Travis

Re: What are some of your favorite local bands?
Darran
Darran Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 2:29 PM Quote
My mates and drinking partners

The Front

Andrew
Andrew Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 2:42 PM Quote
1/3 of Suggestive Leg wrote:
Los Campesinos! www.myspace.com/loscampesinos

I don't want to like them because of what some of their members did to me and my friend before they formed this band, but they're really good. If a little immature as people.

Can you get me into gigs? Haha

perhaps through blackmail....

isma
isma Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 3:11 PM Quote
Love your thread !

Well here's my fav local bands :
Gomm
A rock band with a female vocalist . They're more or less popular
Probably my fav local band

and this one :
Bilbocks

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 3:22 PM Quote
Quote:
The Modern Lovers (before my time but well worthwhile)

Dodge Vedge-O-Matic! Hahaha. yeah.

Nobody's Chimed in bands from (er, with roots in, anyway) Cincinnati Yet? Okay:

Ass Ponys
Afghan Whigs
The National
Guided by Voices (Okay, they're from Dayton, OH)
Kenna

As for right now, I LOVE love love:
BAD VEINS
They don't have anything you can purchase yet but you can download the
Woxy Lounge Act if you want to give a listen.

lilly
lilly Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 6:59 PM Quote
er...
not my favourite band (I'm not really listening to German music at the moment), but surely the most famous band from Munich (and since the last World Cup maybe also elsewhere, haha):
Sportfreunde Stiller (they're also performing at the "your voice against poverty" event today in Rostock)

aaand other (more unknown) English-singing bands/songwriters from Munich/Bavaria are:
- Alev Lenz
- Monta
- Roman Fischer (he played every instrument on his first album himself, but sadly there are too many English mistakes in his lyrics... so embarrassing...)

and finally another German-singing band ;)
- Anajo

cosmicwonder
cosmicwonder Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 10:02 PM Quote
Anyone heard of:
I Mistook You For a Hero
Edgar Prais
:( (ColonOpenBracket)
Mr Missouri
Clearer The Sky
My Poetic Tragedy
They're all from the Aberdeen area

Also ... Ballboy
Aberfeldy
and Hell Johnny

bridget jones
bridget jones Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 11:49 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Haz mentioned Buffalo Tom to me the other week well impressed, The Lemonheads cover of Mrs Robinson is brilliant and I think I have Galaxie 500's On Fire and Uncollected somewhere must dig them out... and the Throwing Muses were a fantastic band !!!

Wow - I guess some of these bands weren't as best-kept-secret as I had thought! Yeah - you have to get some Buffalo Tom. They are definitely one band that was just shamefully overlooked. Let Me Come Over is my favorite album, but Sunday Night (off the album Sleepy Eyed) is my favorite track. You REALLY need to download it. Right now. :o)

If you like Galaxie 500, you should check out Luna. They were the follow-up band for the lead singer guy (don't remember his name). I liked Galaxie 500 better, but Luna acheived a bit bigger success and Harry likes Luna better.

bridget jones
bridget jones Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 11:55 PM Quote
DAKOTA wrote:
Quote:
The Modern Lovers (before my time but well worthwhile)

Dodge Vedge-O-Matic! Hahaha. yeah.

Nobody's Chimed in bands from (er, with roots in, anyway) Cincinnati Yet? Okay:

Ass Ponys
Afghan Whigs
The National
Guided by Voices (Okay, they're from Dayton, OH)
Kenna

As for right now, I LOVE love love:
BAD VEINS
They don't have anything you can purchase yet but you can download the
Woxy Lounge Act if you want to give a listen.

I always loved the Afghan Whigs. Are they still around? I've seen the lead singer turn up in a couple of movies. Guess he has a little side career for himself. And of course, Guided by Voices are awesome. They paid their dues in a major way, which I totally respect.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Fri 08 Jun, 2007 12:39 AM Quote
Quote:
I always loved the Afghan Whigs. Are they still around? I've seen the lead singer turn up in a couple of movies. Guess he has a little side career for himself. And of course, Guided by Voices are awesome. They paid their dues in a major way, which I totally respect.

Unfortunately the Afghan Whigs are no longer, buuut... Dulli (The singer) does have his Solo thing and the Twilight Singers, If you liked the Whigs you will like the Twilight Singers. John is in the Staggering Statistics, and Rick is in a band called Moon Maan. But they did just release two new songs for a "Career Retrospective" album called Unbreakable, which came out this Tuesday. :D

I sound like an ad again:
Drink Coca-Cola! Listen to woxy!

haha ;D

What are some of your favorite local bands?
oasistanbul
oasistanbul Posted Sat 23 Jun, 2007 2:38 PM Quote
Kazim Koyuncu yu bende severim.Ayrilik sarkisi cok guzeldir...Ayrica Ogun Sanlisoy da favorilerim arasinda buna bir de duman i eklemem gerek...

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 23 Jun, 2007 2:43 PM Quote
bridget jones wrote:

Wow - I guess some of these bands weren't as best-kept-secret as I had thought! Yeah - you have to get some Buffalo Tom. They are definitely one band that was just shamefully overlooked. Let Me Come Over is my favorite album, but Sunday Night (off the album Sleepy Eyed) is my favorite track. You REALLY need to download it. Right now. :o)

If you like Galaxie 500, you should check out Luna. They were the follow-up band for the lead singer guy (don't remember his name). I liked Galaxie 500 better, but Luna acheived a bit bigger success and Harry likes Luna better.

Buffalo Tom is touring this year , Luna have called it quits a few years ago too , now it's just Dean & Britta

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Sat 23 Jun, 2007 5:58 PM Quote
In Glasgow at the moment I'm really liking Team Salt (who I've probably mentioned before)and Black Tie Affair (www.myspace.com/blacktieaffair_music).Black Tie Affair are a bit different which I like about them.
Andrew luv Beerjacket.Saw him support Fionn Regan at King Tuts and bought the Cd.Also I quite liked the Apple Scruffs when I saw them at Future kings of Scotland acouple of months back.

Selfish-Matthew
Selfish-Matthew Posted Mon 25 Jun, 2007 12:07 PM Quote
Darran wrote:
My mates and drinking partners

The Front

I saw them at a gig once they're quite good.

I like the pennyblacks from Edinburgh www.myspace.com/pennyblacks

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] All Times BST Current Time 2:33 AM