Travis

Re: Something anything: I have some doubt......
bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 11:25 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
I don't know if Ode will be better or worse than Good Feeling, but they're definitely better musicians now.
They've got years of experience on their backs and it shows.

Yes, I agree. They have evolved into great musicians, I think that the music they're creating now is better, well no, it's different since had passed 12 years. I mean, they have a lot more experience now than in 1996, all the shows, all the "recording time" have made of them better artists. So you can't compare Good Feeling with Ode to J Smith cause they were written and recorded in two different times, and in their own way both albums are very good (well I have to wait to listen to complete Ode). Because it's nice to hear their first album, guys with not a lot of experience but making very good music, and now hear the same guys all grown-up and mature in the musically and lyrically way. At least for me is great to see how a band (or an artist) change so much throughout the years :o).

Edit: Oh yes, I forgot it, I think Something Anything works perfectly as a single ;o).

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Wed 06 Aug, 2008 11:27 PM Quote
Something Anything is the perfect single. I hope people sit up and pay attention to this rocking and amazing track! :-)

Stepiper
Stepiper Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 2:38 AM Quote
I think we can't compare GF and Ode because they're just different. We're comparing Ode to GF just because the band got back to a rockiest sound. But this is the only link to the past. The sound is definitely different. The songs now seem to be very short (think about Something Anything or J Smith). The sonwriting is now mature. I think now they can play whatever they want and after a great record as like TBWNN they chose to walk a rockiest way.
But the love for the melody is always strong so I can recognize my fave band in every new track I've been listening so far.

Something Anything is the right single to start again, even more than Song To Self. Maybe a song like Friends would have been in a perfect connection with the last album.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 3:23 AM Quote
Can anyone put the lyrics, i'm pretty bad at english, but i made an effort to understand a few thing, hope anyone to complete and corret:

Something Anything

Like a melody that is impossible to play away
In my memory there's a part of you that's gone away
To keep my mind from wondering ???
I'm wondering
to keep myself on falling
I'm following
Something Anything just to keep on living
Just to keep on breathing for a moment longer
I'd tell you anything if i had anything to say eh
i keep a battle in?? 'cause there's a time and there's a place for this
i keep my story where it is
??????????
??????????
when all i need is

Shit, i try my best to do it, but some part i couldn't :) hope someone to complete it and correct it :)

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 8:46 AM Quote
Stepiper wrote:
I think we can't compare GF and Ode because they're just different. We're comparing Ode to GF just because the band got back to a rockiest sound. But this is the only link to the past. The sound is definitely different. The songs now seem to be very short (think about Something Anything or J Smith). The sonwriting is now mature. I think now they can play whatever they want and after a great record as like TBWNN they chose to walk a rockiest way.
But the love for the melody is always strong so I can recognize my fave band in every new track I've been listening so far.

Something Anything is the right single to start again, even more than Song To Self. Maybe a song like Friends would have been in a perfect connection with the last album.

I get the impression that Friends is one of the weaker songs on the new album - I'm relieved they didn't choose this one.

dyeworld
dyeworld Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 10:18 AM Quote
Too Rock?

Isn't TRAVIS a rock band?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 12:28 PM Quote
deebee wrote:
Stepiper wrote:

I get the impression that Friends is one of the weaker songs on the new album - I'm relieved they didn't choose this one.

Yeah. I'm with ya, Deebee. Although I really like "Friends", there are much stronger songs on the album (from what I've heard so far) that would make better singles.

auronsquall
auronsquall Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 12:45 PM Quote
dyeworld wrote:
Too Rock?

hmm...i wouldn't know =P

its not like they're doing metal, that would totally crossing a line for me, but it would be fun to watch the band have ridiculous long hair and rave it lol.

mecarr
mecarr Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 2:25 PM Quote
One issue I have with both J. Smith & Something Anything is the length. They both clock in between 2 minutes and 2 minutes and 30 seconds...I wish they were a bit longer..

I do like Something Anything, but it hasn't given me the feeling like Driftwood gave me, or Side.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 2:33 PM Quote
Most of the songs are short. Long Way Down is about 2:30. Broken Mirror is about 3:00. None of them, unless they've changed them in the studio, are over 4 minutes long. Most are about or below 3 minutes. :)

purplesky
purplesky Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 4:44 PM Quote
auronsquall wrote:
dyeworld wrote:
Too Rock?

hmm...i wouldn't know =P

its not like they're doing metal, that would totally crossing a line for me, but it would be fun to watch the band have ridiculous long hair and rave it lol.

Yea. I've loved Travis for their beautiful and sound melody, and sentimental lyrics, kind of quality that other rock bands never had. (I haven't found any other bands who give me the same level of comfort and satisfaction like Travis' songs give. ) In that way, I was so satisfied with TBWNN for Travis' getting back to the style of TMW & TIB.

But people seem to want heavier and sensational music these days... There were quite a lot of people mentioning Travis' songs are too calm.(For me, their songs were perfect just the way they were.) So.. I think Ode is a nice and fresh change to bring back many rock fans who are keen on rockier stuff, definitely making Travis not only "our Travis" but also "many people's Travis".

If Travis is doing heavy metal stuff, oh...I can't imagine. I wouldn't want that.. but the level that Ode has is very exciting and fresh. The new songs are brilliant and catchy at the same time. Also it has the classic, like "Friends".."Song to self".. so I'm quite sure that the new "Travis" will give me a different kind of joy and excitement. :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 4:59 PM Quote
I love softer Travis and this Travis. Can't say which I love more because they're great in their own way. Both sides represent what the band is. Right now, I'm more into the "rockier stuff" (Good Feeling, 12 Memories), and I'm looooooooooving what I've heard from Ode.
I think they're still our Travis with this record :o)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:08 PM Quote
I love all sorts of music. My fave Travis songs are things like Sing and Writing To Reach You. Closer is also up there. But Travis can truly rock and I think it's about time we had some new rockers. Ode isn't all like Something Anything. Last Words is more classic Travis. Very lovely. Could be a bit of a favourite I think. :)

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
81 wrote:
I don't think that it is the correct song as single: it is too rock!!!
I mostly prefer the pop or pop/rock Travis, with sweeter sounds.

And another thing..... In the past, Travis music has been criticised by the media for being whiny. There is no way with these edgier songs that anyone could justfiably accuse them of that.

Not that I pay great attention to critics, but I bet they're frantically rewriting those reviews, as we speak! :)

I'm looking forward to reports of the reinvention of Travis. The launch of the brash, confident, loud, rock-out Travis. Yay!!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 07 Aug, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I love all sorts of music. My fave Travis songs are things like Sing and Writing To Reach You. Closer is also up there. But Travis can truly rock and I think it's about time we had some new rockers. Ode isn't all like Something Anything. Last Words is more classic Travis. Very lovely. Could be a bit of a favourite I think. :)

I heard a low quality yotube version of it yesterday and I think you might be right. "Last Words" is so cool! Can't wait to hear it on the album.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:50 AM