Travis

Re: Tribute Bands
champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 2:08 PM Quote
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:
How about this then:

Glastonbudget

They actually have a festival for tribute bands.

The best tribute act I have seen was a Queen tribute by a guy who won a stars in their eyes competition on tv a few years ago, Gary Mullen I think his name was.

He actually started off doing karaoke in the Horseshoe Bar from what i've heard.

Heh This is madness! Living your life as someone else... Should be fun though don't think it means a lot musically.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 2:11 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
There's an all female tribute band doing the rounds in Dublin called...

Lez Zeppelin

HAHA! Smart name. Oh ladies, always such teases. :-P

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 2:12 PM Quote
Two Tribute bands to Iron Maiden (really I've seen the posters)

Iron Midden - Scotland
Erin Maiden - Ireland

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 2:15 PM Quote
CoolPlay for Coldplay.

http://www.coolplay.co.uk/

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 2:22 PM Quote

Also seen these guys a few years backSnakes of Desire

a German heavy metal cover band from Finglas, they were actually very good, even did a heavy metal version of the Bargaintown ad and the Bodyform ad. very very funny

harry potter
harry potter Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 2:25 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Two Tribute bands to Iron Maiden (really I've seen the posters)

Iron Midden - Scotland
Erin Maiden - Ireland

jaysus i'd love to see them!

ruuuun tuuuu deeee hilllls
*drums* dum-diddle-dee, dum-diddle-dee,
ruuun foooahh yer liiiiiiifeeeeeeee

*sighs*
classic stuff.

Jimmy_Jimmy
Jimmy_Jimmy Posted Fri 01 Jun, 2007 5:07 PM Quote
Found this a while ago.

Everything Sounds Like Coldplay Now

I think it's quite funny. I am a Coldplay fan but I think it's rather clever how it sounds like Coldplay without actually being a Coldplay song.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 3:07 AM Quote
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:
Found this a while ago.

I think it's quite funny. I am a Coldplay fan but I think it's rather clever how it sounds like Coldplay without actually being a Coldplay song.

Oh, I know this. Carcks me up every time I see it.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 6:49 PM Quote
champagnesupernova wrote:
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:
How about this then:

Glastonbudget

They actually have a festival for tribute bands.

The best tribute act I have seen was a Queen tribute by a guy who won a stars in their eyes competition on tv a few years ago, Gary Mullen I think his name was.

He actually started off doing karaoke in the Horseshoe Bar from what i've heard.

Heh This is madness! Living your life as someone else... Should be fun though don't think it means a lot musically.

Yeh. Some of them do have creative names tho. Whoever does this for a living has to keep up with what the actual artist is doing at all times. That must be exhausting.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 6:51 PM Quote
Jimmy_Jimmy wrote:
Found this a while ago.

That was great lol. Couldn't make out the writing on his hand. Is it the same?

michele
michele Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 7:00 PM Quote
Sometimes I wonder the same... but they would be more useful for a group that doesn't exist anymore....

Sunny
Sunny Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 8:42 PM Quote
The Bootleg Beatles are pretty good. Seen them twice (indoor and outdoor). Their version of Penny Lane was far superior to the original.

http://www.bootlegbeatles.com/

paul_c
paul_c Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 10:19 PM Quote
Well... i'll never get to see The Doors. So a tribute band is the only way i'll get a live experience of their music.

There's a 'covers band' called The Racketeers who have played at my student's union a few times, and they do covers of popular contemporary songs. Always good for a dance! Moreso than a DJ playing the songs anyway

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 02 Jun, 2007 10:24 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
Well... i'll never get to see The Doors. So a tribute band is the only way i'll get a live experience of their music.

There's a 'covers band' called The Racketeers who have played at my student's union a few times, and they do covers of popular contemporary songs. Always good for a dance! Moreso than a DJ playing the songs anyway

There's an Austrailian Doors who are very good indeed but don't know if they're still going

Moray
Moray Posted Sun 03 Jun, 2007 1:14 AM Quote
I always find this one a hard one to answer. Personally I don't see the point in going to see bands like the complete stone roses or the bootleg beatles. It just doesn't do anything for me.

But then I remember I enjoy classical music, and at the end of the day aren't orchestra's and concert bands essentially cover bands putting their own interpretation on mozart and beethoven. Thats the part I struggle to answer!

I'll tell you what gigs I really don't see the point in - stadium shows. Especially ones for over the hill rockers like the Stones, Eagles, The Who, the Police and so on. I mean you pay what £70 for a ticket to watch old men on stage at an atmosphereless show, where you're about half a mile from the stage. You can't see the whites of the bands eyes and you can't emotionally connect with them in any level. So you're left with the bang for your bucks factor, i.e. the stage show. Which will invariably be shit as these guys are all too old to do fuck all. Buy it on dvd. At best.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 10:32 AM