Travis

Re: Song Showdown News Centre
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 12 Jun, 2007 8:44 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
Typing to Reach You wrote:
40 minutes till the deadline. And we have ties in two battles! Now in past Song Showdowns I've cast the deciding vote. Seeing as I don't properly vote in the thing myself anyway, it's fair I reckon. That ok with everyone? Not that I'll listen if it's not. It's MY competition. lol.

i have no problem with that, will you tell us which ones are ties though

The ties are in battles 7, 10 and 23. Yeah I know I said two ties...I meant three, lol.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 12 Jun, 2007 9:00 PM Quote
Say whatever the hell you want... it's your competition! ;)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 12 Jun, 2007 9:29 PM Quote
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v433/Jearoon/MB/SongShowdownNewsCentre.jpg

Newsflash: Song Showdown Resurrection has now commenced! This mini round allows one defeated song from round 1 to go through to round 2. As it stands, the deadline is 11:00 am Wednesday. However this may change. Watch this space for any potential updates.

kim2007w
kim2007w Posted Tue 12 Jun, 2007 9:36 PM Quote
have you let them on the other side know about your showdown, just in case they want to vote and havent been on this side today and dont know about it

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 12 Jun, 2007 9:53 PM Quote
kim2007w wrote:
have you let them on the other side know about your showdown, just in case they want to vote and havent been on this side today and dont know about it

I haven't...I might put one message over there at some point. But the way I see it, the general chat is a place of solitude away from this Song Showdown thing for those that don't want to be a part of it. =P

I'm pretty sure that, since yesterday afternoon when it started, most people would've checked out the Travis section though.

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:23 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
paul_c wrote:
You've got this all worked out dontcha? ;)
Is there going to be a 'Travis B-side Showdown' after this has been and gone?

I'm thinking about a b-side one yeah, but not in the near future. Song showdowns are special - they only come once in a blue moon. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

There is already a 'Travis B-side Showdown' (of sorts) run by me if you're interested HERE -
with one difference, you vote for your favourite 20 b-sides and I add up the votes all together.

"Too Good To Be B-Sides" - The Best 20 Travis B-Sides Unofficial Fans Voting Page

Thanks for voting.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 12 Jun, 2007 10:55 PM Quote
Just sorted out, through random selection, the pairings for the new songs - leaving a slot for the resurrected song (yes I know what song the chosen candidate is up against!). Believe me, if you thought round 1 was tough, there's some real horrible choices this time around. Potential winners are up against each other. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/5-Confused.gif

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 14 Jun, 2007 5:14 PM Quote

Hey, thanks for all the votes so far for round 2 peeps.
Just want to point out firstly to paul_c - you've not given a vote in the fourth battle mate. If you could either give your answer here, or edit your post over there, then I'll count your votes. As it stands, I'm only counting people's voting where decisions are given in all battles. Invissy, I've not counted your votes 'cos you chickened out in two battles. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

Sorry, but if I counted only some battles and not others, firstly it makes it confusing when the number of votes isn’t constant throughout (it makes it more difficult to detect any potential tallying mistakes for one thing), and it’s kind of unfair to all those who’ve gone through the undeniable mental torture of giving a full list of votes themselves.

Cheers dudes. The voting for round 2 finishes 12:00 midday tomorrow (Thursday) and I’ll start round 3 soon after.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 3:40 PM Quote
So, we're at the last 16 songs. The quarter-finals, featuring just 4 battles and 8 songs, will be taking place this Sunday.

Post here and share your thoughts on the final 16 if you wish. Also, any suggestions into how Song Showdown could be improved for next time are welcomed.

I seem to remember in the last Song Showdown, in the first round I got people to pick 2 songs out of groups of 4 songs instead of picking 1 song from pairs. The advantage of this was that it leaves it a bit less down to simple chance of pairing, so the votes could be more flexible and realistic. Perhaps I should've done that in the first round to help filter out weaker songs.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 3:47 PM Quote
I've updated my Round 2 vote- although it probably doesn't matter now

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 3:57 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
I've updated my Round 2 vote- although it probably doesn't matter now

It doesn't matter now, but thanks all the same lol. Unfortunately counting your votes wouldn't be enough to save Battleships anyway. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/4-Wink.gif

I would tell everyone the scores of last round only I did the round two stuff at home (I'm back at uni now) so I don't have them with me. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/2-Sad.gif

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 4:32 PM Quote
Guess the good thing about the showdown system is you're guaranteed to get a 'proper' winner, every eliminated song will have been dumped out because it was beaten by a better one, even in the final round.

Until you get to the final though it's gonna be a strange set - quite a few songs in the last 16 that I'd have expected out in the first round (Happy to Hang Around!!)

Shame Battleships went to early, but now it gets interesting!!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 5:55 PM Quote
Mikko85 wrote:
Guess the good thing about the showdown system is you're guaranteed to get a 'proper' winner, every eliminated song will have been dumped out because it was beaten by a better one, even in the final round.

Until you get to the final though it's gonna be a strange set - quite a few songs in the last 16 that I'd have expected out in the first round (Happy to Hang Around!!)

Shame Battleships went to early, but now it gets interesting!!

Yeah you get some songs that were lucky in the pairing process. It's bound to happen because the songs have been paired up randomly. But on the other hand, it makes it more interesting. Happy To Hang Around was up against, what I consider, to be pretty easy opponents - Afterglow and How Many Hearts. How much further it'll get remains to be seen. But these things happen in real knock-out tournaments as well. And likewise, two potential winners could be up against each other in the first round. As the wise man once said - 'tis how thee cookie doth crumble'.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 15 Jun, 2007 6:20 PM Quote
B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle! B-side Battle!

Do that next- and then pit out the winning track with the winning B-side to crown the ULTIMATE Travis song! :D

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 29 Jun, 2007 12:47 PM Quote

Statistics

Round 1

Songs: 62

Votes: 30

Easiest Wins:

Writing to Reach You –vs- Out In Space (28:2)
Side –vs- Peace The Fuck Out (27:3)
Tied To The 90’s –vs- Midsummer Night’s Dreamin’ (27:3)
More Than Us –vs- Line Is Fine (27:3)
Selfish Jean –vs- New Amsterdam (27:3)

Closest Matches:

I Love You Anyways –vs- Indefinitely (15:15 Draw)
Coming Around –vs- Sailing Away (15:15 Draw)
The Distance –vs- Somewhere Else (15:15 Draw)

Resurrection Round

All I Want To Do Is Rock and Love Will Come Through put up strong fights, but failed at the privilege of resurrection over Battleships…which soon saw the grave again as it was pitted against Side and KO’d in the very next round!

Round 2

Songs: 32

...um, I'll fill in these stats when I get home tonight. They're on my home computer xD

Round 3

Songs: 16

Votes: 37

Easiest Wins:

Selfish Jean –vs- Colder (30:7)
Driftwood –vs- The Fear (28:9)

Closest Matches:

Why Does It Always Rain On Me? –vs- Side (22:15)
Tied To The 90’s –vs- Happy To Hang Around (22:15)
My Eyes –vs- As You Are (22:15)

Round 4

Songs: 8

Votes: 43

Results:

Selfish Jean –vs- My Eyes (26:17)
Driftwood –vs- Tied To The 90’s (30:13)
Writing to Reach You –vs- Why Does It Always Rain On Me? (24:19)
Turn –vs- 3 Times And You Loose (33:10)

Round 5

Songs: 4

Votes: 46

Results:

Writing to Reach You –vs- Turn (25:21)
Selfish Jean –vs- Driftwood (28:18)

3rd Place Playoff

Votes: 28

Results:

Turn –vs- Driftwood (16:12)

Final

Votes: 37

Results:

Writing to Reach You –vs- Selfish Jean (25:12)

If you want results for any particular matches, say so and I'll give you 'em.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:01 AM