Travis

Re: what is sailing away about?
ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 9:12 PM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
FranFlower wrote:
Sailing Away always reminds me of the ending of the WDIAROM video where they're all sailing down the river in the floating room. I love that clip :)

That is a nice moment. I absolutely love when Fran gives Dougie's tooshy a little pat. I am always grabbing my husband's butt so it cracks me up when I see other people doing it. I did it to my friend at church recently and one of the pastors saw. I didn't see, but apparently he just burst out laughing.

lol! Anne, when I read that just now, I burst out laughing, much like the pastor I imagine. Got some funny looks for it too...

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 08 Oct, 2007 9:49 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
lol! Anne, when I read that just now, I burst out laughing, much like the pastor I imagine. Got some funny looks for it too...

Now I'm laughing imagining you getting weird looks. : )Yeah, it was pretty funny.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 12:00 AM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
ashleyb wrote:

Now I'm laughing imagining you getting weird looks. : )Yeah, it was pretty funny.

hah, well, your post really caught me off guard- I wasn't really expecting anything funny in this thread, and it was all quiet here then this sudden burst of laughter.

On a related note, and I don't know why this is, but I tend to get severe cases of the silent giggles in mass. It happens more often than I'd like to admit, but the pastor will say something, or something will pop in my head that isn't really even funny, and I'll just start giggling. But of course, I can't actually laugh out loud in church, so I end up shaking with silent laughter, with little gasps for air. I think I need to seek medical help for this condition...

Getting back to the topic of the thread, anyone care to discuss out in space lyrics?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 2:22 AM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
hah, well, your post really caught me off guard- I wasn't really expecting anything funny in this thread, and it was all quiet here then this sudden burst of laughter.

On a related note, and I don't know why this is, but I tend to get severe cases of the silent giggles in mass. It happens more often than I'd like to admit, but the pastor will say something, or something will pop in my head that isn't really even funny, and I'll just start giggling. But of course, I can't actually laugh out loud in church, so I end up shaking with silent laughter, with little gasps for air. I think I need to seek medical help for this condition...

Getting back to the topic of the thread, anyone care to discuss out in space lyrics?

Fair enough. I think the laughing thing is fairly typical. I think I've read we sometimes laugh when we're uncomfortable or nervous we're going to do the wrong thing. Seems likely in a church when you're trying to be all respectful that it's pretty natural to get nervous about somehow messing up and farting or whatever . : )

I like Out in Space. I like the knock on the guitar in the beginning. I think instrumentally it sets a good nighttime, etheral tone.

Lyrically I think it is about a relationship or friendship ending:

Oh my friend
If it ends
Let us go
And then not look back again

We can't be
You and me
Taking ourselves much too seriously

Then there's the chorus:

But out in space
A million miners work upon
The nights coal face
And all I see is black
And all the stars look back
At me

I think the million miners line is brilliant and I can picture that image in my head very clearly. For me the "all I see is black" means even with all the light and beauty he's only seeing the black but "all the stars look back" means the stars are trying their hardest to remind him of the ultimate beauty in the world.

Then:
Oh my friend
We should spend
Some more time looking
From the other end

For me that means stop focusing on your/own teeny little problem. Maybe look at it from someone else's perspective. Perhaps just live and stop focusing on your issues so much.

Finally:
Cause we would see
So clearly
We blame ourselves
As much as we blame we
We blame ourselves
As much as we blame we
We blame ourselves

This part's meaning doesn't jump out as much but my interpretation is that it could also be expressed (less poetically) by saying "you and I each blame ourselves individually as much as we blame ourselves as a whole."

Hope I've redeemed my silly self a wee bit.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 3:02 AM Quote
Yes, I think it definitely has something to do with not being able to laugh that makes it so hard not to do so. What's really bad is when the people around me start laughing because I am, and then the whole pew just sort of turns into this shaking mass. hehe...

Consider yourself redeemed, though there really was no cause for redemption- I love silliness. I must say, I was thinking along the same lines as you, concerning the song. And 'ethereal' is definitely the best description for the song. Brilliant word choice there, Anne. I just love the imagery in the song, the atmosphere it creates...

noreply9
noreply9 Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 3:25 AM Quote
I love this song! Every time I hear it I think of Matt Foley!

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 4:03 AM Quote
noreply9 wrote:
I love this song! Every time I hear it I think of Matt Foley!

I first I thought you were talking about Out in Space and then I remembered the original thread. Yes, I too think of Mr. Foley down by the river.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 4:04 AM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
Consider yourself redeemed, though there really was no cause for redemption- I love silliness.

I know. But I did feel bad that I hijacked a thread. That's the norm on GC but it seems like we should stay more on topic on the Travis forum.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Tue 09 Oct, 2007 4:20 AM Quote
weirdmominaustin wrote:
ashleyb wrote:
Consider yourself redeemed, though there really was no cause for redemption- I love silliness.

I know. But I did feel bad that I hijacked a thread. That's the norm on GC but it seems like we should stay more on topic on the Travis forum.

oh yeah...I forgot that hijacking threads is bad. And speaking of which...
So, sailing away... i think we (and by 'we' I mean boardies in general, as I wasn't actually a part of the actual discussion of sailing away) have established the meaning of the song pretty well, yes? Lovely song, btw...

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 1:00 AM