Travis

Re: hosting a baby shower etiquette question
minnesotamary
minnesotamary Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 8:00 PM Quote
While it isn't necessary, I'm sure you'll want to get something for the little one...after all, s/he isn't able to enjoy the shower/party.

I made this diaper cake for my friend who's expecting.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/minnemary/arts%20crafts/002.jpg

Re: hosting a baby show etiquette question
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 9:01 PM Quote
mili wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

Upon second inspection I think that gold package (maybe it's lotion or shampoo) looks like a pack of condoms. That would be hilarious!

It IS a pack of condoms…

Better than condoms would be a baseball bat or a crowbar. Something that could deliver blunt force trauma.

Re: hosting a baby show etiquette question
mili
mili Posted Fri 24 Oct, 2008 9:53 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
mili wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

Upon second inspection I think that gold package (maybe it's lotion or shampoo) looks like a pack of condoms. That would be hilarious!

It IS a pack of condoms…

Better than condoms would be a baseball bat or a crowbar. Something that could deliver blunt force trauma.

LOL!!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 5:06 PM Quote
Bump for chat room girls.

lilly
lilly Posted Sat 08 Nov, 2008 5:10 PM Quote
OH MY GOD, MILI!!!!

I am SO moving to Finnland if I ever want to have a baby ;D

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 6:21 PM Quote
minnesotamary wrote:
While it isn't necessary, I'm sure you'll want to get something for the little one...after all, s/he isn't able to enjoy the shower/party.

I made this diaper cake for my friend who's expecting.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd113/minnemary/arts%20crafts/002.jpg

I am soooooooooooooooooooooo impressed with this! It's beautiful and cool! I would love if someone got me this but we don't have baby showers here! lol

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 6:29 PM Quote
you dont have baby showers Wendy? Thats sad. Although not for the person that has to organize them!

Anne, how'd it go yesterday?

lilly
lilly Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 7:46 PM Quote
btw: about that baby-package:

I read you can order it if you want to have what Finnish mums get... is costs... wait for it...300 euro plus shipping charge!

mili
mili Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 9:33 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
OH MY GOD, MILI!!!!

I am SO moving to Finnland if I ever want to have a baby ;D

Well, the Geburtsvorbereitung (I hope that was correct) I received in Munich while expecting the first one was far more superior to the stuff I had with the second baby on its way in Finland, and I didn't even understand everything at the lessons. The package might be better, but the pre-birth training and as far as I know the after birth services (midwife visiting homes etc) are better in Germany.

Babies and children are seriously monitored in Finland, there's a regular check-up at the local health center and growth charts are very important. Infant mortality is one of the lowest in the World.

I wasn't at all comfortable in carting the newborn to the healt center when she was jut a week or two old and it was -25 °C outside (we had no car), but got pretty soon used to the local culture of giving the baby a day snooze outdoors; wrap the baby up, put he/her in the pram on the balcony / in the yard and the baby'll sleep like a log.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:02 PM Quote
Shower went well! The final count was somewhere close to 80 people!! They both just have big families plus a lot of friends. It was crazy but it's a really good friend and I'm glad I could do help do something special for her.

I was so tired yesterday from all the cooking (I baked every night for a week leading up to this) and then just running the party.

But it was worth it and the whole food and money thing worked out just fine. Whew. I spent what I was comfortable spending which I wasn't sure was going to happen.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:03 PM Quote
yay! Glad it went well Anne!
Did the men just end up watching football?

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:04 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:
Shower went well! The final count was somewhere close to 80 people!! They both just have big families plus a lot of friends. It was crazy but it's a really good friend and I'm glad I could do help do something special for her.

I was so tired yesterday from all the cooking (I baked every night for a week leading up to this) and then just running the party.

But it was worth it and the whole food and money thing worked out just fine. Whew. I spent what I was comfortable spending which I wasn't sure was going to happen.

Glad everything worked out, Anne. I just returned from a bridal shower and saw some old friends from high school and we giggled ourselves into fits. I haven't laughed so much is a long time!

mili
mili Posted Sun 09 Nov, 2008 10:19 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

Pleased to hear everything went well! What a huge amount of people you had! Did you give a present as well in the end?

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:40 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
yay! Glad it went well Anne!
Did the men just end up watching football?

There was a mix of men and women upstairs watching football and then men and women downstairs.

What was funny was that when they started opening presents (which took probably about an hour and a half) a GUY was mad that people were still upstairs watching football. He felt it was rude and that they were here for a shower and this wasn't a football watching party.

Geez, I didn't even watch them open their presents. I was wiped out and I find it so boring anyway. "Oh look at those washclothes! How cute!" "Oh look at that blanket! How cute!" "Oh look at that toy! How cute!"

And the couple didn't mind so it was all good.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Mon 10 Nov, 2008 1:19 PM Quote
I'm glad everything went fine, Anne!
Wow, 80 people! And they opened all the presents right there! I don't blame those watching football :oP

Pages Previous 1 [2] All Times BST Current Time 1:37 AM