Travis

window shades / shutters
lilly
lilly Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 9:46 AM Quote
ok, this came up yesterday in travis-chatland, and I just couldn't believe it: kayte said Americans do-not-have this sort of window-shades/shutters (you usually have a switch or a cord-thingy inside to let them down and when you do, the room goes pitch-black). I know they exist in most countries in Europe, but if they don't exist on the other side of the big pond, we might have found a market niche here!! ;D

http://www.kohler-rolladenbau.de/neubaurolladen_001.jpg

http://www.gall-bauelemente.de/images/rolladen.jpg

some of them can be tilted like this:
http://www.taca-sonnenschutz.de/bilder/rolladen/rld1.jpg

Re: window shades / shutters
Darran
Darran Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:00 AM Quote
They look more like barriers to stop burglars, in the UK we have these type of things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/TheGuv/Window.jpg

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:10 AM Quote
lol, now that you mention it... it's true... they really look like some sort of barrier

we have yours, too, usually in older appartment-buildings. I've always had those, never the modern stuff, but people who have the new burglar-barriers-like shutters always say they sleep so much better because the shutters really "shut out" the streetlights.

Darran
Darran Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:14 AM Quote
Yeah, I'd love them, I have to have total darkness to sleep.

I actually made a blackout curtain to put over the window before I pull the blind down to help me sleep better.

Joe
Joe Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:32 AM Quote
Having lived both in Franc and in England, I must say that the continental blinds are way better. The English ones shown above don't keep out the light, don't give you that much privacy (as they translucent, you cast shadows) and they break really easily.
The French ones keep out everything: light, cold, burglers...you name it!

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:32 AM Quote
Darran wrote:

I actually made a blackout curtain to put over the window before I pull the blind down to help me sleep better.

that's a good idea, I should make one, too...

hm, so can I add "UK" to my list if I ever go into the shutters business? ;)

they also help saving money, because they keep the heat inside (I wish I had them here, it's soooo cold at night because the central heating goes off at 9pm and my appartment is in this old building where the cold has settled down centuries ago...)

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:40 AM Quote
Joe wrote:
Having lived both in Franc and in England, I must say that the continental blinds are way better. The English ones shown above don't keep out the light, don't give you that much privacy (as they translucent, you cast shadows) and they break really easily.
The French ones keep out everything: light, cold, burglers...you name it!

exactly. I was so surprised when Kayte told me they don't have them in the United States. apart from me (or so it seems) almost everyone here has (or gets) the new ones now, they're so much better...

mili
mili Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:45 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
Darran wrote:

that's a good idea, I should make one, too...

hm, so can I add "UK" to my list if I ever go into the shutters business? ;)

they also help saving money, because they keep the heat inside (I wish I had them here, it's soooo cold at night because the central heating goes off at 9pm and my appartment is in this old building where the cold has settled down centuries ago...)

Add Finland to your list, too, we don't have those. But we do have the other kind of blinds and double, triple or even quadruple glasses in our windows + central heating on 24/7 in colder months. My home is in a 1952 block of flats with original windows, so only double glazing for us.

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 10:59 AM Quote
mili wrote:

Add Finland to your list, too, we don't have those. But we do have the other kind of blinds and double, triple or even quadruple glasses in our windows + central heating on 24/7 in colder months. My home is in a 1952 block of flats with original windows, so only double glazing for us.

FINLAND doesn't have them, either????
my god, they would be perfect for you people, with the cold and everything... do you have floor-heating, then?

I've got double glasses, too, but (haha) in my appartment in Passau the cold has found its way around the windows (old house, built by people who thought "oh well let's just build a wall here and another one there and connect them somehow"...)

mili
mili Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:24 AM Quote
lilly wrote:
mili wrote:

FINLAND doesn't have them, either????
my god, they would be perfect for you people, with the cold and everything... do you have floor-heating, then?

I've got double glasses, too, but (haha) in my appartment in Passau the cold has found its way around the windows (old house, built by people who thought "oh well let's just build a wall here and another one there and connect them somehow"...)

No, we have radiators with water circulating in them. Also it's a distant heating system. Floor-heating is pretty rare in the whole flat, we only have it in the bathroom. I have lived in a flat with floor-heating, and it's actually not far from here.

My in-laws in England have single galzing in their 1930's house. You really appreciate fireplaces and woolly socks there!

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:11 PM Quote
mili wrote:

No, we have radiators with water circulating in them. Also it's a distant heating system. Floor-heating is pretty rare in the whole flat, we only have it in the bathroom. I have lived in a flat with floor-heating, and it's actually not far from here.

My in-laws in England have single galzing in their 1930's house. You really appreciate fireplaces and woolly socks there!

well at least you do have a good heating system! (but I guess without one you'd be doomed in Finnland ;) )

hm, now that you mention the single glazing... I think I've never really seen proper double glazing in an English family's home *scratches her head and tries to remember her host families' houses*

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 1:34 PM Quote
(Ok just talked to a friend and she said she knows they already have the shutters in Florida and West Virginia)

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 2:24 PM Quote
For those of you who have never experienced the joys of living with Rolladens, you don't know what you're missing. I don't even care what they look like from the outside. They're fantastic. (Is that a brand name or a generic name?)

Lilly, when we start our Rolladen export/import business we are going to be SO RICH. We just have to double check on the fire safety thing, so that we don't become responsible for suffocated children trying to get out.

lilly
lilly Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 2:37 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
For those of you who have never experienced the joys of living with Rolladens, you don't know what you're missing. I don't even care what they look like from the outside. They're fantastic. (Is that a brand name or a generic name?)

Lilly, when we start our Rolladen export/import business we are going to be SO RICH. We just have to double check on the fire safety thing, so that we don't become responsible for suffocated children trying to get out.

Yaaay!
The fire safety can't possibly be an issue, because no German family would have Rolläden if there was a problem with fire safety... I think... err... actually, yeah, let's check on that...
I'll pay extra attention in my lectures next term, then - I've got to do two of my final exams in accounting and business organisation ;D

Rolladen is not a brand name, we can use it ;)
In fact, Rolladen would be the singular, the plural is Rolläden ;D

Lizzie b
Lizzie b Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 2:46 PM Quote
OMG i am SO glad u posted this! i was in Rome this weekend and saw them everywhere, and i was like "do they have a burglar problem here; what ARE those things?"

i think they would be TOO dark...

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 1:14 PM