Travis

bbc reviews ode to j.smith
accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:00 PM Quote
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/2zvr/

by Sophie Bruce
19 September 2008

Pre-release, Travis tipped their sixth studio album to be their ''loudest and edgiest yet'', their ''rockiest since their debut''. In the past, they've swung both ways, from the happy, wistful band of Driftwood to the more serious boys of Repeat Offender. But that was then and this is now – with more than a decade in the spotlight, copies of an early EP estimated at £1,000 a pop and an international status necessitating US, German and Japanese microsites.

Ode To J. Smith is certainly rockier than ever before – recorded in just two weeks, it's the first album to be written on electric guitar since their 1997 debut. However it's also more than rock - this is an eclectic, experimental mix.

Singer Fran Healy's voice is incongruously upbeat on lamenting album opener, Chinese Blues, almost-title-track, J. Smith, starts brightly before switching into rock via an unexpected choral interlude, while if Healy's voice was more Cobain-like, then the effortlessly stylish Broken Mirror would be black as Nirvana's darkest night.

Along with Broken Mirror, recent single, Something Anything, is another of the album's highlights - a sing-along chorus with riffy guitars that's reminiscent of their superfans, Oasis. Last Words is more of a country ditty with Travis' old pal the banjo tiptoeing amongst the electric guitars. While the opening chords of Friends sound eerily similar to the Rolling Stones' epic, Gimme Shelter.

Ode To J. Smith encapsulates Travis' 12 years of experience, from the peaks of BRIT Awards and celebrity cameos (think Ben Stiller in their promo for Closer as well as the band'’s recent appearance in Son Of Rambow) to the troughs of the pressures of mega fame and drummer Neil Primrose's almost-fatal neck break.

The band speak of their ''need to make an amazing record'', of a ''rush of creative urgency''. This album is certainly a rush. Their re-embrace of rock is a move forward, rather than a step back – a return to form. Travis say the album title is a tribute to its key track, while J. Smith is ''about just another nameless character''. But any namesakes would do right to feel pretty chuffed with a dedication like this.

Re: bbc reviews ode to j.smith
Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:05 PM Quote
In the past, they've swung both ways, from the happy, wistful band of Driftwood to the more serious boys of Repeat Offender.

Repeat Offender...that must be one of those Treivis songs.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:13 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:
In the past, they've swung both ways, from the happy, wistful band of Driftwood to the more serious boys of Repeat Offender.

actually i'm waiting for the new Treivis album called "Poem to J. Doe"

mili
mili Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:20 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Oh, you crack me up! Can you please come and mop up my screen and keyboard, I had some red wine in my mouth when I read that…

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:26 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Oh, you crack me up! Can you please come and mop up my screen and keyboard, I had some red wine in my mouth when I read that…

hahaha she made me laugh too, my boss put a face of "what is he laughing at?"

minnmess
minnmess Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:39 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

HAHAH! THey have so many singles now!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:50 PM Quote
Forgetting the obvious mistake, it's a great review. :) Lets hope for more like this! :)

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:52 PM Quote
Interesting they highlight Broken Mirror as a highlight. From the 1min sample, I thought it sounded utterly bland, but my mate reckons it's stunning (yep he's heard the album, no he won't send it to me lol) and it sounds like he might actually be right.

With TBWNN, in the back of my head even when we were all raving about it, I knew it wouldn't be a true classic. It wouldn't be particularly lasting. Full of 'nice' songs that completely fail to blow you away or even leave any lasting impression after the novelty wears off. IMHO. 'Ode' is so different. It sdems to have got the magic TBWNN and 12 Memories just didn't have. Good to see some reviewers realising that. The Q review is awful.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:56 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Forgetting the obvious mistake, it's a great review. :) Lets hope for more like this! :)

yeap, actually, now i'm waiting to hear Friends! O.o and Broken Mirrors this last is the one that worries me

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 6:58 PM Quote
About Broken Mirror, I know the live version from February very well. It took a while but I really started to like it. I never heard the sample from recently but I guess it didn't have the last minute or so on it. It's like Paperclips in a way but when Andy's guitar really kicks in towards the end, it becomes a lot more interesting. Look forward to hearing it. No mention of Long Way Down, Quite Free, Song To Self or Before You Were Young which are ones I love.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 7:07 PM Quote
Personally, I'm waiting for Treivis' next single: Fiends.

jesusaremus
jesusaremus Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 7:11 PM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

i'm waiting for Quite Freak

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 19 Sep, 2008 10:29 PM Quote
Glad to see that Travis got a positive review!

And happy Treivis' classic "Repeat Offender" got a mention. It's great.

I hope their new song "Strong to Stiff" gets a write-up. It's such an emotional song.

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Sat 20 Sep, 2008 10:42 AM Quote
Turtleneck wrote:

Friends is the best song so i expect it'll be the next single

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:41 PM