Travis

Re: Name Problems
FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 9:38 PM Quote
My name is Edith, and it gets spelled Edit alot. Apparently I also answer to Elin and Eli.. My surname is also pretty unusual, and hard to get right without me spelling it out.. Soo tired of it :/

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sat 26 Jan, 2008 10:20 PM Quote
In my college there's someone with the same Surname as me, I used to get letters meant for her! The head of year still calls us by eachothers names, even tho we are in different years now coz she's repeating a year. And this head of year had to deal with me all year last year, so I don't understand how he actually can't remember whose name he should be using...

And this girl has been described as 'fugly', and I have not. So there is also a clear physical difference =P

Eledh
Eledh Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 2:04 AM Quote
FranFlower wrote:
My name is Edith, and it gets spelled Edit alot. Apparently I also answer to Elin and Eli.. My surname is also pretty unusual, and hard to get right without me spelling it out.. Soo tired of it :/

People, apparently, has problem with the H at the end of our names XD

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 2:12 AM Quote
I have a friend whose dad is from Belgium (she was actually born there). They named her Katelijne. In Dutch (they're from the part that speaks Dutch) it's pronounced kat-a-line-a (I know, not linguistically correct). Everyone here just says kat-a-line.

But people see that 'j' and have no idea what to do with her name. It's sort of funny, since it's not my name, to see people see it for the first time and try and figure out how to say it.

heysupernova
heysupernova Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 3:30 AM Quote
my only problem is when people call me Carla with a C, 'cause I'm actually Karla with a K =) i'm used to it though, i don't really care that much now :P

Eledh
Eledh Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 3:38 AM Quote
heysupernova wrote:
my only problem is when people call me Carla with a C, 'cause I'm actually Karla with a K =) i'm used to it though, i don't really care that much now :P

But... The sound is not the same? :P
I mean... Here in Italy there's no difference between Carla and Karla :P
How do you pronunce it?

heysupernova
heysupernova Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 5:18 AM Quote
Eledh wrote:
heysupernova wrote:

How do you pronunce it?

haha yes, there is no difference :), but when it comes to important things like papers from college, or legal things, i always need to say i'm karla with a k, just like my id says :P the sound is the same anyway haha :P

pd: i like your name a lot btw!

Eledh
Eledh Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 5:35 AM Quote
heysupernova wrote:
Eledh wrote:
heysupernova wrote:

How do you pronunce it?

haha yes, there is no difference :), but when it comes to important things like papers from college, or legal things, i always need to say i'm karla with a k, just like my id says :P the sound is the same anyway haha :P

Uh! :P That could be a problem, yeah.

*_* Thank you! I like your name too, it's weird with the K :P

heysupernova
heysupernova Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 5:59 AM Quote
Eledh wrote:
heysupernova wrote:
Eledh wrote:
heysupernova wrote:

How do you pronunce it?

Uh! :P That could be a problem, yeah.

*_* Thank you! I like your name too, it's weird with the K :P

it's weird but i like it, it comes from germany, from "carlota", actually the original carlota should be with a K (k is stronger than c), but germans didn't have that letter in their language before :) "karla" means warrior, i consider a bit of a warrior myself :)

what does eledh mean? :)

Eledh
Eledh Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 6:13 AM Quote
heysupernova wrote:

it's weird but i like it, it comes from germany, from "carlota", actually the original carlota should be with a K (k is stronger than c), but germans didn't have that letter in their language before :) "karla" means warrior, i consider a bit of a warrior myself :)

It's elvish, it means Star... :P
But I prefer the elvish version XD

heysupernova
heysupernova Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 6:15 AM Quote
Eledh wrote:
heysupernova wrote:

haha well, both are beautiful :)
but eledh sounds more interesting haha
though i know some people called star
('estrella' in spanish) quite common :P

Eledh
Eledh Posted Sun 27 Jan, 2008 6:19 AM Quote
heysupernova wrote:
Eledh wrote:
heysupernova wrote:

haha well, both are beautiful :)
but eledh sounds more interesting haha
though i know some people called star
('estrella' in spanish) quite common :P

In italian is "Stella" and there's a few people named like that, but I don't like the italian version, I prefer the english or elvish versions :P
(Just because "Stella" was my grandma dog's name XD)

But my parents are always for strange name :P
My brother's name is "Nizar Antares" :P
And the other brother's name is William but I call him Liam :P

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] All Times BST Current Time 9:48 PM