Travis

Re: What will be the next single?
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 2:48 PM Quote
Okey top 20 ;) Maybe I was exaggerating a bit!

I have no clue about what they could do to become more well-known. Maybe they've had their peak? And hasn't Fran said something like: "We don't want to be as big as Coldplay"?
Well I only care about the music, so if the continue to make good music, can live on it and continue to enjoy touring, then I'm satisfied.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 2:51 PM Quote
Wolfy wrote:
What about a concert with free entrance to everyone that is named J.Smith???
This will probably get some attention from the medias...

Could we do it for people with the initials "J.S."? That way I could get in :oP

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 4:25 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Okey top 20 ;) Maybe I was exaggerating a bit!

I have no clue about what they could do to become more well-known. Maybe they've had their peak? And hasn't Fran said something like: "We don't want to be as big as Coldplay"?
Well I only care about the music, so if the continue to make good music, can live on it and continue to enjoy touring, then I'm satisfied.

They've had their peak, sure. I'm not saying they will ever be as big as Coldplay again and I'm not saying they or I would want them to be. But Ode has sold about 60 times less than The Man Who. 3,000,000 UK sales against 50,000 UK sales.

I'm just saying people in certain countries might be disappointed if things don't improve. I don't know. I don't know how much money the band have etc, but Ode hasn't done much.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 4:51 PM Quote
Chinese blues / Quite Free

Perhaps, Sailing away is amazing XDDDD

Nell
Nell Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 5:09 PM Quote
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Wolfy wrote:

Hahaha....that would be against the law - ;) discrimination onf the grounds of names (funny ..;) never had that before :) )

But there certainly should be more media....

mili
mili Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 5:20 PM Quote
Nell wrote:
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window wrote:
Wolfy wrote:

Hahaha....that would be against the law - ;) discrimination onf the grounds of names (funny ..;) never had that before :) )

But there certainly should be more media....

There's an electronics' shop chain here in Finland called "Veikon kone" (Veikko's machine). They had a campaign on Veikko's name day when all Veikkos had a good reduction. I don't know if there were any discriminaion charges, haven't heard of them.

Wolfy
Wolfy Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 5:40 PM Quote
I just dropped a crazy idea, there are many ways to get attention, like on S2S, Fran could sing along into an ice cube or so....
Or another "Why does it always rain on me?" miracle...
Travis have the music to get promoted, but they dont have the facts....

SamHolden
SamHolden Posted Mon 12 Jan, 2009 7:27 PM Quote
I think a band with two number 1 albums, and five in total top 5 albums, can afford to make a loss on this album.
I think they would benefit froam a major record label, to fund publicity and run a TV ad for example, but Travis have definitely reached their commercial peak, I think 12 memories turned people away, and the 2 year absence can't have helped.

as long as they're making great music I don't give a shit if the guy across the road knows Travis have a new record out.

chinese blues or quite free for next single btw. and i think travis should still do singles, if they didn't then threads like this wouldn't exist and all we'd be doing is wishing they'd release singles again!

Bellringer
Bellringer Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 1:04 AM Quote
It's just very disappointing in Australia where they really are the Why Does It Always Rain On Me? band, they are essentially one-hit-wonders down here, (1 and a half if you include Sing.)

And you've got an unfortunate situation in Australia where Travis' are not fashionable (Kings of Leon) or "hot" (Jason Mraz/Snow Patrol) or controversial (Pink) enough to receieve commercial radio play, yet not left-field (Radiohead) or alternative (Bloc Party) or "indie-acting'" (Kooks) enough to recieve play on the elitist "alterantive" stations, who are constantly fellating Arctic Monkeys, White Stripes and the very lightweight Powderfinger.....

Travis (and you could throw Ash and Keane into the same category) are stuck in the middle....with no hope of penetrating the Aussie market at all. Indeed, their only hope in Oz, in all honesty, is if they pull a Snow Patrol or Mraz and get their music played in promos for new, top rating TV shows......that's where Travis' only serious opportunity is...

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 7:16 PM Quote
For me the one and only good thing about releasing a single now is if it gives the fans a good b-side. For example Song to Self might have been a commercial waste of time but I'll forever be grateful for it because it gave us The Ballad of J.Smith.

Was going to say it feels like going through the motions now Travis releasing sinfles, but for me it's worse than that. It's embarassing and sad to see a single that's musically on a par with some of their best charting songs (StS, Selfish Jean especially), limping in at #684. Behind a remix of The Teletubbies Say Eh-Oh.

It makes me frustrated with the public for not caring/not realising they're still a top band, but that's actually really unfair because if there's no promotion, how is anybody going to find out. Zero airplay. Zero advertising. Zero chance. Have seen the same thing happen with loads of my favourite bands over the years, it happened to Ash. It happened to Ocean Colour Scene. It happened to Teenage Fanclub. But I never, NEVER thought it would happen to Travis. They were too popular, too radio-tastic.

Now it has, and I guess the fans are left to kinda work out how/if they can pick up the pieces.

A really heavily promoted, heavily played, well advertised and strong song, sure it could still get into the charts. But it seems a bit like dreamland to me at the moment, that promotion just aint happening.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 8:22 PM Quote
I agree Mike. It is quite sad. I DO want Travis to release singles but with more promotion. I know it doesn't matter really but Travis songs charted higher and higher on each release from about Happy to Sing. And we've had Re-Offender and Closer good hits since as well as Walking In The Sun, Side and Flowers In The Window. All big songs and it would be nice to have more future hits but at the moment I don't quite see the point of releasing a single this way. Video? Doesn't need to be a single, 3 Times And You Lose for example. B-sides? Doesn't need a single, as both Oasis and Radiohead released a sort of bonus CD of songs. And of course Coldplay's recent b-sides ended up being the EP they released in November.

I think the next single will be a new song. Interesting to see how it does. Even Selfish Jean did ok charting at 30. :) But they're still making the best music around, and that's the main thing. :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:07 PM Quote
There's definitely a catch-22 here (vast oversimplification alert!):
*If they don't join a record label they make better music but it's not promoted and so charts somewhere between awfully and woefully.
*If they join a major record label, there's pressure on them to perform, they're not happy, they make worse music BUT the singles and albums chart and sell better.
I'd prefer the first option and that seems to be the way the band have chosen too.

Ben, about money, touring is the only way bands can make money now, even Leona Lewis' single Run made a loss apparently (admittedly there was a LOT of TV advertising to drain funds) so singles are basically promotions for albums and mainly tours. I'd imagine that Travis can make a bit on the European tours of a few shows but I doubt whether the two Japanese or South American dates are profitable. So long as they're not losing money quickly, I can't imagine they're too bothered, but it can't go on like that forever. :S

So, new single? I can't see why there would be really. They need a quirky idea or five to make people talk about them, if you let the music do the talking it's no good if noone's listening.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Tue 13 Jan, 2009 10:19 PM Quote
Yeah. You're right James. Singles are an advert in my opinion. An advert for an album. People then buy the album and see the band on tour... Compare audiences from '00-'02 to audiences in 2008. Bit of a difference. Maybe I'm wrong but I think for Travis to continue to be the band we love they might need to promote themselves more. I mean in terms of being the same band not that we'd stop loving them. :) There's no real point in playing in places where you're not popular, unless you're trying to promote or become popular. Ode lasted 3 weeks in the UK top 100...

Maybe it isn't important but American fans are already getting frustrated over a lack of concerts. Rightly so, of course. :)

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Thu 15 Jan, 2009 2:14 AM Quote
frandougeil wrote:
leticia wrote:
rebekah wrote:
Oooo hope it's last words.

Me too! Or Long Way Down :)

Me three!First vote would be for Last Words=))
If its neither of them it has got to be Before You Were Young
or magically Ballad of J.Smith somehow=)
Would be great!The words and the song is simply gorgeous!

Yup! Last Words or Long Way Down would be great singles! :o)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Fri 16 Jan, 2009 7:26 AM Quote
Frans writing skills and melodic magnetism are often used commercially , which is an advantage on other Bands.

Whether its wrong roads, timing, changing cultures , their music is sound.

Whatever the Band genuinly feel , both financially and professionally counts the most.

As ideas go ,something different and/or new marketing approach could swing the poularity for their music , what that is I don't know but regular tv or radio would be a good medium. Maybe they could host a launch pad for new Bands as this is also their forte and they are BRILLIANT entertainers on chat .

They are also very resilient.

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:10 PM