Travis

Re: American Accent
Monica
Monica Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2007 12:19 AM Quote
Lucile wrote:
As an English teacher and a linguist I'm really interested in all kinds of accents and phonetics in general (that's the subject if my doctoral thesis - I'm a geek, I know!).

It's really interesting! I study English philology and I want to be a linguist. I love British accent, and I try the best I can to achieve the goals, but it's really difficult. There are a lot of sounds in English that Spanish doesn't have, and in ordinary conversation, it's so hard to remember all of them!! but I'm improving everyday (that's what my teachers say), Anyway, I'm used to American accent because of the influence of the TV, but if I can choose, I prefer the British.

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2007 1:02 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
We talk slow and bland in California , maZn

Unless you are Mexican. ;)

Actually, when I was younger and visited California, my relatives told me I had an Accent. Which is weird, since I'm from the Midwest and generally speak in the Accent for which all News Anchors strive for..the blandest, accent ever. Though Cincinnati, (where I was) is close to Kentucky and sometimes a little drawl creeps in.

Anyway, I also find, along with Regional Dialect, the regional phrases & words or whatever to be interesting. In Cincinnati we say "Please" when we can't hear you and want you to repeat what you said. Everywhere else in the country finds this hilariously odd and confusing. I don't know if any other place does this. (anybody?)

Hahah, Anyway, to the Topic, I find the American Accent quite pleasing. (hehehe ;)

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2007 1:38 AM Quote
American accents are confusing - you can never tell what the heck they are saying because they can't just decide amongst themselves which way to slant the vowel 'a'

Like in scotland every 'a' is the same, - so jam, ram, california, applemac, started, rastafarian, its either the aa sound or the ahh sound, whereas in the states its like Car (almost like cor) and ham (liek hayam or haam or heam) and because we hear it so much we don't know if its amish or omish!

Ask an american to say Kerry, then say Carrie - it sounds exactly the same!!

audrey
audrey Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2007 1:52 AM Quote
most boardies already know about my accent.. HAHA.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2007 2:03 AM Quote
I forget where , " you betcha " , comes from , Idaho ?

DAKOTA
DAKOTA Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2007 2:11 AM Quote
ricv64 wrote:
I forget where , " you betcha " , comes from , Idaho ?

When I think of that I think of Minnesota / North Dakota...States Very close to Canada...

Fer Fer
Fer Fer Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2007 7:19 AM Quote
DAKOTA wrote:

Anyway, I also find, along with Regional Dialect, the regional phrases & words or whatever to be interesting. In Cincinnati we say "Please" when we can't hear you and want you to repeat what you said. Everywhere else in the country finds this hilariously odd and confusing. I don't know if any other place does this. (anybody?)

I'm from northern california and i think we have something like that. My little sister grew up in northern and moved to southern california when she was around 12 or so. In northern we say 'hecka' and 'hella'. Like "Did you see that movie? Yeah, it was hella cool". Hecka is like the nicer version of hella. Anyway, my sister was talking like this with her new friends in southern California and they were all thrown off by it. There was also a South Park episode a couple years ago where Cartman all of a sudden starts saying hella in every sentence and the other boys didn't know what it was and thought it was really stupid. And, well, i guess it's a little stupid.. :)

elfy
elfy Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2007 7:35 AM Quote
My missus gets asked about her accent all the time. For anyone who doesn't know, we met on here, she's from California and is now living here in Scotland. There isn't a day goes by when she doesn't get asked where she's from, people seem to be really impressed by it. When we first met I kinda was too, it was a little bit of a novelty but I don't even hear an accent now. I do find myself saying things like 'trash' now though instead of 'rubbish'. 'Pissed' means something different when I'm talking to Jen, and don't even get me started on 'fanny'!

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Sat 21 Jul, 2007 11:05 AM Quote
elfy wrote:
My missus gets asked about her accent all the time. For anyone who doesn't know, we met on here, she's from California and is now living here in Scotland. There isn't a day goes by when she doesn't get asked where she's from, people seem to be really impressed by it. When we first met I kinda was too, it was a little bit of a novelty but I don't even hear an accent now. I do find myself saying things like 'trash' now though instead of 'rubbish'. 'Pissed' means something different when I'm talking to Jen, and don't even get me started on 'fanny'!

Elfy !
do you also wear your sneakers to go running ? haha !

Darran
Darran Posted Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:01 AM Quote
audrey wrote:

Y'aaaaaaall

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 23 Jul, 2007 10:13 AM Quote
Darran wrote:
audrey wrote:

Y'aaaaaaall

Dudette !

Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Mon 23 Jul, 2007 1:46 PM Quote
Does it really matter? Lets face it , unless your scottish you have already lost the lottery of life.

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 23 Jul, 2007 7:13 PM Quote
SamuraiSandy wrote:
ricv64 wrote:
We talk slow and bland in California , maZn

Haha...
we all know about the Texas Twang! I've definitely developed a little twang over the years...

I think it's kind of funny to hear ppl imitate the American
accent, 'cause so many ppl do it with a twang...

haha true!! when other ppl try to imitate when they think is the sole American accent, they do the Texan/southie one..

alyrtle
alyrtle Posted Mon 23 Jul, 2007 7:16 PM Quote
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) wrote:
Does it really matter? Lets face it , unless your scottish you have already lost the lottery of life.

haha...drats. thanks for making me jealous all over again!

feri
feri Posted Mon 23 Jul, 2007 8:24 PM Quote
I don't like the souther accents like the Texas, South Carolina one, but I like the california/surfer way of talking or at least the way they show on TV. I think American/Canadian accents can sound sophisticated when they don't have that Brooklyn/Boston/Texas way of talking. Anyways I kinda like the Boston and Brooklyn accents, it's funny!

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:01 PM