Travis

Re: Something anything: I have some doubt......
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:19 PM Quote
It's really beautiful Nikki. Could be straight off The Invisible Band. Again, written by Dougie according to Fran's blog. But it does, like Song To Self, have a little more umph behind it than it might have had if recorded last year for example. Though saying that, I imagine it'll be the softest on the album. Love the banjo, love the lyrics, love Andy's guitar. Wonderful. :)

purplesky
purplesky Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:21 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
It's really beautiful Nikki. Could be straight off The Invisible Band. Again, written by Dougie according to Fran's blog. But it does, like Song To Self, have a little more umph behind it than it might have had if recorded last year for example. Though saying that, I imagine it'll be the softest on the album. Love the banjo, love the lyrics, love Andy's guitar. Wonderful. :)

oh.. haven't listened to it yet. gotta check it out on you tube.. can't wait!!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:33 PM Quote
Be careful of YouTube. Most of it is awful on there.

auronsquall
auronsquall Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:35 PM Quote
purplesky wrote:
Yea. I've loved Travis for their beautiful and sound melody, and sentimental lyrics, kind of quality that other rock bands never had. (I haven't found any other bands who give me the same level of comfort and satisfaction like Travis' songs give. ) In that way, I was so satisfied with TBWNN for Travis' getting back to the style of TMW & TIB.

But people seem to want heavier and sensational music these days... There were quite a lot of people mentioning Travis' songs are too calm.(For me, their songs were perfect just the way they were.) So.. I think Ode is a nice and fresh change to bring back many rock fans who are keen on rockier stuff, definitely making Travis not only "our Travis" but also "many people's Travis".

If Travis is doing heavy metal stuff, oh...I can't imagine. I wouldn't want that.. but the level that Ode has is very exciting and fresh. The new songs are brilliant and catchy at the same time. Also it has the classic, like "Friends".."Song to self".. so I'm quite sure that the new "Travis" will give me a different kind of joy and excitement. :)

I agree with your comment a lot. It definitely sounds fresh compared to their older material (not that Tbwnn is old lol, 2007 release come on) but I like the fact that you can still recognize that it is Travis when you hear it, it doesnt alienate any of their old fans but it also attracts others.
I'd really like to see a bigger response from the American side though, it might be hard for people to get past the thought that all British rock bands must sound like Coldplay for some people.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:58 PM Quote
auronsquall wrote:

it doesnt alienate any of their old fans but it also attracts others.

Plus it should bring back the fans who stopped liking Travis when they turned soppy! And there is a significant number of these!

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 8:53 PM Quote
mmmmmmmmm......

I hate being negative, really don't wanna say it, but...

For me this isn't a good choice for first single at all. It's not a patch on Song To Self, nothing like as good, nowhere near. Nothing like as memorable, nothing like as well crafted, nothing like as appealing for me. Not heard many of the other songs aside from SA/J.Smith/Sarah/Get Up/STS so can't really judge on the lot, but having heard STS and initially assumed that's the first single, only to have that blown apart and find I don't like the 'real' first single half as much feels a bit....strange.

It's not a bad song at all, but I find it bland. I find quite a few of Dougie's songs quite lyrically repetitive too....simple, with constant repetition of words like nothing/anything/something.....still think The Distance is by far and away the best song he's written. Far from appealing to people who normally dismiss Travis, I'm worried people are going to see it as a dull attempt to rock out and can't see it charting very well. I really, really, really hope I'm 100% wrong and in a total minority.

I gotta be honest. Sorry. :(

mecarr
mecarr Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:10 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
mmmmmmmmm......

For me this isn't a good choice for first single at all. It's not a patch on Song To Self, nothing like as good, nowhere near. Nothing like as memorable, nothing like as well crafted, nothing like as appealing for me. Not heard many of the other songs aside from SA/J.Smith/Sarah/Get Up/STS so can't really judge on the lot, but having heard STS and initially assumed that's the first single, only to have that blown apart and find I don't like the 'real' first single half as much feels a bit....strange.

It's not a bad song at all, but I find it bland. I find quite a few of Dougie's songs quite lyrically repetitive too....simple, with constant repetition of words like nothing/anything/something.....still think The Distance is by far and away the best song he's written. Far from appealing to people who normally dismiss Travis, I'm worried people are going to see it as a dull attempt to rock out and can't see it charting very well. I really, really, really hope I'm 100% wrong and in a total minority.

Speaking of Dougie saying the words "nothing,anything,something" alot, remember he wrote the song "Know nothing". There have been two other times I felt Travis picked the wrong song for their first single. In the Invisible Band, they chose "Sing", when a song like "side" would have done better as it was more catchy. And in 12 memories they those "Re-Offender" as their first single, but I think "Somewhere else" would have been better as re-offender was a dark song about spousal abuse, not something people want to turn their radio to.

I usually do not like Dougie's songs, as they lack the power and melody that accompany songs written by Fran. The only Dougie song I've ever really liked is "Just the Faces change". After listening to J. Smith and Something Anything, I'm having my worries. Neither song has the melody and hooks that some of Travis older songs. The two songs just do not compare to Driftwood, All I want to Do is Rock, Good Feeling, Side, Pipe Dreams, Selfish Jean, My Eyes, etc.

But we'll see.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:13 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
mmmmmmmmm......

What about "Colder"? Not counting the new album, I think that's Dougie's best work to date. I also love "Just The Faces Change"...beautiful song.

While I really like "Something Anything" a LOT and think it is totally rocking, my only problem with it is the fact that it's a bit too short. But I still think it's a very radio-friendly song and a good choice for the first single. I personally like "Song to Self" more though.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:31 PM Quote
I love it. I think I like it more than Song To Self which I also love. I cannot believe it has been described as bland. It's truly brilliant! This album could divide opinion but I think it'll bring a lot more back, than it loses. :)

And I don't understand this thing about Sing being a wrong first single. Got to 3! And Re-Offender got to 7! The last 3 albums first singles all charted well. Closer much higher than My Eyes and Selfish Jean. :)

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 11:07 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
What about "Colder"? Not counting the new album, I think that's Dougie's best work to date. I also love "Just The Faces Change"...beautiful song.

I'm not an enormous fan of Colder either, really. Trys hard to be really epic without much substance and slightly nonsensical lyrics. Colder's another slightly overused Dougie word - remember that being repeated on Ring Out the Bell!

RIGHT, THAT'S IT. NO MORE NEGATIVITY FROM THIS POINT!

Dougie can write a great song. I think The Distance is brilliant, Just the Faces Change is great and I like Ring Out The Bell, 'colder' or not! So far I've only heard Something Anything through a slightly muffled radio broadcast, when we get the proper single it might leap down the speakers at me and I'll love it.

The songs from Ode that have really grabbed me so far are probably Sarah and Song to Self, the two most 'traditional' melodic Travis The Man Who-style efforts (though I like J.Smith too) - maybe it just means I'm turning into a miserable old fart who can't handle a change in direction.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 11:13 PM Quote
You've yet to hear things like Chinese Blues, Long Way Down, Last Words, Quite Free, Before You Were Young. Don't worry. I think you'll enjoy the album. :)

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 1:53 AM Quote
its a good song to be a single, but I even think about it like first single!! I was thinking about song to self or before you were young, or get up... but...is there not several song actually?? or J Smith like a first single for Ode to J Smith?? lol

BenFilbert wrote:
You've yet to hear things like Chinese Blues, Long Way Down, Last Words, Quite Free, Before You Were Young. Don't worry. I think you'll enjoy the album. :)

yeah, I think the same, you'll enjoy it a lot. I guess its one of their best albums...

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 2:13 AM Quote
mecarr wrote:

Speaking of Dougie saying the words "nothing,anything,something" alot, remember he wrote the song "Know nothing". There have been two other times I felt Travis picked the wrong song for their first single. In the Invisible Band, they chose "Sing", when a song like "side" would have done better as it was more catchy. And in 12 memories they those "Re-Offender" as their first single, but I think "Somewhere else" would have been better as re-offender was a dark song about spousal abuse, not something people want to turn their radio to.

I usually do not like Dougie's songs, as they lack the power and melody that accompany songs written by Fran. The only Dougie song I've ever really liked is "Just the Faces change". After listening to J. Smith and Something Anything, I'm having my worries. Neither song has the melody and hooks that some of Travis older songs. The two songs just do not compare to Driftwood, All I want to Do is Rock, Good Feeling, Side, Pipe Dreams, Selfish Jean, My Eyes, etc.

But we'll see.

I don't agree at all with what you say about Sing. Maybe in other places it was different, but Sing opened the door for Travis in Latin America. Every single person I know knows the song, whether they like Travis or not.

I tend to agree with you Mikko, on what you say about Dougie's songs. But I think The Distance is one of the worse songs he's written. I much prefer The Score, Colder or I Forget My Name, Just The Faces Change...

Something Anything was written by Dougie? If it was, it's just beaten The Score as my favourite song by Dougie.

purplesky
purplesky Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 2:50 AM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
Nikki wrote:

I'm not an enormous fan of Colder either, really. Trys hard to be really epic without much substance and slightly nonsensical lyrics. Colder's another slightly overused Dougie word - remember that being repeated on Ring Out the Bell!

RIGHT, THAT'S IT. NO MORE NEGATIVITY FROM THIS POINT!

Dougie can write a great song. I think The Distance is brilliant, Just the Faces Change is great and I like Ring Out The Bell, 'colder' or not! So far I've only heard Something Anything through a slightly muffled radio broadcast, when we get the proper single it might leap down the speakers at me and I'll love it.

The songs from Ode that have really grabbed me so far are probably Sarah and Song to Self, the two most 'traditional' melodic Travis The Man Who-style efforts (though I like J.Smith too) - maybe it just means I'm turning into a miserable old fart who can't handle a change in direction.

Me too. Have been a big fan of Fran's poetic songs.. When it comes to the new album, I'm more of a fan of Sarah, Friends, & Song to self.. songs of traditional melodic Travis.. I personally hoped that Song to self would be the 1st single.. but.. Something anything is more exciting. better chance to attract people.. I think many audience would love it. Not to mention, Long way down, Chinese blues, J.smith, all brilliant & exciting songs.. We'll see.

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 5:10 AM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:

Something Anything was written by Dougie? If it was, it's just beaten The Score as my favourite song by Dougie.

It hasn't beaten The Score (number 1) in my favourites Dougie's song list, but is very close to do that xD.
Somenthing Anything suits perfectly as a singles, like I said before is very catchy, and if Travis want to attract more fans that is a very good song to do it, but if they don't it's a very good one to keep their fanbase hooked with their music.

Hope this post makes any sense xD.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:49 AM