minnmess wrote:
im often accused of being too much, lol

well, you are, waaaayyyy too much ;-)

Re: Baseball fever anyone?
SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Tue 23 Sep, 2008 4:33 PM Quote
nesmap wrote:
Yet another sport that America nicked from us

we took it and turned it into a "national pastime", please, it's one of the few real "american" traditions, let us have it

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Tue 23 Sep, 2008 8:56 PM Quote
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
ashleyb wrote:
I love baseball, best sport ever, in my humble opinion. At the moment though I'm frantically waiting to see the Twins beat the White Sox.

Concerning the Rays (and no offense meant to any Rays fans, because I'm sure you're perfectly lovely), I quite frankly cannot stand their fans, though I was happy to see them clinch a playoff spot, considering their past record. I find the fans to be among the most obnoxious in baseball (of the fans I've encountered, which includes Boston and NY, by the way). It may be those ridiculous cowbells, but whenever I go to a game, I find that I cannot enjoy it because the fans just grate on my nerves.

I think I much preferred it when they couldn't win a game- then I could attend in relative peace...

lol, did you read that tk? is it true???:-p there is no way that any fans could ever be more annoying than boston fans, no freakin way! boston sports fans take the freakin cake! my opinion. so you're a twins fan?

You make fun, but I'm dead serious! :P I'd take a Boston fan over a Rays fan any day. The one time I made it up to Fenway I had a blast. The general atmosphere was much more pleasant than in Tampa. It actually felt like a Major League game ought to feel. Maybe it has something to do with age. Boston fans are veterans - the team's been around forever, and the fans are of the 'lifetime' variety, and diehard. Maybe I just respect them more for being around so long? Now, Tampa fans, on the otherhand... Well, the club's been around, what?, a decade? And now the fans have been around a year. And there's a world of difference between the two types. The latter is much more immature, more obnoxious. I just can't stand 'em. But, I've nothing against the team itself.

But on to other things: yes, I am a Twins fan, and yes I wish there were a couple more games left in the season so we had more time to make up those 2 1/2 that we're behind. And yes, I do despise the White Sox (especially the commentators. I cringe and feel like punching something every time I hear "he gone!")

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Tue 23 Sep, 2008 9:17 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
ashleyb wrote:
I love baseball, best sport ever, in my humble opinion. At the moment though I'm frantically waiting to see the Twins beat the White Sox.

Concerning the Rays (and no offense meant to any Rays fans, because I'm sure you're perfectly lovely), I quite frankly cannot stand their fans, though I was happy to see them clinch a playoff spot, considering their past record. I find the fans to be among the most obnoxious in baseball (of the fans I've encountered, which includes Boston and NY, by the way). It may be those ridiculous cowbells, but whenever I go to a game, I find that I cannot enjoy it because the fans just grate on my nerves.

I think I much preferred it when they couldn't win a game- then I could attend in relative peace...

lol, did you read that tk? is it true???:-p there is no way that any fans could ever be more annoying than boston fans, no freakin way! boston sports fans take the freakin cake! my opinion. so you're a twins fan?

You make fun, but I'm dead serious! :P I'd take a Boston fan over a Rays fan any day. The one time I made it up to Fenway I had a blast. The general atmosphere was much more pleasant than in Tampa. It actually felt like a Major League game ought to feel. Maybe it has something to do with age. Boston fans are veterans - the team's been around forever, and the fans are of the 'lifetime' variety, and diehard. Maybe I just respect them more for being around so long? Now, Tampa fans, on the otherhand... Well, the club's been around, what?, a decade? And now the fans have been around a year. And there's a world of difference between the two types. The latter is much more immature, more obnoxious. I just can't stand 'em. But, I've nothing against the team itself.

But on to other things: yes, I am a Twins fan, and yes I wish there were a couple more games left in the season so we had more time to make up those 2 1/2 that we're behind. And yes, I do despise the White Sox (especially the commentators. I cringe and feel like punching something every time I hear "he gone!")

the chisox anouncers say "he gone"?, what the....yeah that would be annoying. i know exactly how you feel, that punching feeling, i wish that the diamondbacks would just roll over and die already, i mean, we beat them 5 straight games in the freakin clutch! we deserve to win the national league west, hands down! and in the american, i honestly would rather see the twins in the playoffs than the red sox, they may have been around a long time, and they may know their stuff, but i'd like to see some new blood in the playoffs this year, that would be fun

TK23
TK23 Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 5:05 AM Quote
That aggravates me. There are TONS of Rays fans that have been supporting the team well before they ever became successful this year. Go see a game in Tampa, how many people of ALL AGES do you see walking around in old Devil Rays jerseys? I am getting so sick of hearing people going at it with all that 'bandwagon Rays fan' crap. Sure, it's not the oldest team in the history of baseball- but you have to start somewhere? If it's the fact that there is a large amount of younger Rays fans that bothers you, that's simply ridiculous. I happen to find the fact that fellow teens/college aged people enjoy going to games very refreshing. I'd take a younger fan base over 90% old geezers any day. Also, the bit about the cow bells? Give me a break. It's part of the fun, and Rays fans certainly not the first to use them.

All in all, the atmosphere at Tropicana Field is just as good as at any other ballpark, if not better than most. Rays fans are nice people, everyone from families, to old men, to college kids are just there to have a good time- and excited to finally have a team to be proud of. We don't bash other teams, we don't brag. Annoying? Not in the least. Good gosh.

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 4:29 PM Quote
TK23 wrote:
That aggravates me. There are TONS of Rays fans that have been supporting the team well before they ever became successful this year. Go see a game in Tampa, how many people of ALL AGES do you see walking around in old Devil Rays jerseys? I am getting so sick of hearing people going at it with all that 'bandwagon Rays fan' crap. Sure, it's not the oldest team in the history of baseball- but you have to start somewhere? If it's the fact that there is a large amount of younger Rays fans that bothers you, that's simply ridiculous. I happen to find the fact that fellow teens/college aged people enjoy going to games very refreshing. I'd take a younger fan base over 90% old geezers any day. Also, the bit about the cow bells? Give me a break. It's part of the fun, and Rays fans certainly not the first to use them.

All in all, the atmosphere at Tropicana Field is just as good as at any other ballpark, if not better than most. Rays fans are nice people, everyone from families, to old men, to college kids are just there to have a good time- and excited to finally have a team to be proud of. We don't bash other teams, we don't brag. Annoying? Not in the least. Good gosh.

You tell em Tk! Go Rays!;-)

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
TK23 wrote:

Well, it seems I've opened a can of worms here. Apologies for upsetting you so - that was not my intent.

-I know that Tampa had fans before this season. However, to deny the sudden and tremendous boost of support that this season has wrought would be naive. It is mostly towards these people that my comments are directed.
-Yes, every team has to start somewhere. And I sincerely hope that the fans gained this season will become lifetime fans. Considering the conditions under which they became fans in the first place though, my cynicism tells me they'll be gone once the Rays's record drops again (which it undoubtably will, as it's just the nature of the game.) I hope time will prove me wrong here.
-I had nothing against the young fans, specifically. I found behavior to question in fans of all ages. And I agree, youth can be a very refreshing thing.
-Concerning cowbells, Tropicana Field is the only stadium I've thus far encountered where cowbells are handed out en masse to the fans. I've been to parks where there is the occassional cowbell, and I found them just as obnoxious (though not nearly as loud, obviously). If you could let me know which other stadiums do this, I'll go prepared - and be forever grateful to you for the information.
-Finally, while I have met many nice Rays fans, I can't say that I found the majority of those I met to be that way. Yes, they do bash the other team. Yes, they do brag. And while this unfortunately has become the nature of being a fan of any team, within any sport, I found good sportsmanship to be seriously lacking at Tropicana Field.

Once again, I did not mean to offend you in any way. This is not a personal attack. I'm just giving you my perception of Rays fans today, compared both to Rays fans in the past as well as other teams' fans.
Also, let me note that I am excited for the team- this is a great turning point in their organization. And you fans do have something to be proud of. So, enjoy the postseason!

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 5:43 PM Quote
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
and in the american, i honestly would rather see the twins in the playoffs than the red sox, they may have been around a long time, and they may know their stuff, but i'd like to see some new blood in the playoffs this year, that would be fun

I'm glad to hear you're behind the Twins! We just need to take this series from the Chisox and then hang on against the Royals (which, hopefully, won't be too hard).

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 5:43 PM Quote
nothing like sports, Paul McCartney and comparing Travis to Oasis to get boardies going! and Fran.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 5:48 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
nothing like sports, Paul McCartney and comparing Travis to Oasis to get boardies going! and Fran.

I didn't mean for this to happen! I swear!

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 5:49 PM Quote
i know. im just joking.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 5:51 PM Quote
But you're right you know. Certain things tend to get people going.

Oh, and as a Twins fan, to a Canadian, thanks for Morneau!

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 6:10 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
SAM(LOS ANGELES) wrote:
and in the american, i honestly would rather see the twins in the playoffs than the red sox, they may have been around a long time, and they may know their stuff, but i'd like to see some new blood in the playoffs this year, that would be fun

I'm glad to hear you're behind the Twins! We just need to take this series from the Chisox and then hang on against the Royals (which, hopefully, won't be too hard).

i think they will,this is the time of year where you see who the real contenders are, the true identities of teams come out, i think that all three of us, you, me, and tk are rooting for winners!....a playoff run would be great! the last one for me,us, was back a couple years ago against a really good mets team, at that time, they knocked maddux around pretty good, but it was still the most fun i had experienced at the ballpark all year that year!

SAM(LOS ANGELES)
SAM(LOS ANGELES) Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:

we're cool,everybody,especially min, just calm down....

minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 24 Sep, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
But you're right you know. Certain things tend to get people going.

Oh, and as a Twins fan, to a Canadian, thanks for Morneau!

you're welcome. I'll spread the word of your thanks. I think he's from BC so im going to have to shout loudly.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:20 AM