Travis

Re: FAO: lilly
lilly
lilly Posted Fri 20 Nov, 2009 7:08 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Oh, Youtube, how I love thee! Here we go, Molasses, Molasses by Spike Jones and His City Slickers. Who knew there were so many verses??? Interestingly, neither of the verses my mother sang are on this record. I wonder if she made them up herself? But the tune is the same.
(FYI - same guy who did this did All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIFAAYqdASQ

Lilly, are the cookies in the oven yet?

NOOOO, I was sent on a mission to a shopping mall today and after having spent 2 hours there (without buying anything) I didn't have enough energy left to start baking *sigh* TOMORROW shall be the day!! gotta make Cantucci for my mum, too, ooohhh tomorrow will be baking day :) (I love baking!)

If they look pretty, I'll post pictures :)

that song is brilliant!! Travis should add it to their setlist :D

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 24 Nov, 2009 2:52 PM Quote
Pumpkin bread
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons molasses
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2/3 cup orange juice
2 cup canned pumpkin
3 1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon cloves

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter 3 bread pans.

Cream butter, molasses, and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat until light and lemon-colored. Add orange juice and pumpkin and mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add pumpkin mixture, stir with wooden spoon.

Fill each pan about 2/3 full. Bake 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn onto rack to cool completely.

Let me know if you have any questions. This bread is delightful.

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Tue 24 Nov, 2009 3:12 PM Quote
ohhh thank you, Anne!!!

Kayte, I finally made the cookies!!! AND I can now safely say that molasses is nothing like golden syrup or treacle, even if it should be similar *lol*

I also think it'll take me a while to get used to the smell (strangely enough, it reminds me of soy sauce and Marmite at the same time *lol*), but fortunately the cookies taste great! ;D

P.S.: wrong boardie-account, arrrgh.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 24 Nov, 2009 7:51 PM Quote
Did you take a picture of the cookies? I want to see!

Ok, describe the difference between molasses and golden syrup and treacle. We need an in-depth explanation now that you've tasted all 3.

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Tue 24 Nov, 2009 7:52 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Pumpkin bread
1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
3 tablespoons molasses
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2/3 cup orange juice
2 cup canned pumpkin
3 1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon cloves

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter 3 bread pans.

Cream butter, molasses, and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat until light and lemon-colored. Add orange juice and pumpkin and mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add pumpkin mixture, stir with wooden spoon.

Fill each pan about 2/3 full. Bake 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn onto rack to cool completely.

Let me know if you have any questions. This bread is delightful.

hey i hear canned pumpkin is gonna be in shortage this season ....

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Tue 24 Nov, 2009 9:57 PM Quote
ricv64 wrote:

hey i hear canned pumpkin is gonna be in shortage this season ....

I heard that, too. I haven't looked for it, but I haven't heard anyone complain they couldn't find it around here.

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 12:32 AM