Travis

I put Champagne in the fridge for January 20th
AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 8:35 PM Quote
to celebrate Barack Obama's investiture.

CHEERS !

Re: I put Champagne in the fridge for January 20th
ricv64
ricv64 Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 9:48 PM Quote
thats lindseys birthday i think too

iraida
iraida Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 9:59 PM Quote
two reasons to celebrate then :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:08 PM Quote
After seeing his attitude regarding the Middle East Conflict, I'm not so sure if it'll be much of a diference for the rest of the world. I really hope I'm wrong, though.

DucatiMonster
DucatiMonster Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 11:36 PM Quote
So you can raise a glass to the Oreo president.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 12:15 AM Quote
Wow.

Never thought to see that kind of offensive term on this board.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 4:56 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Wow.

I second that Lauren.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 5:21 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
ElspethOllie wrote:
Wow.

I second that Lauren.

Wow. Me neither.

DucatiMonster
DucatiMonster Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:35 AM Quote

Hmmm OK an obvious faux pas by me, I never knew it was hugely offensive, It is descriptive but not offensive.

but I really don't understand why it is such an offensive term. It was a mere observation that the president elect is the "whitest" "black" person they could have picked, We're not exactly talking Jesse Jackson here.

If the news and others are gonna make an issue of his colour I want to make my view.

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 12:04 PM Quote
It's my 21st on Jan 20th too.
Would be even better if I was American lol!

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 5:26 PM Quote
DucatiMonster wrote:

Hmmm OK an obvious faux pas by me, I never knew it was hugely offensive, It is descriptive but not offensive.

but I really don't understand why it is such an offensive term. It was a mere observation that the president elect is the "whitest" "black" person they could have picked, We're not exactly talking Jesse Jackson here.

If the news and others are gonna make an issue of his colour I want to make my view.

Okay, see it's just ignorant. Just because he talks a certain way, and carries a himself a certain way, he's automatically the "white" "black" president. He went to school, he went to college, so of course he speaks eloquently. It's like because he possesses those traits, he's less of a black man.

Seriously, it's offensive. Have you ever been called an oreo? It sucks. I grew up around white people all of my life just because of where we lived, so I don't have a "blaccent," or whatever. But that doesn't mean I'm "white" on the inside, it's just how I was raised. It shouldn't take away from how black I am.

and pick a better arguement other then, "Well if everyone else is doing it..." I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, but you should know that that term, in the U.S., is offensive to people of color.

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 7:33 PM Quote
DucatiMonster wrote:

Wow! That is HUGELY offensive. As is "whitest black person". You are truly disgusting!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 8:14 PM Quote
DucatiMonster wrote:

Who is "they" that picked him? As far as I know he of his own free will chose to run. Or were there multiple blacks on the ballot that I somehow missed?

And are you saying Jesse Jackson is more black than Obama because he advocates more for people of color?

To me it seems like you're saying that because he doesn't fit the stereotype of what you think of black person is like then he is not black.

For the most part I have only heard black people say that this term is offensive and was used against them in a hurtful manner.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 8:35 PM Quote
DucatiMonster wrote:
So you can raise a glass to the Oreo president.

Black on the outside and white in the inside ?

Can you please be more specific as to what a "black" person's behaviour is different from a "white" person.

Moray
Moray Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 9:55 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:

Okay, see it's just ignorant. Just because he talks a certain way, and carries a himself a certain way, he's automatically the "white" "black" president. He went to school, he went to college, so of course he speaks eloquently. It's like because he possesses those traits, he's less of a black man.

Seriously, it's offensive. Have you ever been called an oreo? It sucks. I grew up around white people all of my life just because of where we lived, so I don't have a "blaccent," or whatever. But that doesn't mean I'm "white" on the inside, it's just how I was raised. It shouldn't take away from how black I am.

and pick a better arguement other then, "Well if everyone else is doing it..." I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, but you should know that that term, in the U.S., is offensive to people of color.

Lauren, can i just say I think, of all the posts I've read on this board, this is probably the most reasoned, best written, and most perfect response I've read. I just thought I'd say that.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:04 AM