TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 3:08 PM Quote
So how's the counting going?

Re: Song Showdown - News & Discussion
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 5:32 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
So how's the counting going?

Counting done. :) There were over 50 votes... 32 battles each... I'm glad the next one will only be half the length lol.

Randomising songs now.

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 5:36 PM Quote
Come on Luke, get a move on, I'm waiting :-P
I'll have to go and cook dinner soon so I've only got a bit of time on here.
PS make sure you let Quite Free go through (no-one will notice, shussshhh, our secret!)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:01 PM Quote
Sorry, i know we shouldn't be chatting about it in the other one.

Typing to Reach You wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
The Cage won the first page 5-2
The Cage lost the second page 5-9
The Cage lost the third page 3-5
The Cage lost the forth page 4-5
The Cage won the fifth page 10-4

You voted for Falling Down.

The Cage beat Falling Down 27-26. ;)

Yeah I know I know, I did it wrong. The whole competition is corrupt lol. But y'see we just sweep all the mistakes under the carpet there and nobody ever notices. :P

Just pretend I closed the vote before the last 'the cage' vote came in. If people hadn't voted yet I'd change it but it's too late now really...

LOL I counted Big Chair v Friends. I may be wrong because i only counted once but i think that was a draw. You obviously decided to put Friends through. If we discount the last vote, we need to remove Friends from the Showdown and put Big Chair back in. ;) Hehe. And while we're at it, let's put Quite Free back into the competition too. Yeah! :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:13 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
LOL I counted Big Chair v Friends. I may be wrong because i only counted once but i think that was a draw. You obviously decided to put Friends through. If we discount the last vote, we need to remove Friends from the Showdown and put Big Chair back in. ;) Hehe. And while we're at it, let's put Quite Free back into the competition too. Yeah! :)

Frankly it's a competition to find the best song, so Falling Down was right to get through ;)

Yeah! Song reincarnation! I knew that pickling was a good idea!*

*let's ignore the fact this would severely bugger up the next round :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 10:19 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Frankly it's a competition to find the best song, so Falling Down was right to get through ;)

Yeah! Song reincarnation! I knew that pickling was a good idea!*

*let's ignore the fact this would severely bugger up the next round :)

No, it's a competition to find the favourite song of the Board. Obviously the whole Board didn't vote but the ones that did voted for The Cage.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Mon 17 Nov, 2008 11:25 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Sorry, i know we shouldn't be chatting about it in the other one.

BenFilbert wrote:
The Cage won the first page 5-2
The Cage lost the second page 5-9
The Cage lost the third page 3-5
The Cage lost the forth page 4-5
The Cage won the fifth page 10-4

You voted for Falling Down.

The Cage beat Falling Down 27-26. ;)

Yeah I know I know, I did it wrong. The whole competition is corrupt lol. But y'see we just sweep all the mistakes under the carpet there and nobody ever notices. :P

Just pretend I closed the vote before the last 'the cage' vote came in. If people hadn't voted yet I'd change it but it's too late now really...

Lol yes Big Chair and Friends was a draw, at least I got that one right. xD

Um, well anyway, we'll just have to assume that The Cage wouldn't actually go on to win the competition. :P Although it may well have beaten Friends in this round. I'll make sure to put extra special love and care into The Cage's pickling, and stick an apology note on its jar...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:21 AM Quote

Um, well anyway, we'll just have to assume that The Cage wouldn't actually go on to win the competition. :P Although it may well have beaten Friends in this round. I'll make sure to put extra special love and care into The Cage's pickling, and stick an apology note on its jar...

The Cage wouldn't have won. It'll be Writing To Reach You that wins. We could have just asked what everyones favourite song was if all we were after was the number 1 favourite. Falling Down is getting a load of votes now against Friends. Kind of silly really because it shouldn't be there. It's like John Sergeant in Strictly Come Dancing. I'm annoyed he's still in. Falling Down is John Sergeant.

I'm not having a go. Everyone makes mistakes. ;)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 1:04 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

The Cage wouldn't have won. It'll be Writing To Reach You that wins. We could have just asked what everyones favourite song was if all we were after was the number 1 favourite. Falling Down is getting a load of votes now against Friends. Kind of silly really because it shouldn't be there. It's like John Sergeant in Strictly Come Dancing. I'm annoyed he's still in. Falling Down is John Sergeant.

Just enjoy the process. ;) Remember that some people think Falling Down is pretty awesome, and I happen to be one of them.

One of the reasons I wouldn't be so keen on adopting a seeding system is that it'd make it more predictable... more rigid. I like the whole unpredictability, the fact that some weaker songs are still in the mix, and having some strong songs paired up against each other. Otherwise it'd be the same thing every showdown. After all, I don't do showdowns just for the sake or seeing who the winner is, or making some sort of ranking list. If that were the only aim, there are far better and more accurate methods out there. The best thing about song showdown is it makes people think about and way up every song, and express an opinion on them. This very discussion about The Cage and Falling Down is part of the song showdown experience. And, of course, I also liking causing people lots and lots of pain. ;D

And yeah my money is on Writing to Reach You too.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 1:11 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Just enjoy the process. ;) Remember that some people think Falling Down is pretty awesome, and I happen to be one of them.

One of the reasons I wouldn't be so keen on adopting a seeding system is that it'd make it more predictable... more rigid. I like the whole unpredictability, the fact that some weaker songs are still in the mix, and having some strong songs paired up against each other. Otherwise it'd be the same thing every showdown. After all, I don't do showdowns just for the sake or seeing who the winner is, or making some sort of ranking list. If that were the only aim, there are far better and more accurate methods out there. The best thing about song showdown is it makes people think about and way up every song, and express an opinion on them. This very discussion about The Cage and Falling Down is part of the song showdown experience. And, of course, I also liking causing people lots and lots of pain. ;D

Yes, lots of people do think Falling Down is pretty awesome. In this particular showdown however, more people liked The Cage. ;) I understand all that you say but it still stands, you put the wrong song through. I think Eyes Wide Open is awesome but that didn't get through... It is annoying to see votes for Falling Down though.

The only challenger to Writing To Reach You is Before You Were Young. It's a great song but i think there is a large amount of "new" to it and i think it'll lose votes over time. You know, maybe if you do another Showdown in the future. :) Use an abacus next time. ;) lol

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 4:17 AM Quote
Uh-oh. Showdown scandal!! Are you cheating, Lukey? lol :P

I'd vote for The Cage over Falling Down...but I've decided to give up. :( I just can't make up my mind on most of them.

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 8:00 AM Quote
Luke I wanted to thank you for the showdown, and for keeping the Falling Down. It might be contrary to the spirit of voting but hey, I think it was a holly intervention (a bright light and a choir of angels singing Falling Down in the background)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 11:21 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:

Yes, lots of people do think Falling Down is pretty awesome. In this particular showdown however, more people liked The Cage. ;) I understand all that you say but it still stands, you put the wrong song through. I think Eyes Wide Open is awesome but that didn't get through... It is annoying to see votes for Falling Down though.

The only challenger to Writing To Reach You is Before You Were Young. It's a great song but i think there is a large amount of "new" to it and i think it'll lose votes over time. You know, maybe if you do another Showdown in the future. :) Use an abacus next time. ;) lol

Oh I'm not denying Falling Down shouldn't have got through... I might try and alternative way of counting next time. :P But at least the vote was extremely close, so the fact its through still serves as a rough reflection of people's tastes...

Who's into precise numbers anyway, maybe I just rounded 'em both up to 30 lol.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 18 Nov, 2008 1:20 PM Quote
Who's into precise numbers anyway, maybe I just rounded 'em both up to 30 lol.

You can't say we didn't offer to count ;) (well I did anyway). Good luck on next round's counting, no pressure!

I'm feeling indifferent to WTRY at the moment, I'll vote against it from now on, just for a bit of variety. I might start an "overthrow WTRY!" campaign if I didn't think I'd get lynched by everyone :)

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:32 PM