)

you have until 6pm tomorrow !

SamHolden
SamHolden Posted Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:53 PM Quote
Closer reached number 2 in Israel I think.

but not sure of any more number 1s.

Mmusse
Mmusse Posted Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:14 PM Quote
I did some research in the Danish chart archives ( http://www.hitlisterne.dk/ ).

12 Memories peaked at no 8 on the Danish album top 40 (week 43-2003).

The Invisible Band peaked at no 5 on the Danish album top 40 (week 25-2001). Edit: Additional info - TIB stayed on the album chart for 25 weeks and after 20 weeks it had sold more than 15,000 copies. Some would say not much but I guess for a small country like Denmark it's not bad :P

I can't seem to find any Travis singles on any of the Danish lists (single and airplay) even though I'm sure they played Re-offender, Sing, and Side a lot in the radio when they came out.

Unfortunately, they don't keep any records of sales further back than to 2001. So I don't know if WDIAROM entered the single top 20.

But as you can see, there weren't any number ones in Denmark I'm sad to say :(

leticia
leticia Posted Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:22 PM Quote

I didn't know this either!! Cool...

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Wed 30 Sep, 2009 2:41 PM Quote

I had no idea! Re-offender was one of their most played songs... it's nice to know the numbers show that.
I didn't try that hard but wasn't able to find out whether there were any more number 1s else where...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 30 Sep, 2009 3:04 PM Quote
What are the odds on Travis having a UK number 1 single? Album, i think could happen again. But single? I think those days are over unfortunately. As long as they keep making great music, that's the only thing that matters. :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 30 Sep, 2009 4:39 PM Quote
I think it's unlikely they'll ever have a #1 single but it's always possible. Look at Kings of Leon, one big tune and you're straight to the top. On the other hand, Elbow managed only #35 with One Day Like This and that is fairly likely to be voted best song of the decade. They'd probably have to go deliberately commercial and I can't see that happening thankfully.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Wed 30 Sep, 2009 4:52 PM Quote
It's difficult for a band that's already been huge, to be huge again. Travis got higher and higher in the charts 7 singles in a row, reaching #3 with Sing and then it stopped. They wouldn't do it without plenty of promotion. Jonathan Woss appearance, Jools Holland appearance, in the background of Hollyoaks! :P You never know, stranger things have happened...

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Wed 30 Sep, 2009 10:28 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Anyone want to do the research? ;)

and I thoght I was lazy!:)

you have until 6pm tomorrow !

I've been busy. ;P

From what I can tell though, they've had 1 number one (Re-Offender) and a couple of number 2's (Closer and Sing in Israel and France respectively). I would've expected Sing to get to number 1 somewhere but doesn't look like it from wikipedia.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 01 Oct, 2009 1:38 AM Quote
Yes, that's odd. If I had to bet on a Travis song to have reached #1 in Argentina, it'd be Sing, not Re-Offender.

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Thu 01 Oct, 2009 7:10 PM Quote
This reminds me of Spinal Tap...

"Seems that Sex Farm is on the charts in Japan."

"Spinal Tap's recording of Sex Farm?"

"It was at number five last week, actually."

Inconsolable
Inconsolable Posted Thu 01 Oct, 2009 8:03 PM Quote
my favourite is Closer and Love Will Come Through

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 5:53 AM