Travis

Re: Stupid Boardie Question Amnesty Thread
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:24 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Very Basically...

Ireland was once colonized by the British and became part of the Empire. There was an uprising and a fight for Irish Independence. Eventually the British government gave 26 of the 32 Counties back to the Irish, keeping 6 in the north(Ulster). The 26 became the Republican Free State of Ireland and the 6 in the north(Ulster) remained part of the United Kingdom (of Great Britian and Northern Ireland).

There are 3 different schools of thought regarding the north...
1. Some people wish to reamin British (Unionists)
2. Some people wish the remaining counties be returned to the Republic (Republicans)
3. Some people don't care either way or see the North as it's own place belonging to neither.

That is a very simplistic view but I hope it helps.

Dubz

That helps very much. When did all this happen, approximately?

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:29 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Very Basically...

Ireland was once colonized by the British and became part of the Empire. There was an uprising and a fight for Irish Independence. Eventually the British government gave 26 of the 32 Counties back to the Irish, keeping 6 in the north(Ulster). The 26 became the Republican Free State of Ireland and the 6 in the north(Ulster) remained part of the United Kingdom (of Great Britian and Northern Ireland).

2. Some people wish the remaining counties be returned to the Republic (Republicans)
3. Some people don't care either way or see the North as it's own place belonging to neither.

Dubz

ahhh, high school history all over again!!!

although i have a feeling it would have been way more interesting if Dubz was teaching it.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:31 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Very Basically...

Dubz

That helps very much. When did all this happen, approximately?

Oliver Cromwell annexed Ireland around 1650 and it was held by the Brits up until the Easter Rising in 1916.

There was trouble (bombings, executions, riots, etc.) in the North mainly in 60s-90s between Unionists (UDA,UVF) and the British Armed Forces on one side and the Republicans (IRA, etc) on the other.

Again that is a very simple view. I have been looking for a good book on the subject for a while but I can't seem to find one that is objective from a neutral point of view.

Dubz

*edit* btw Darran, Peewee, fenchurch, Paul C, et al would probably be a lot more qualified to talk about this.

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:36 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Again that is a very simple view. I have been looking for a good book on the subject for a while but I can't seem to find one that is objective fro a neutral point of view.

Dubz
Dubz

I know what you mean, my history book is quite biased, it's very much from the Nationalist point of view. It's all still too recent.

Meridith
Meridith Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:41 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Due to the map shortage, I thought Ireland was just Ireland. I didn't there was a division.

hahahahahahaha Kayte you crack me up!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:45 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Again that is a very simple view.

That's fine. I have a very simple mind. TenQ.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:48 PM Quote
Anne, I bet you didnt forsee the history of Northern Ireland as the direction the thread would go in!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 2:13 AM Quote
Anne, you were talking on the phone with Nikki about my sister? Lol xD.

Like Ro said, her name is Alejandra, but everyone calls her Ale :o)

I'll try to think some stupid boardie questions... I must have many of those...

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 3:27 AM Quote
No I didn't see this thread turning into an Irish history lesson but I am enjoying it very much.

Juli, we weren't talking about your sister per se but I recently was realizing I didn't know her name so I thought I would ask Nikki because I assumed she knew. I thought it was funny that she didn't know either.

So Ale works for her real and user name!

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 3:48 AM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
No I didn't see this thread turning into an Irish history lesson but I am enjoying it very much.

Juli, we weren't talking about your sister per se but I recently was realizing I didn't know her name so I thought I would ask Nikki because I assumed she knew. I thought it was funny that she didn't know either.

So Ale works for her real and user name!

Yes. A friend of ours with a lot of imagination started calling her Aletways or Alet, just as a derivation from her name, so that's why she used it as a username :oP

Edit: I forgot to say something. Anne, you shouldn't feel like a dork for not knowing that!

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 4:42 AM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Ric's not a Ric??? No man can be trusted, really.

a bit harsh megg

Moray
Moray Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 8:33 AM Quote
If you're bored at the weekend, rent out the film 'Michael Collins' starring Liam Neeson. It goes over the basics quite well, albeit from a bit of a Southern Ireland bias.

The whole Northern / Southern Ireland divide is caught up a lot in the Glasgow Rangers / Celtic divide as well. Rangers = Northern Ireland / 'British' and Celtic = Southern Ireland

Hanne
Hanne Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 9:13 AM Quote
Just to continue the Northern Ireland topic...

Leon Uris wrote a book called Trinity, which is quite good. It's been some years since I read it, but as far as I remember, it's about the conflict from three different points of view; and catholic farm boy, a protestant family in Belfast and a protestant land owner.

What's interesting is that you can sympathise with most of their actions and thoughts. If I read it again I might think of it as more biased, but I remember it as being relatively unbiased.

kiwi
kiwi Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 8:21 PM Quote
Moray wrote:
If you're bored at the weekend, rent out the film 'Michael Collins' starring Liam Neeson. It goes over the basics quite well, albeit from a bit of a Southern Ireland bias.

The whole Northern / Southern Ireland divide is caught up a lot in the Glasgow Rangers / Celtic divide as well. Rangers = Northern Ireland / 'British' and Celtic = Southern Ireland

Or 'The Wind That Shakes The Barley' probably biased too, kind of more about the people, and divisions within families etc...

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 15 Oct, 2008 8:29 PM Quote
Moray wrote:

Boardie field trip?

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:20 AM