Travis

FAO: Alex (aka Swede Boy)
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 6:19 PM Quote
My daughter and I are reading Pippi Longstocking together (I had never read it before) and the kids in the book are always eating pepparkakor. I thought it might be fun to make some at home to go along with the story. You know, because I'm geeky like that and am raising my child accordingly.

So, I Googled them, and they appear to be sort of like gingerbread cookies. Is that right? Are they crispy or soft? Are they good?

Re: FAO: Alex (aka Swede Boy)
Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 6:29 PM Quote
Lol I think I love you Kayte! I wish you were my mummy! haha

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 6:39 PM Quote
Hehe can you be my mummy too? :D

They're probably eating the crispy one, which is a christmas classic here, but it's eaten all year round.

http://www.newsdesk.se/files/04c3ed104e90de7ce5d518ed0f1b98ef/resources/ResourceHiresImage/thumbnails/pepparkaka_medium.jpg?1192013829

There's also a soft variant, which I prefer! This one's delicious!

http://www.arla.se/Images/RecipeImages_270/15492.jpg

They taste pretty much like gingerbread, I suppose?
Anyway I think your doughter's gonna love them... You should probably bake the crispy ones for her and serve them with cold milk! :) Do you want a recipe?

Good luck!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 6:45 PM Quote
I don't think I'm quite ready to have children who are already in their 20's, but thank you. I also do mean things like make you learn to spell the bonus challenge words on the spelling tests, even though they don't count.

Yes, Alex, I would like a recipe! I looked online and the ones I found were all poo-poo'd by real Swedish people. Thank you!

P.S. What does it say on the crispy ones in the picture?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 7:08 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I don't think I'm quite ready to have children who are already in their 20's, but thank you. I also do mean things like make you learn to spell the bonus challenge words on the spelling tests, even though they don't count.

Yes, Alex, I would like a recipe! I looked online and the ones I found were all poo-poo'd by real Swedish people. Thank you!

P.S. What does it say on the crispy ones in the picture?

Hehe I am by no means a baking expert, but I will try and find a good recipe and translate it for you :) Hopefully I will learn some of those "extra words" in the process! :)

Hehe it says: "Merry Christmas" ;)

I'll be back later with a recipe!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 7:18 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:

I'll be back later with a recipe!

Thanks, you're a peach!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 7:52 PM Quote
Recipe for 300 tenous pepparkakor

Ingredients:

300 g butter or margarine
5 dl sugar
1 dl syrup
1 tbs ginger
2 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs grounded(is that the correct word?) clove
1 tsp crushed cardamom
1 tbs bicarbonate of soda
2 dl water
1 1/2 liter wheat flour (ca 900 g)

Do like this:

1. Mix fat, sugar and syrup softly and add ginger, cinnamon, clove and cardamom. Mix the bicarbonate with water and pour it into the spice-mixture. Work in the flour orderly.
2. Put the dough on the baking table and continue to knead the dough with your hands. Put it to rest over the night, wrapped in plastic film wrap.
3. Put the oven on 225°. Roll out the dough, as thin as possible, on parchment paper(baking paper) and shape cookies with moulds or a spur(?). Put the baking paper(with the cookies) on a cold plate and bake in the middle of the oven for about 5 minutes. Tip: Put the hot plates on the balcony or another cold place and they will cool down faster in the breaks.

Hope I got everything right :P

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 7:59 PM Quote
http://www.newsdesk.se/files/04c3ed104e90de7ce5d518ed0f1b98ef/resources/ResourceHiresImage/thumbnails/pepparkaka_medium.jpg?1192013829

It's funny that that is Merry Christmas in Swedish. In English it looks like "God Feel"

Those cookies sound delicious. I might have to try and make them myself.

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 8:02 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

It's funny that that is Merry Christmas in Swedish. In English it looks like "God Feel"

Those cookies sound delicious. I might have to try and make them myself.

Hehe it says "God Jul", but Good Feel sounds nice :D

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 8:03 PM Quote
I'll have to convert the measurements, but there should be a handy-dandy web site to do that, I imagine.

My question would be with the syrup. What kind of syrup? Maple syrup? Corn syrup? Or possibly molasses?

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 8:10 PM Quote
Ooops I forgot that you don't use the same measurements, but there must be a webpage or program for that! :)

About the syrap, it just says "syrup", but I guess it should be "dark baking syrup". I don't know what it's called over there and syrup is not my favourite hobby ;)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 8:14 PM Quote
Sounds like molasses to me. Also that would compliment the other ingredients the best I think.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 8:21 PM Quote
I think that would be dark corn syrup.

Thanks, I'll try them over the weekend and I'll let you know. :D

Pippi rolled her cookies out on the floor, but we aren't going to do that.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 8:23 PM Quote
I've found a recipe with dark corn syrup and I've found one with molasses, so who knows. I have molasses on hand, though.

Hey, I just noticed there's no egg. Does that seem right, anyone?

mili
mili Posted Wed 13 May, 2009 8:30 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
I've found a recipe with dark corn syrup and I've found one with molasses, so who knows. I have molasses on hand, though.

Hey, I just noticed there's no egg. Does that seem right, anyone?

The Finnish ones (which I guess are similar to the Swedish ones) have eggs. Here we make the pastry the day before baking and let it settle in the fridge.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:57 AM