Travis

Three listens in...!
Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 1:03 PM Quote

Have listened to the(Vinyl!!)album three times now - 1st time through headphones at earsplitting volume, 2nd time in living room through speakers, at slightly lower sound level so as not to annoy neighbours, and 3rd time whilst trying to entertain my 2 year old son!

The good news is that I still think it equals The Man Who - its a really cohesive album all the way through, and I love the rawness that some of the songs have.

Anyway - here's my track by track analysis just for the record.....

Side One

Chinese Blues - GREAT intro. The howl of Andy's guitar in the opening 20 seconds or so straight away makes you think that this is gonna be a different album. Would surely make a better single than Song To Self?

J Smith - After Chinese Blues, J Smith doesn't sound quite as epic as it did on the EP. I think Andy's guitar sounds a bit louder in the mix on the album.

Something Anything - Loving Dougie's bass line on this tune - sounding very 'Elastica'. It was a total travesty that this song never charted. Another great tune - these first 3 songs are probably the strongest start to a Travis album yet.

Long Way Down - Was kind of expecting something a little bit heavier after hearing it live via Youtube. But, its still catchy and really loving the Digsy's Dinner style piano solo. The song does remind me of Oasis though(Sorry Fran!) - can imagine Noel belting it out at a festival.

Broken Mirror - Can't understand some of the lukewarm reviews of this song, I think its SUPERB!! I think it sounds quite Nirvana ish at the start. Andy's guitar adds to the sense of edginess/unease throughout the song, and after the upbeat stuff, its nice that side one finishes with something like this.

Side Two

Last Words - For me this could have been on the Invisible Band, a throwback to 2001. I think it would be good to see this one live. Again, I can't pick fault with this - nice to see the banjo back as well!!

Quite Free - The first one where I think it sounds a bit too much like other songs I've heard before. I'll get killed for saying this but the first time I heard it, it reminded me of Savage Garden's 'To The Moon & Back'. I think its maybe the verses that have similar chords or something. Still think the guitar on this sounds a bit Chris Rea as well. That said, its a pleasant tune which could be a single as its radio friendly, but its not my favourite.

Get Up - Hmm..liked it on the EP. But then when you hear it alongide the others, I think it maybe should have stayed on the EP. Would have preferred Sarah to have made it onto the album instead of this one - but I guess there was only room for one slow piano led song!

Friends - Yes! Like it! Andy's guitar bits are ace, and the rest is as well.

Song To Self - I think its OK, but I have doubts if its gonna be a hit single. There's a lot happening on this record, lots of guitars and the synth/string bit, it almost sounds like the band are playing too fast for the drum tempo at times - you can tell they were into it when they recorded it. But, I think there are better songs on the album.....

Before You Were Young - .....like this song!! Really love this song, think it could have worked just with the piano on its own all the way through. Has Fran ever sounded this heartfelt on a Travis song before?

All in all - I put this one in joint 1st as my favourite album......

1st place - Ode/12 mems
2ns - Invisible Band
3rd - The Man Who
4th - Good Feeling
5th - Boy With No Name

Re: Three listens in...!
Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 1:13 PM Quote
"The good news is that I still think it equals The Man Who - its a really cohesive album all the way through, and I love the rawness that some of the songs have."

"1st place - Ode/12 mems
2ns - Invisible Band
3rd - The Man Who
4th - Good Feeling
5th - Boy With No Name"

So it equals TMW but it doesn't, and after 3 listens it's one of the two best album they've done. Right you are then.

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 1:48 PM Quote
In my enthusiasm I may have contracticted myself a few times, but who can blame me, its a class album!!

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 2:15 PM Quote
Hey Hodgy , I think thats spot on. Good review. Do you think Friends would make a good single?

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 3:21 PM Quote
I think it could do yeah, I think Chinese Blues first, then maybe Last Words/and or Quite Free, and then Friends as the 4th single?

Would quite like to see them do a couple more EP's as well though, a bit like Oasis used to do with their singles. They could maybe release a double A side of Chinese Blues/Quite Free, plus 2 new B sides. Or even just an EP of 4 live tracks from the album

Craig
Craig Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 6:22 PM Quote
yup your review is spot on my friend!! exactly what i thought when i first heard quite free

Craig
Craig Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 6:22 PM Quote
yup your review is spot on my friend!! exactly what i thought when i first heard quite free

Craig
Craig Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
Somewhere Else wrote:
Hey Hodgy , I think thats spot on. Good review. Do you think Friends would make a good single?

i think friends would make a decent single

Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Tue 30 Sep, 2008 11:39 PM Quote
Craig wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:

Same here. I think it's probably my favourite song on the album so far after a few listens. It's a really cool song.

Jimmy_Jimmy
Craig wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:

Same here. I think it's probably my favourite song on the album so far after a few listens. It's a really cool song.

Jimmy_Jimmy
Craig wrote:
Somewhere Else wrote:

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:47 PM