Travis

Letting Threads Die
harry potter
harry potter Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:02 PM Quote
hello,

float to the top is a good thing. but sometimes it can be a very, very bad thing - e.g. the whole situation with that DaveUrMan person. he's annoying that's true but he's feeding off the attention this annoyance is bringing in (a condition known as "Aztism").

ergo collegues - let the threads die. dead threads force attention to go away, along with, hopefully, the offending Aztistic.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Harold D. Potter Esq.
Director of Aztism Control
Society for Saner Msgboards
Boston, Ma

Re: Letting Threads Die
Beatle Babe
Beatle Babe Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:11 PM Quote
another way to conquer this would be for people to not post in threads that they don't like and leave the people who DO want to speak about it alone.

?

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:32 PM Quote
Beatle Babe is right.

A thread dies when it reaches a natural state of no further interest.

The fact that people are posting on the Dave threads is due to them liking it. (guilty!)

Once the topic is exhausted, it'll sink anyhow. Not worth bothering about.

The moderators of the forum will sift out offensive material, so that'll remove the truly bad stuff.

The idea of not feeding the trolls is spot on, Harry, when the poster, or their material, is not worth the bother. IMHO Dave's not a troll.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:33 PM Quote
hee hee or you get people like me "bumping" it right back up! lol

<only on the reading/music threads tho > lol

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:36 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
Beatle Babe is right.

The fact that people are posting on the Dave threads is due to them liking it. (guilty!)

The moderators of the forum will sift out offensive material, so that'll remove the truly bad stuff.

The idea of not feeding the trolls is spot on, Harry, when the poster, or their material, is not worth the bother. IMHO Dave's not a troll.

just popped into my head, reading your post. "The moderators.......the truly bad stuff". What would be the definition of truly bad stuff on this board?? i never get the feeling that posts are deleated because of offensive content. (and lets keep it that way! i say)

Beatle Babe
Beatle Babe Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:38 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
Tonie wrote:
Beatle Babe is right.

just popped into my head, reading your post. "The moderators.......the truly bad stuff". What would be the definition of truly bad stuff on this board?? i never get the feeling that posts are deleated because of offensive content. (and lets keep it that way! i say)

i think it's mainly offensive or aggressive behaviour. certainly not science!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:43 PM Quote
Aren't there t & c's for using the forum?

On the other forum that I frequent, anyone who makes offensive comments has their post removed and the poster is often removed themselves. The moderators are appointed for this purpose specifically.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:46 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

On the other forum that I frequent, anyone who makes offensive comments has their post removed and the poster is often removed themselves. The moderators are appointed for this purpose specifically.

at the risk of looking silly...
what are t & c's?

Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:47 PM Quote
no here and we should be proud that so far they had no reason to introduce it. let's keep it that way :)

Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:49 PM Quote
harry potter wrote:
hello,

float to the top is a good thing. but sometimes it can be a very, very bad thing - e.g. the whole situation with that DaveUrMan person. he's annoying that's true but he's feeding off the attention this annoyance is bringing in (a condition known as "Aztism").

ergo collegues - let the threads die. dead threads force attention to go away, along with, hopefully, the offending Aztistic.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Harold D. Potter Esq.
Director of Aztism Control
Society for Saner Msgboards
Boston, Ma

and I'm guilty of it *sigh*

Andrew
Andrew Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:51 PM Quote
Tenner says this thread's still on the front page come friday

=)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:52 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:

what are t & c's?

Not silly, just me speaking in shorthand: terms and conditions.

It's a bit risky not to have any code of practise to abide by. Not least because of spammers. But also because there needs to be a control in place to remove people who are offensive-not the usual users, but people who don't practise netiquette and respect.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:52 PM Quote
Sanne (nl) wrote:
Tonie wrote:

Terms and Conditions.

what are t & c's?

Ursina
Ursina Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 4:58 PM Quote
Andrew wrote:

=)

not with my help, said my piece lol

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 13 Jun, 2007 5:03 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
Andrew wrote:

=)

not with my help, said my piece lol

And what a well said peice it was - perhaps you will return to discuss the point of the thread someday?

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:53 PM