Travis

Re: Macca and Starbucks
alramon13
alramon13 Posted Wed 06 Jun, 2007 11:54 PM Quote
In a recent interview with the U.K. edition of the Big Issue (magazine for the homeless), McCartney said "You know, there were only four people in The Beatles, and I was one of them. That means that only three people in the universe experienced that, which is pretty amazing. Even Bob Dylan can't say that, Robert De Niro can't say that; it doesn't matter how great they are... they weren't in the Beatles."

The cocky Beatle might not have been so cocky a few years ago, when he released his rather dull 'Chaos and Creation in the Backyard', but given the praise he received for his classical album 'Ecce Cor Meum' and his latest album, 'Memory Almost Gone', actually being the kind of record you would expect from someone once heralded as a genius, we'll let him slide this time.

But for the record, Paul McCartney can never say he wrote 'Hurricane' or 'Knocking On Heavens Door' either… or act.

Yes, he was a Beatle and is no more because didn't the Beatles break up? Paul still gets my emotions going when i see him live, he was my favorite Beatle at the beginning and then the tables turned as i got older, but Paul's ability to write great pop music has diminished and it is a known fact that when you pass the age of 50, you are pretty much gonna ride on those hits that you created at a younger age. I bet you can't name more than a handful of artists that can actually write past the age of 45...and i'm talking consistently. Tom Petty is still really exceptional, in my opinion. A favorite of mine, Cheap Trick is hit or miss, Neil Young is now hit or miss, Tom Waits, definitely the Stones, The Who. So my opinion is of this, you better have a huge back catalog going by the time you are 50 or you'll have nothing left. And Paul, well he's had years and years of the good stuff. But for now, his last album...definitely a HIT OR MISS! As for Starbucks music...i saw that coming. But hey, at least there's a Starbucks at every corner. That's good marketing in my opinion both for the artist and the company.

harry potter
harry potter Posted Thu 07 Jun, 2007 12:30 AM Quote
alramon13 wrote:
In a recent interview with the U.K. edition of the Big Issue (magazine for the homeless), McCartney said "You know, there were only four people in The Beatles, and I was one of them...

oh dear. in reading your very informative response and coupling that with Dubz posting earlier today my opinion of macca is getting rather conflicted. granted you can't base an opinion on stuff that could have been taken out of context from a larger interview and all that but what i like about macca is that he didn't (i thought) wear the beatles thing on his sleeve. it could be a case whereby he's at an age now with the gifts sliding away that he needs to bring the past up to help prop up a weak current creative output you know what i mean?

i remember watching that "chaos and creation.." thing he did with godrich at abbey road on the telly. i felt kind of bad for macca. he was like the "cool teacher" in secondary school being all boffony with the glasses and the making a song on the spot stuff. struck me as kind of sad :/ the audience were just happy to be there so macca could have sat there with a squeezebox singing sea shanties and the seats would still not be dry when everyone left -- but that reaction was based on the legend not the current releases. mixed blessings indeed.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 7:36 PM Quote
There are some hidden gems throughout his solo work, you've just got to dig to find them. Dubz, he never said he invented techno, rather that he was into the underground scene/music before Lennon was. Haven't heard the new record yet, but it's incredibly smart marketing. Any artist who did something like this would get a ridiculous amount of exposure.
You can see the video for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTNXrkBSp_o
Michel Gondry directed this; he's got a great style. The lads should get him to direct their next vid.

emmahealy
emmahealy Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 7:53 PM Quote
thanks for that Music... not to fond of the song.. but your right the video is very good.. very clever...

Pong with the library books...

the postman was in "the office"... always reminds my of Rodders...

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 09 Jun, 2007 8:12 PM Quote
MusicGirl99 wrote:
There are some hidden gems throughout his solo work, you've just got to dig to find them. Dubz, he never said he invented techno, rather that he was into the underground scene/music before Lennon was. Haven't heard the new record yet, but it's incredibly smart marketing. Any artist who did something like this would get a ridiculous amount of exposure.
You can see the video for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTNXrkBSp_o
Michel Gondry directed this; he's got a great style. The lads should get him to direct their next vid.

In an interview with Mtv about 5 years ago macca said "I invented Techno, without me there would be no Moby"...

*edit*
I'm not saying he is not talented, he has written some absolute gems over the years but as a person he's a fucking wanker, sometimes you have to seperate the man from the music, that's all I'm saying.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 3:01 AM