Travis

Christmas Craft ideas needed!
Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 3:20 PM Quote
Hi ya'll,

Well as you know it is coming to that time of year and for work I have two craft sessons to hold in December. I love this kinda thing but I have a dead brain at the minute and could do with fresh ideas.

Anyone have any goods ideas as to what I can do with 20 kids, craft-wise?

Helen, what have you got planned for your lot?

Many Thanks in advance :o)

Re: Christmas Craft ideas needed!
minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 3:24 PM Quote
my favourite christmas craft when i was in grade 1 (although weirdly, i remember that the gulf war was on a tv in my classroom while we made these. that seems strange).
Make wreaths out of a wire clothes hanger and green garbage bags.
Stretch the hanger into a circle and cut the bags into maybe...15cm x 5 cm strips and tie them around the wreath until it is full and...green and bushy.
Then decorate with ribbon or whatever.

I will try to think of more. Im a crafty dork.
how old are the kiddies?

Darran
Darran Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 3:32 PM Quote
When I was a kid all those many moons ago I remember making my mum a Christmas decoration sweet thing.

You get some oasis (not the band) cones

http://www.celebritystyleweddings.co.uk/shop/prodimages/OasisConeS.JPG

and decorate them with tinsel and glitter, snow , sparkly things and them you get things like lollipops and sweets and put them around the cone/tree thing by pushing the stick into the oasis so they hold.

Or you could try something like this.

http://img.thefind.com/images/ZwAzvx_PNo1hGoN-EwtDWk5-eWpRcXxiXkp8emZaSTFDRklJgZW-fnl5uV5yRlFmcUluYnFBan5BTqpecn6ufkliUk5qSX6BLlxSt6QoNbVYPzM3MR1IGZqZGBrqZRWkMwAA?m=1&g=2

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 3:45 PM Quote
Though I'm sure it'd be great if you could get Oasis the band as opposed to oasis cones at your library! : )

I'm dreadfully un-crafty. This site looks promising
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/christmas/index.shtml

And this one
http://www.amazingmoms.com/htm/christmas_crafts.htm

Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 4:54 PM Quote
Thanks for all your ideas! :)

Hey I have those cone thing in my craft storeroom (yes I have a whole wee room to myself)lol. They aren't oasis tho, just cardboard....maybe could still do something with them! Great idea...cheers.

The kids will be 5 - 10 yr olds.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 5:23 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Though I'm sure it'd be great if you could get Oasis the band as opposed to oasis cones at your library! : )

Im not sure the band appreciates being sprinkled with glitter and having lollipops shoved in them.

Darran
Darran Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 5:28 PM Quote
We leave that to David Bowie

http://www.aolcdn.com/photos-music/david-bowie-lollipop-eye-320.jpg

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 5:31 PM Quote
ow! that looks painful!
I was also picturing Oasis dancing around on some bad boy band Christmas music video set with fake snow falling from the ceiling. It was a disturbing image.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:50 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

Im not sure the band appreciates being sprinkled with glitter and having lollipops shoved in them.

I wasn't envisioning them being used as the craft project. I more thought perhaps they could play some tunes for the wee ones.

It should be safe since the crazy Irish man goes to Canada to attack.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 7:51 PM Quote
fair enough. Irish man was in court last week, but i never heard what happened.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 30 Oct, 2008 9:45 PM Quote
Hello people? Christmas crafts? Back to the subject! lol

dee
dee Posted Fri 31 Oct, 2008 4:48 PM Quote
*make 2d a christmas bauble scene:
using clear sticky contact(the stuff you cover books with)
glitter, confetti, material scraps etc.

the kids basically just put the stuff on the sticky side-it's really handy and not messy at all since there's no gluing involved. you can string them together and they look really cool. i made lots of penguin one's last year.

*christmas collage/recycled Christmas cards.
if you get people to donate their old Christmas cards children can either cut out the pictures to make their own collage on poster paper and draw in a winter scene behind it
or else give them ready fold card to which they paste their favourite image and decorate with glitter, lettering, cotton wool etc. to make a brand new personalised card.

*make tealight holders with old jamjars. you can paint on jamjars with neat poster paint-no water, cotton buds are deadly for painting with as they can be disposed of and are easy for kids to manoeuvre.
it looks really cool if you do it like a fire place leaving a blank place where the candle will be seen through-just like an open fire and you can draw santy's legs dangling down etc.
glitter can be applied directly to the wet paint if you want or you can go over the jar with a mixture of glitter and pva glue to give them a nice sheen if desired.

hope these help-i've millions of teachery type ideas for Christmas if you want them

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Fri 31 Oct, 2008 5:50 PM Quote
Ha ha, Helen here! I've just about got over my Halloween stuff, i had to give ideas to our main library because they couldn't come up with some ideas. I mainly have to just give stuff out because we're so small (and just a branch library) so we don't have room for the kids to sit down and do crafts. I've started brainstorming Christmas display ideas in my head (i got lots of lovely feedback about my Halloween displays so i've got to top it! I will put up photos to show you).

Anyway, crafts. Hmmmmm. It depends what you have done before such as making 3-D snowmen, 3-D Christmas cards, Christmas decorations, advent calenders, candel decorations. It also depends on what resources you want to/can use?

You'll have to leave me with this so i can have a good think...and consult Neil Buchannan!

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 01 Nov, 2008 11:05 AM Quote
Dee,

Thanks so much for your ideas, brilliant! I like the idea of the sticky book backing stuff. Simple enough and great for the young ones in the group (which will be many). I have LOADS of card and paints, sequins, fluffy balls, cotton wool, glitter etc. Would you have a picture of the penguin things or bauble things as I can't quite figure that in my head. But great idea.

Re. Candle holder..good idea but won't have enough time to get jam jars...maybe do that for next yr!

Helen,

Cheers hun, ideas would be great...space isn't a problem for me as we have a very big meeting room that I can go crazy in. Re. materials I can go to the Education Resource Centre where they have lots of ex-factory materials that I can pick up for free and then buy more craft materials.

I usually make huge displays with the kids. We have done The Snowman which was MASSIVE and used a LOT of Cotton Wool! lol Also usually make decorations for the Xmas tree, hanging decorations/crackers etc, Cards, angels, stockings etc.

So brain storm for me :) I have two sessions so need two different things.

Really fancy Dee's idea so need one more thing to do.

Thanks very much girls! :)

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 01 Nov, 2008 11:13 AM Quote
Ps. Helen, can't wait to see your pics! lol

We had our Halloween Party/Spooky Storytime yesterday and all the kids came in fancy dress....all 34 of them! lol Was CRAZY! But fun! I feed them with Halloween cake, biscuits, flumps, jellies and blood juice.....they were bouncing around like crazy on sugar and E numbers! lol

Kinda felt for the Parents picking them up! haha

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:19 PM