Travis

Re: Energy Conservation ideas! (Carbon Emission Offsetting)
Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 3:39 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
No probably not for an American car. But considering what most cars are capable of , its poor.

Of the gas-powered vehicles available in my price range in this country it's good.

auronsquall
auronsquall Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 5:35 PM Quote
You know, some people seriously need to just think outside the box, why the hell would people that reduce their use of resources automatically be tree-huggers? seriously? then i guess i must go and make out with a tree

second of all, both major and minor corporations have been taking caution in the past years to reduce the amount of carbon they emit, just because they're rich doesn't mean they're oblivious assholes.

Alright, anyway enough of that hate bullshit, if you don't care about it then you can start your own forum. It really is about making big changes from small changes, you don't need to be a millionaire to understand that.

as for tips today, i've been out and watching the opening for the olympics, keep up the good talk, cheerio =]

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 08 Aug, 2008 5:38 PM Quote
auronsquall wrote:
You know, some people seriously need to just think outside the box, why the hell would people that reduce their use of resources automatically be tree-huggers? seriously? then i guess i must go and make out with a tree

LOL! Me too, I guess. *puckers up*

spid
spid Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 1:54 PM Quote
la femme qui wrote:
I've noticed that while I live in India I use a lot less electricity than I do while I'm not, the prime reason being that we pay for electricity here :|

DOn't you pay for electricity anywhere else then? I certainly do and it has just risen by 35% which is a great amount on a family bill.

We do our bit - despite all the different arguements - is global warming real? - well yes it is. it really is happening but we are coming out of an ice age. Millions of years ago dinosaurs basked on sandy tropical beaches at the arctic and probably this will happen again. (Okay probably not dinosaurs but something will) Does human activity affect the rate of change - I'm not sure but probably and as I actually wish to see my children grow and have grandchildren and see them grow to have great grand children I try my best.
I have a vague half belief in the Gaia principle having read the book of that name when i was 16. What I don't believe is that the earth will sort itself out AND humans will continue to be the dominant species. Eventually the Earth will sort itself out but as mass extinctions are part of it's continuous history I fully expect humans to be part of that extinction history.

I recycle everything that I can - if I don't the council won't take away all my rubbish (if the lid on the black bin won't close they won't empty it). But I beleive in recycling anyway - why waste it? This society is far too much of a throwaway attitude instead of a make do and mend. I like my energy efficient lightbulbs - I got the first one over 10 years ago and have only recently had to replace the first. And the new one cost me 99p for a pack of 2. 2 'normal' lightbulbs cost about that and last 1/15th of the time. If you wait a couple of mins the energy bulbs glow just as bright as the others (learn to be a little patient LG).

As for hugging trees - a bit prickly but great fun! I'm not a hippie - i do recycle, support greenpeace, have energy efficient lightbulbs, worry about the state of the world, buy my electricity form a green supplier if I can, like the look of wind farms etc - but I buy CD's, enjoy technology, drool over Ducati's, fly to holidays (with carbon offsetting paid for), and enjoy photography. We drive to places as 5 on a bus is more expensive, etc.

In conclusion, I think it is perfectly reasonable for everyone to try to do their bit and feel good about themselves. If you don't want to 'help' don't complain if it all goes pearshaped. If you feel one individual can't make a difference look back in history at the Emily Panchurst and Ghandi's of this world. Oh, and buy a rubbish tip - so that when all the resources run out you have the only supply of resouces and can become a millionaire! That's if you haven't contracted polio from all the disposable babies nappies or been overcome by methane fumes first!

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 3:44 PM Quote
spid wrote:
DOn't you pay for electricity anywhere else then? I certainly do and it has just risen by 35% which is a great amount on a family bill.

The only other place where I live is Kuwait, and electricity is free there...

Kristy
Kristy Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 3:47 PM Quote
auronsquall wrote:

as for tips today, i've been out and watching the opening for the olympics, keep up the good talk, cheerio =]

Just imagine all that pollution being generated by the Olympics in a country which is already a big offender when it comes to C02 emissions etc ..

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 4:05 PM Quote
dee wrote:
2.7% of all so called "global warming" is caused by girls straightening their hair.

http://forums.explosm.net/images/smilies/facts3.gif

PMSL! Phew, glad I ain't one of the many who use them, hey I'm helpingthe world out by having short hair!

Also, not using central heating.....then there's no oil lost....ok maybe it's just as I can't afford any oil at the minute! haaaaaaa but yeah.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 4:08 PM Quote
la femme qui wrote:
spid wrote:

The only other place where I live is Kuwait, and electricity is free there...

What??? So there ARE advantages off living there! Free Lecky! How fab is that....considering my house eats the stuff! I'm blaming the other halfs PS3....it uses to much lecky! grrr

auronsquall
auronsquall Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 5:31 PM Quote
Kristy wrote:
auronsquall wrote:

Just imagine all that pollution being generated by the Olympics in a country which is already a big offender when it comes to C02 emissions etc ..

yeah i noticed that a lot, there were 33,000 sets of fireworks set off that night from what i heard....i don't know, i liked it but it is just a mass grand gesture to start the ceremonies. I have a feeling that the traveling from not only the athletes but the volunteers, food supplies, all contribute a whole lot more to how much carbon it emits, i'll have to do more research to see if they've done anything to avoid mass emissions

la femme qui
la femme qui Posted Sat 09 Aug, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
What??? So there ARE advantages off living there! Free Lecky! How fab is that....considering my house eats the stuff! I'm blaming the other halfs PS3....it uses to much lecky! grrr

Yep, and telephone calls within the country are free too :) It's a wonderful place to live, seriously...

I don't iron my clothes to save electricity. I just buy clothes that are one size smaller and when I put them on, the wrinkles disappear :D

auronsquall
auronsquall Posted Mon 11 Aug, 2008 6:25 AM Quote
la femme qui wrote:
I don't iron my clothes to save electricity. I just buy clothes that are one size smaller and when I put them on, the wrinkles disappear :D

thats a funny fact i've never heard of haha, but i guess its because it gets too cold here, no one really wears anything thats tight in the winter time =P

I did some research on the beijing olympics website and they have taken multiple measures to cut down their carbon emissions, if anyone wants the link, just search carbon emission on the site, i'm not going to put up all those articles up because its going to be too tedious and i'm not even writing a report on this lol

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] All Times BST Current Time 1:59 AM