Travis

Re: I feel old
mili
mili Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:11 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

Also, how come kids these days all seem so cool? With their cool haircuts and cool clothes? When I was young I had a bowl cut, shit glasses and a vast array of reebok t-shirts. When did everything get so trendy?!

They've got more money these days.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:14 PM Quote
1. No book transporting device is cool. Cool is not bringing your books home. You bring books home, people might think you actually study or do your homework = nerd. IF you MUST bring a book home, you carry it by itself in one of two acceptable ways depending on gender: girls carry it like a baby, boys carry it under the arm resting in your hand (which is actually very difficult).

You get a backpack for college because you have to.

2. Why start those stupid lovers' games in high school? Ask directly or a note in the locker and be done with it. It sets up weird expectations.

3. I have no idea who 90% of the bands are that are talked about on this board and I don't have the inclination to learn. I admit defeat. I can't keep up. Thus...the oldies thread.

4. Atari has the only understandable control, the one-button joystick. That is all anyone should ever require.

5. Trendy, shmendy. I saw an ad "What's cool for back to school!" If they are TELLING you what's cool, doesn't it cease to be cool at that moment?

Now, where did I put that comb? Oh, here it is in the back pocket of my Jorache jeans. I need to feather my hair!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:17 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

3. I have no idea who 90% of the bands are that are talked about on this board and I don't have the inclination to learn. I admit defeat. I can't keep up. Thus...the oldies thread.

I never heard of girls aloud until visiting this messagae board .

Wooden Shjips, Kayte that'll be the next big thing

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:23 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Somehow I don't think so. That extra J holds them back from superstardom.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:27 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Somehow I don't think so. That extra J holds them back from superstardom.

their singles are being uber flipped on ebay . You're probaly upset they haven't played Detjroit yet .

I don't know any of these videos games mentioned in this thread

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:29 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
Kids are getting so young. It won't have hit you in the states yet, but in the UK we're now at the stage where kids born in the 90's are legally able to drink. People who weren't even born when the Gulf war kicked off can get a beer! Unbelievable.

Also, how come kids these days all seem so cool? With their cool haircuts and cool clothes? When I was young I had a bowl cut, shit glasses and a vast array of reebok t-shirts. When did everything get so trendy?!

That was just you :P

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:57 PM Quote
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2014/1925784959_10cfff2869.jpg?v=0

It's hard to describe how happy the sight of this made me. I distinctly remember getting an Atari. And don't get me started on the excitement level when Ms. Pac Man coming out!! My son was playing Ms. Pac Man at a restaurant and my brother (who was also there) and I were talking about how we both remember going to the store with our mom to get it and how we thought it was the most amazing thing.

Nikki, about the prom thing, I recently heard them talking about this on the radio. The thought some guys are putting into it is more thought than some guys put into a marriage proposal!! You can find tons of clips on youtube. It's all sorts of ridiculous to me.

And as others on here have said, the "I feel old/out of touch" thing only gets more pronounced as you age. : )

I don't feel old and I feel reasonably cool for my age and stage of life but check out this fun fact: Kids starting college right now were born in 1990. I was in high school then.

(and I know there are boardies older than me so I take comfort in that)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 2:58 PM Quote
didnt we all think what we wore in highschool was cool and trendy? (or atleast what the people around us wore) and then you look back and wonder how you ever thought that was cool. Even the people who looked like they just rolled out of bed and put on their track pants...that was cool. Maybe kids today (saying that makes me old) just put more effort in. I think they are just more aware of fashion and things. And I agree, they have more money

But as for the cool kids dont study, or bring their books home thing. I think except for the very minor exception, all the cool kids in my school were also smart. Being dumb wasnt seen as being cool.

Kids born in the 90s are still a few months away from being legal drinking age here (it is 19 in Ontario) but they are in University, and that is scary!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:21 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

This made me LOL picturing little Moray. :D
You're so right though!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:24 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Now, where did I put that comb? Oh, here it is in the back pocket of my Jorache jeans. I need to feather my hair!

LMAO! Kayte, you rule.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:41 PM Quote
Prom proposals

Long but you can skip through and still get the idea

Cute but still...

It's cute but seriously is this necessary??

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:46 PM Quote
I just added the Old School retro Games on Facebook because I saw you could play Pac Man and Donkey Kong. Well now I am looking at the whole list and Mario Bros is on there!!!

I must be in some sort of denial because to me while it's definitely old I don't think of it as retro...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 3:58 PM Quote
Ah, but do you remember the winning pattern for Mac Man? After you reached a certain level in Pac Mac for Atari, you could keep on playing for eons by repeating a certain pattern.

Start by going left, then up, then right over the top of the box, then up to the right corner getting all the corner dots, then down....

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 4:06 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Ah, but do you remember the winning pattern for Mac Man? After you reached a certain level in Pac Mac for Atari, you could keep on playing for eons by repeating a certain pattern.

Start by going left, then up, then right over the top of the box, then up to the right corner getting all the corner dots, then down....

you are a pro!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 27 Aug, 2008 4:10 PM Quote
dear nikki , wait until someone calls you "mam " then yer olde

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:02 PM