Travis

Re: Scottish Devolution...
DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Wed 06 Jun, 2007 9:17 PM Quote
Its interesting how in general, most the scots are fairly happy with the idea of independance (which we've achieved many times before, and are the REASON that we are United (King James VI)), and rather than, as I expected, English people would be impartial or indifferent, they actually seem quite annoyed at the idea...

kiwi
kiwi Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 1:22 PM Quote
Andrew wrote:
kiwi wrote:
scottish people tend to be the most grumpy bastards in australia...dunno why!

Because they're not in Scotland? ;)

lol don't think that's it...

Ursina
Ursina Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 2:10 PM Quote
ermm gonna add my mustard as they say in German

I used to be a strong defender of independence but now that we got devolution i'm not sure. I would certainly like to see much greater devolution and would accept independence quite happily if it comes to it.
One good thing ... we couldn't blame England anymore for everything ... we would have to take things in our own hands :)

sina:)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 2:23 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
ermm gonna add my mustard as they say in German

I used to be a strong defender of independence but now that we got devolution i'm not sure. I would certainly like to see much greater devolution and would accept independence quite happily if it comes to it.
One good thing ... we couldn't blame England anymore for everything ... we would have to take things in our own hands :)

sina:)

Well said :)

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 2:45 PM Quote
DavesUrMan wrote:
Its interesting how in general, most the scots are fairly happy with the idea of independance (which we've achieved many times before, and are the REASON that we are United (King James VI)), and rather than, as I expected, English people would be impartial or indifferent, they actually seem quite annoyed at the idea...

That's because we DO feel a sense of closeness, of strength in unity and of mutual respect.
I see a Scotsman, Welshman or Irishman as my equal. In fact, the Irish are probably better than the rest of us, as they're still polite and welcoming, whereas we're gradually going sour.

Yes, I may use words like "Scotty", but that's like calling someone Dan instead of Daniel, nothing derogatory about it.

It would do the rest of the Union dammage if one member left; both economically and morally. Sharing common values, whilst having several differenes, teaches us tolerance, respect and team work.

I'd be sad to see them go.

P.S. Scotland also has some great bands. ;)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 2:50 PM Quote
Although not without its disadvantages, economically or otherwise, Scotland doesn't stand to lose particularly much by splitting off, though it does stand to gain quite a lot, socially and otherwise - certainly economically. I think itll be a meloncholy affair, and will certainly involve a fair degree of nostaliga though

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 2:53 PM Quote
At the moment, we're good economical partners. If you had to sell products you made in Scotland to people in Wales, you'd have to pay import tax. Fancy the State getting more of your cash?

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 3:22 PM Quote
I think for the couple of countries, compared to the bigger picture it doesn't really matter THAT much - as I say, not without its disadvantages, but overall we'll be far more economically sound selling our energy further south - at higher prices :)

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 3:59 PM Quote
Selling oil? to who exactly? and at what price ? given that we are in no position to control the price of "our" oil.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 4:02 PM Quote
I didn't say Oil...I said energy. WE use our natural energy (mainly hydro, with some wind) and supply almost 100% of scotland, a fair amount of England with it. On top of this we are soon to have a power station or two more almost exclusively for the use of England. When we become independant, we will be selling that energy - and looking at estimates from SNP its going to a VERY large boost to our economy. Scotland barely has oil at all to itself, but it has some - thats thanks to the splitting up of the north sea between europe and the 'uk'

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 4:05 PM Quote
We are not a big enough player in any of these markets that would allow us to rely on it as a source of income to support ourselves.

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 4:08 PM Quote
Thats one of the many main reasons why English parliament and government isn't happy about us being independant - its not like we're selling it all over the place, they just know that we will charge if they want us to keep supplying them, and they don't have the resources to re-network everything for those who are dependant on us.
Why do you think that the ads for Scottish Hydro, Scottish Gas and Scottish power are always advertised in England as well? Not like we get ads for English Gas

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 4:09 PM Quote
They could get their gas from mainland Europe, in fact they do this at the moment.

Joe
Joe Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 4:28 PM Quote
Russia has plenty.
Oman as well (not cheap, but reliable-enough source).

We can add more Nuclear stations, as they're now a lot more secure and a lot cleaner.

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 4:50 PM Quote
We're already exporting power to Englandshire at a price, owing to our windy highlands and it can only get better. We're also selling across to Northern Ireland across a fantastic DC link over the Irish Sea.

As for the oil, we may not have control of the Oil per say. What we do have is hundreds of jobs round Aberdeen, leading to quite the bustling economy up here and everything associated with it. Tourism for Edinburgh and..... Glasgow.

Plus we're nowhere near as densely overpopulated as Engurland, which is more of an aside than anything

If we could work out a way to sell them water, we'd be laughing.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:39 AM