Travis

Re: I feel old
AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:15 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
dear nikki , wait until someone calls you "mam " then yer olde

someone called me ma'am at work when i was like 17. And i occasionally get that when im shopping or something. "Have a nice day, ma'am." my god, i am 23 and not a ma'am!

or wait until someone calls you "matey" !
LOL

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:23 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Moray wrote:
I feel bad for Ric - people were still shitting in outhouses, and marvelling at 'talkies' when he was a lad!!

There's an outhouse in most Finnish summer cottages…

Anyone here used a Telex machine? I once had a summer job at ship brokers', where one of my duties was to send telex messages my boss had prepared ready in those cute papertapes. Sometimes a machine would start ringing, and then there was somebody wanting immediate attention at the other end, kind of a stone age Messenger. The same company had one über moder machine, the telefax!!!

umm, no i dont remember those, but i do remember having a ditto machine in my elementry school. an old school photocopier.
Apperently my family's cottage had an outhouse but my mom insisted on indoor plumbing when she started bringing us as children.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:39 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:

LOL

Matey? That would make me feel like a pirate. "Ahoy there, Matey!" Arrrrrrrrr! That's way cooler than mam.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:41 PM Quote
ya, im cool with matey. It goes with my peg leg

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:43 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

Ooooh, and a bandana and an eye patch! And a maybe a hook. Actually, a fork would be better, don't you think? Much more practical.

physke
physke Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:46 PM Quote
http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_module2/74985/amstrad%20cpc_qjpreviewth.jpg

and here is my first computer: amstrad. it was about 15 years ago and still I can't forget it's green monitor!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:51 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

Ooooh, and a bandana and an eye patch! And a maybe a hook. Actually, a fork would be better, don't you think? Much more practical.

it certainly would be for some sorta cake loving pirate! or maybe a modified swiss army knife that has a hook, fork and straw for pirate rum.

mili
mili Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:55 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
mili wrote:
Moray wrote:
I feel bad for Ric - people were still shitting in outhouses, and marvelling at 'talkies' when he was a lad!!

Anyone here used a Telex machine? I once had a summer job at ship brokers', where one of my duties was to send telex messages my boss had prepared ready in those cute papertapes. Sometimes a machine would start ringing, and then there was somebody wanting immediate attention at the other end, kind of a stone age Messenger. The same company had one über moder machine, the telefax!!!

umm, no i dont remember those, but i do remember having a ditto machine in my elementry school. an old school photocopier.
Apperently my family's cottage had an outhouse but my mom insisted on indoor plumbing when she started bringing us as children.

Is ditto machine the one that makes faint purple blue copies, some kind of wax (??) copier? We had that in my first school in the 70's (I know I'm ancient!). The item to be copied had to be hand written on a special material and making copies was slow and apparently expensive.

Some fantastic art supplies here, I still use some of them:

http://www.drawger.com/show.php?show_id=32

mili
mili Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:
minnmess wrote:

it certainly would be for some sorta cake loving pirate! or maybe a modified swiss army knife that has a hook, fork and straw for pirate rum.

Mmm, that sounds interesting. My current Swiss army knife only has boring stuff.

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 6:01 PM Quote
Old at 23? 60 years ago maybe but now? no way. I believe that you are a really cool person, this is just an ever changing world. :-)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 6:09 PM Quote
mili wrote:
minnmess wrote:
mili wrote:
Moray wrote:

Is ditto machine the one that makes faint purple blue copies, some kind of wax (??) copier? We had that in my first school in the 70's (I know I'm ancient!). The item to be copied had to be hand written on a special material and making copies was slow and apparently expensive.

Some fantastic art supplies here, I still use some of them:

http://www.drawger.com/show.php?show_id=32

probably the same idea but i dont think ours had to be handwriten. But yes it left weird streaks and it smelled bad and you had to crank and handel. I dont know why we had thing bc i distinctly remember having a photo copier. I think it was cheaper to do lots of copies this way or something. I really only remember this until about grade 2 or 3 (early 90s) so i think it ceased to exist after that

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 6:30 PM Quote
Ric, is this you at 3:25? Get off my lawn!

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 6:39 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
AbsGinger wrote:

LOL

Matey? That would make me feel like a pirate. "Ahoy there, Matey!" Arrrrrrrrr! That's way cooler than mam.

This is how some guy talked to me in a flea market years ago
I looked at him and asked if i really looked like a bloke and then he said "no luv !".
LOL

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 10:56 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
dee wrote:
reminds me of a certain somebody who complains about kids going around dressed in shades of brown and carrying dunlop bags which they pay horrible amounts of money for now but which he used to be pissed off at having to wear when he was a kid.

i wonder who that is *ponders* he's right though retro + vintage = belle and sebastian fans :)

Twats, the lot of them, saw one today in Tower Records looking at Michael Bubbly CDs, yeah totally cool and trendy ya wank.

and while I'm on the subject saw a young lad yesterday guesstimate around 18-20, wearing Baseball Boots, Drainpipe Levis and a Stonewashed Denim Jacket. I remember my Dad wearing that exact sh!t 25 fucking years ago ya wee spunkbag!!

Dubz

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] All Times BST Current Time 5:55 PM