Travis

Re: Things I have realized
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 11 Feb, 2011 7:39 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Misericordiae as in The Mater Misericordiae Hospital in Dublin just means Mercy.

Dubz

And a thought occurred to me just the other day, it's Mater as in Maternal so it's basically. The Mother of Mercy Hospital, like the sisters ??

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 11 Feb, 2011 7:44 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
It's prerogative and I have always spelt it perogitive.

Dubz

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=525275570008&id=03448f0a84a0cc7a17f655124739fa51

I don't think I've ever had to write it, but if I did I am sure I would have spelled it perogative also. At least Bobby Brown got it right. I had to check.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 11 Feb, 2011 8:05 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
It's prerogative and I have always spelt it perogitive.

Dubz

I don't think I've ever had to write it, but if I did I am sure I would have spelled it perogative also. At least Bobby Brown got it right. I had to check.

It was someone who corrected me on another forum, he mentioned he'd spelt it the same way and had to check it himself, I also checked it when he told me. I wonder if there is a perpetual theme featuring people checking the spelling of Prerogative...

Dubz

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 25 Feb, 2011 3:42 PM Quote
I'm watching a program called The Story of Ireland, they are talking about the whole "1690" business and one of the experts has just said that when James fled the battlefield he was thenceforth known as "Seamus an Chaca do Chaill Eireann" which translates as "James the Shite who lost Ireland".

I think that it's interesting that the English for excrement is Shite but the Irish is Chaca, Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Caca (sp?) a word used in other languages to describe the same thing ??

Dubz

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 25 Feb, 2011 3:58 PM Quote
We use it here, but it's the kind of word a little kid would use for poop. "Ew, caca." It isn't a bad word like $h!t.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Fri 25 Feb, 2011 4:50 PM Quote

Yes, "caca" means "poop" in Spanish (used by kids and adults). For "shite" we use "mierda". Kids sometimes say "popó".

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Fri 25 Feb, 2011 6:03 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Misericordiae as in The Mater Misericordiae Hospital in Dublin just means Mercy.

Dubz

And a thought occurred to me just the other day, it's Mater as in Maternal so it's basically. The Mother of Mercy Hospital, like the sisters ??

Dubz

in Latin, "mater, matris" means mother, and "misericordiae" is the genitive/second case of "misericordia"* (=mercy), so yes, you're right :)

* "miseria, miseriae" = misery. "cor, cordis "=heart...

(just thinking out loud: I'm pretty sure "mercy" comes from the Latin word "merces", which originally meant "wages" or "goods"...same origin as "merci" in French - or "Mercedes" ;) ...)

mili
mili Posted Sun 27 Feb, 2011 9:56 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I'm watching a program called The Story of Ireland, they are talking about the whole "1690" business and one of the experts has just said that when James fled the battlefield he was thenceforth known as "Seamus an Chaca do Chaill Eireann" which translates as "James the Shite who lost Ireland".

I think that it's interesting that the English for excrement is Shite but the Irish is Chaca, Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Caca (sp?) a word used in other languages to describe the same thing ??

Dubz

"Kakka" (basically the same word) is used for shite by Finnish kids, but not by cool dudes.
Maybe the Irish word has something to do with the Spanish sailors who got shipwrecked in Ireland?

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:18 PM Quote
Most people are self centred, arrogant, selfish Cunts.

Even when you try to return a favour.

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 6:17 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

"Kakka" (basically the same word) is used for shite by Finnish kids, but not by cool dudes.
Maybe the Irish word has something to do with the Spanish sailors who got shipwrecked in Ireland?

"Kacke" would be the German equivalent to Mili's Finnish "Kakka" ;)

The common German word used for the same thing, however, is "Scheiß(e)" (as most people in the world seem to know), which derives from Middle High German, which was a West Germanic language, just like Old English. Whereas "Kacke" sounds like it derives from the Latin word "cacare"...

so:
shite --> Germanic origin
caca/etc... --> Latin/Romance-language origin?? (Mili's explanation sounds good, but I think: it was the monks' fault. 5th century (or sth) --> Christian faith in Ireland --> Latin language in the monasteries etc etc.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 28 Feb, 2011 6:25 PM Quote
thewishlist wrote:
mili wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

"Kacke" would be the German equivalent to Mili's Finnish "Kakka" ;)

The common German word used for the same thing, however, is "Scheiß(e)" (as most people in the world seem to know), which derives from Middle High German, which was a West Germanic language, just like Old English. Whereas "Kacke" sounds like it derives from the Latin word "cacare"...

so:
shite --> Germanic origin
caca/etc... --> Latin/Romance-language origin?? (Mili's explanation sounds good, but I think: it was the monks' fault. 5th century (or sth) --> Christian faith in Ireland --> Latin language in the monasteries etc etc.

Thank you,

Hey' you're pretty good with this stuff, here's a couple for you to add...

The Scots word for a Bat is a "Fluttermoose" - flying mouse, I believe in German it's Fledermaus, I think this is too close to be a coincedence.

The other one which I have heard is the Scots will refer to Water as Wah-tar, which IMO is a lot closer to the German Wasser that it is to the English prononced Wha-T-er with a "hard" T.

Dubz

thewishlist
thewishlist Posted Wed 02 Mar, 2011 10:34 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Thank you,

Hey' you're pretty good with this stuff, here's a couple for you to add...

The Scots word for a Bat is a "Fluttermoose" - flying mouse, I believe in German it's Fledermaus, I think this is too close to be a coincedence.

The other one which I have heard is the Scots will refer to Water as Wah-tar, which IMO is a lot closer to the German Wasser that it is to the English prononced Wha-T-er with a "hard" T.

Dubz

Fluttermoose? Really? That sounds so cute! Plus, I think I now finally know what the "Fleder-" in "Fledermaus" is all about. It should be named "Flattermaus" in German, not "Fledermaus" ("flattern" = to flutter)...
It makes so much more sense now, thank you!

And I guess the "Water"/Wasser difference has sth to do with some kind of consonant shift that turned t's into s and th (or the old letter "þ"/thorn) into d etcetera... I'm not sure, though.

I realised something else a few days ago: the English plural "mice" sounds exactly like the Bavarian word, whereas in High German it's "Mäuse"... no idea how that came about ;D

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Thu 03 Mar, 2011 1:27 PM Quote
That Charlie sheen is diverting attention from nicolas cages bad film choices

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Thu 10 Mar, 2011 4:31 AM Quote
Watching "The Story of Ireland" again...

I've just found out that the Irish attempted to invade Canada !!!

Now it was the Irish Americans in the Fenian Brotherhood but still

Wiki

Dubz

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Thu 10 Mar, 2011 7:02 PM Quote
Just to add the shit coversation cach is scottish gaelic for shit. The two gaelic's are very similar in a lot of ways.

Pages Previous 1...9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:02 PM