Travis

Re: has
happy_me
happy_me Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:56 PM Quote
I thought that you couldn't donate organs if you were sick (i.e. if you have cancer, hiv, hepatitis and so on)because it could potentially lead to infection of the reciever. I mean, if I needed a new kidney I wouldn't want one from a donor with let's say cancer, beacuse it might lead to me getting cancer.

And I think it's something fishy about TV shows like that. Having a serious illness is not entertainment, it is going to end with at least one person dying.

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:57 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Sunny wrote:

If people are stupid enough to want to go on these programmes then TV Execs will keep on making 'em.

Only if the other fucking morons keep watching them.

Buttin in here i know, but i just wanted to say that this programm is part of a (i believe) two weeks of remembrance. The last boss Bart de Graaff of BNN died 5 years ago because after kidneytransplant his new kidney failed. Bart was in favour of controversy, so i think this being such a (well lets put it nicely) bolt show is made this way in his honor.

I can safely say I'm not a 'fucking moron'.

OK maybe I was a bit strong but...

So it's ok just to watch and encourage said people to go on these programmes ??? This is symptomatic of what is wrong with the world these days, no one is willing to take resposobility for their actions, It's always someone else's fault.

monkey
monkey Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 2:59 PM Quote
and the winner of win a kidney 2007 is......
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/media/images/galleries/entertainment/feeds/20060610/small/20060610_00_71149724gc018_big_brother_7.jpg
i honestly can't see the positive spin on something that is so wrong, people in such situations simply shouldn't be exploited

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 3:00 PM Quote
monkey wrote:
and the winner of win a kidney 2007 is......
http://www.tiscali.co.uk/media/images/galleries/entertainment/feeds/20060610/small/20060610_00_71149724gc018_big_brother_7.jpg
i honestly can't see the positive spin on something that is so wrong, people in such situations simply shouldn't be exploited

Don't forget, these people "only" have malfunctioning kidneys their brains still work. They could decide not to be in this show!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 3:07 PM Quote
Quote:
Buttin in here i know, but i just wanted to say that this programm is part of a (i believe) two weeks of remembrance. The last boss Bart de Graaff of BNN died 5 years ago because after kidneytransplant his new kidney failed. Bart was in favour of controversy, so i think this being such a (well lets put it nicely) bolt show is made this way in his honor

But surely, It is still sesationalism, there have to be better ways of doing this, and unless they pull the curtain back at the end with a big "no one leaves empty handed" "we have three extra Donors". I agree that it is shocking that this is the lenght these guys need to go to raise awareness, If you want people to listen you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore, you have to hit them in the face. But my major worry would be if we allow this sort of behaviour for this "one off" where do we draw the line... I mean next time, It may not be done with such honourable intentions... and the time after that... and the time after that, before you know it it'll be auctions & gameshows.

The "heart/Kidney/liver" is Right... Patient 1 come on down.

monkey
monkey Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 3:12 PM Quote
i think most most people who would be offered a 1-3 chance at a better standard of life would take it (reality tv or not). if odds were considerably better to get a kidney donor then it would be easier to judge the "contestants"

what Endemol is doing is clearly wrong

Sanne (nl)
Sanne (nl) Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 3:16 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Quote:
Buttin in here i know, but i just wanted to say that this programm is part of a (i believe) two weeks of remembrance. The last boss Bart de Graaff of BNN died 5 years ago because after kidneytransplant his new kidney failed. Bart was in favour of controversy, so i think this being such a (well lets put it nicely) bolt show is made this way in his honor

But surely, It is still sesationalism, there have to be better ways of doing this, and unless they pull the curtain back at the end with a big "no one leaves empty handed" "we have three extra Donors". I agree that it is shocking that this is the lenght these guys need to go to raise awareness, If you want people to listen you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore, you have to hit them in the face. But my major worry would be if we allow this sort of behaviour for this "one off" where do we draw the line... I mean next time, It may not be done with such honourable intentions... and the time after that... and the time after that, before you know it it'll be auctions & gameshows.

The "heart/Kidney/liver" is Right... Patient 1 come on down.

:) That was exactly what i intend to put on the board but obviously lack, well..eh... English skills:) But the strange thing is: this is causing a riot, but watching people being killed, people behaving like "bokito" (Dutch Gorilla escaping), and the original big brother is now somewhat mainstream. F$#$ me, i AM getting old:p

Andrew
Andrew Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 3:20 PM Quote
happy_me wrote:
I thought that you couldn't donate organs if you were sick (i.e. if you have cancer, hiv, hepatitis and so on)because it could potentially lead to infection of the reciever. I mean, if I needed a new kidney I wouldn't want one from a donor with let's say cancer, beacuse it might lead to me getting cancer.

As far as I can see it doesn't say she's got cancer just 'terminally ill'. Depends on what she's dying from I guess

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 4:29 PM Quote

I just thought of something...

Does this mean if you are on the list for a transplant but refuse to take part in this "Media Charade" you miss out on your chance of a new organ ???

happy_me
happy_me Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 5:23 PM Quote
Andrew wrote:
happy_me wrote:

As far as I can see it doesn't say she's got cancer just 'terminally ill'. Depends on what she's dying from I guess

It was only ment as an example ;) I don't know what this person is suffering from, so I can't really say. And what she is terminally ill from might not affect her ability to donate her kidneys. I'm just saying that I would be a bit skeptic about recieving an organ from a sick person.

Andrew
Andrew Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 5:34 PM Quote
Yeah I know what you mean though, any kind of cancer could spread, any sort of infectious disease would be a nono, it could be something genetic though! *geek* ;)

Andrew
Andrew Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 5:36 PM Quote
Another thought. Ok this woman's terminally ill but what if she survives longer than expected? That's really gonna kill (excuse me) the ratings

happy_me
happy_me Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 5:40 PM Quote
Imagine what the world would be like without geeks ;)

Yeah I thought about the possibility of the woman living longer than expected too.

Esteban
Esteban Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 5:42 PM Quote
Bet Anthony Cooper wins.

nats
nats Posted Tue 29 May, 2007 5:43 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

So it's ok just to watch and encourage said people to go on these programmes ??? This is symptomatic of what is wrong with the world these days, no one is willing to take resposobility for their actions, It's always someone else's fault.

I Couldnt agree more.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:22 PM